Gausman is beginning to remind me of Guthrie

Frobby

What's being conjectured on this post is that there is such a thing as "clutch pitching ability". A good "clutch pitcher" will give up his share of runs, but has an ability to bear down and not give runs right after his team gets him a one run lead. A bad clutch pitcher does the opposite.

My conjecture is that clutch pitching is a statistical chimera, just like clutch hitting. Gausman happened to give up one of his runs right after his team got him the lead last night, and it sucks, but that doesn't mean that Gausman has some inherent tendency to cough up leads and to give up his runs at the worst possible times.

I love you analytical folks who totally discount the mental aspect of sports and claim there is no such thing as "clutch. " There is clutch actions all the time and a true champion will come through more often or not with a game changing play or pitch or hit. It is evident in every sport too. Same as choke jobs. Watch golf sometime or the NFL as in compare a Qb like Flacco in his performance in playoff games versus regular games or ones known to choke in playoffs like Dalton or Romo.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love you analytical folks who totally discount the mental aspect of sports and claim there is no such thing as "clutch. " There is clutch actions all the time and a true champion will come through more often or not with a game changing play or pitch or hit. It is evident in every sport too. Same as choke jobs. Watch golf sometime or the NFL as in compare a Qb like Flacco in his performance in playoff games versus regular games or ones known to choke in playoffs like Dalton or Romo.

I know some posters are not at all clutch.

They can't handle the pressure of being forced to actually defend their positions and inevitably fall back on platitudes and divisive tactics.

I know some posters are not at all clutch.

They can't handle the pressure of being forced to actually defend their positions and inevitably fall back on platitudes and divisive tactics.

Or instead of throwing big words around trying to discount the obvious they apply common sense and a healthy dose of reality. How about that?

Or instead of throwing big words around trying to discount the obvious they apply common sense and a healthy dose of reality. How about that?

Good example of what I was talking about when you brought up common sense!

Meaningless of course, but good sense is a good thing so why not invoke it?

Good example of what I was talking about when you brought up common sense!

Meaningless of course, but good sense is a good thing so why not invoke it?

So you totally discount pressure situations in sports as non-existent as is the mental aspect of closing out a one run game in the 9th inning or sinking that that 14 foot put to win the Masters or hitting the game winning shot or free throw with a second remaining in the NBA or NCAA championship etc?

So you totally discount pressure situations in sports as non-existent as is the mental aspect of closing out a one run game in the 9th inning or sinking that that 14 foot put to win the Masters or hitting the game winning shot or free throw with a second remaining in the NBA or NCAA championship etc?

I don't totally discount anything, as you well know.

This isn't a question for analytics. It's a question for statistics.

Clutch hitting is a reasonable hypothesis. It just seems like common sense that some players consistently hit better in the clutch, over and above their regular hitting ability.

If clutch hitting was a repeatable skill, then players who perform well in the clutch would tend to do so year after year. That's a statistically testable hypothesis. And lots of people have looked at it, and they have found that there is very little correlation in clutch hitting performance from one year to the next, over and above the correlation in overall hitting skill.

Clutch hitting is a reasonable hypothesis. It just seems like common sense that some players consistently hit better in the clutch, over and above their regular hitting ability.

If clutch hitting was a repeatable skill, then players who perform well in the clutch would tend to do so year after year. That's a statistically testable hypothesis. And lots of people have looked at it, and they have found that there is very little correlation in clutch hitting performance from one year to the next, over and above the correlation in overall hitting skill.

it sure seemed like a repeatable skill for Eddie Murray in the late 70's :D

What I have never understood about the idea being clutch...

If I guy can raise his game in the big moments why doesn't he give that extra effort, that extra focus, on every at bat?

Did you play? If you did, I think you would understand it.

Schoop and prospects. Let's get it done.

No way Jose. Beane probably has no interest in a guy who never ever walks, to go with prospects that are rarely high regarded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pitches just well enough to not win. You can say he's had poor run support, but the O's fought back to get him the lead and he immediately coughed it up. Guthrie seemed to do that all the time.

I am very concerned about Gausman as well.

Pitches just well enough to not win. You can say he's had poor run support, but the O's fought back to get him the lead and he immediately coughed it up. Guthrie seemed to do that all the time.

No real good breaking ball makes him average even with his FB.

So not a repeatable skill eh? Apparent that depends on your definition of "repeatable" and before you give me some b.s. Definition of it defined by some statistical guru who because he is allegedly the "expert" on some arbitrary definition which doesn't mean you, me or the newspaper boy have to accept - how would Jack Nicholas winning all those Masters under extreme pressure or clutch situations NOT demonstrate a "repeatable skill? Or Michael Jordan or Paul Pierce hitting game winning shots time after time more so than anyone else NOT be a repeatable skill? Personally I don't give one iota what some data guru says, if I see with my own set of eyes someone "repeating" big time or clutch actions in sports that is evidence enough to me.

Archived