Gausman is beginning to remind me of Guthrie

Frobby

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What MLB team did he play for again?

I'll say that if you need to swtich sports to find evidence, your case might be lacking.

Your statement was there is no evidence of "clutch". Robert Horry hit more game winning buzzer beating 3's than anyone I can think of. He wasn't an especially great 3 point shooter, but you better believe the ball was going to him when it mattered. Happened with the Rockets, Lakers, and Spurs ( I believe) on numerous occasions. Horry has the "clutch" gene.

What explanation do you have for them supposedly performing better in big moments?

Pixie dust?

As someone else posted earlier, some people respond to pressure better than others.

But your statement/assumption that guys aren't giving 100% effort in their other at bats was based on what? Nothing...

You're statement was there is no evidence of "clutch". Robert Horry hit more game winning buzzer beatering 3's than anyone I can think of. He wasn't an especially great 3 point shooter, but you better believe the ball was going to him when it mattered. Happened with the Rockets, Lakers, and Spurs ( I believe) on numerous occasions. Horry has the "clutch" gene.

This is a baseball forum.

If you would like to use information gleaned from other sports would you please provide exhaustive supporting evidence.

If not you are pretty much say this is true because I say it's true.

I haven't watched an NBA game in 20 years.

How about we just go back and frame all of my statements about clutch not existing to include the phrase "in MLB Baseball"?

I know slightly more about Horry than I do Pavel Kolobkov.

As someone else posted earlier, some people respond to pressure better than others.

But your statement/assumption that guys aren't giving 100% effort in their other at bats was based on what? Nothing...

If they can do it when the pressure is on, why can't they do it with less pressure?

There are two answers.

They can't do any better when the pressure is on or they, for whatever reason, have a deficiency when the pressure isn't on.

And it wasn't a statement or an assumption it was a question.

I don't believe that most players take at bats off.

But it would explain the being "clutch" if there were any substantive evidence of "clutch" being a thing in baseball.

You do know this whole time you are arguing a position with little to none factual basis right?

This is a baseball forum.

If you would like to use information gleaned from other sports would you please provide exhaustive supporting evidence.

If not you are pretty much say this is true because I say it's true.

I haven't watched an NBA game in 20 years.

How about we just go back and frame all of my statements about clutch not existing to include the phrase "in MLB Baseball"?

I know slightly more about Horry than I do Pavel Kolobkov.

If you want to see "clutch" in action, watch Robert Horry's career highlights.

Keeping it to baseball, as I said in an earlier post, "clutch" may not be as big of a factor because of the sheer amount of luck that goes into baseball. That said, my whole problem with your statement was that you're making a wild assumption that you couldn't possibly back up.

There have been 70,326 Plate Appearances in 2016 by the thirty MLB Ball Clubs.

These PA's had a total of 923 that were Game Ending. the slash line for game ending PA's is .067/.069/.173/.242

There were 65 Walk Off RBI's from all thirty teams so far in 2016 but 61 were with the game tied only FOUR were walk off RBI's when the team was behind in the score.

That is being CLUTCH in My Opinion. So with that standard in place here are the

Clutch Performing Batters so far in 2016:

4 Batters

Scott Schebler

Melvin Upton

Leonys Martin

Khris Davis

On the flip side, these are the non-Clutch pitchers:

4 Pitchers

Kenley Jansen

Dalier Hinojosa

Shawn Tolleson

Ryan Madson

Go through Guthrie's games with us and you'll see a pattern. We'd get him a lead, he'd give it right back the next half inning. I actually thought the same thing last night.

Another post mentioned that pitcher wins are meaningless, which we all get. With that said, when your offense is battling against a tough starter and grabs a lead for you in the 6th inning, you have one job as a pitcher.....go out and shut down the opponent in that half inning.

Hopefully this is just a one off situation. KG was battling his command last night and the fact that he got us a "quality start" is sold. My fear is that, despite what appears to be good stuff and obvious talent, Gausman is going to end up as simply a decent starter, rather than the top of the rotation difference maker we were all hoping for. We'll see.

Not buying it. Pretty sure you can play that game with every pitcher (other than aces) who played on very poor teams.

Not buying it. Pretty sure you can play that game with every pitcher (other than aces) who played on very poor teams.

I hear what you're saying but I just see it differently.

It's not just about run support, per se. It's about timing and it's about doing your job. Your team gives you the lead, you go put up a zero.

I understand it's going to happen where you give back the lead but sometimes you have to go out and find a way to win a 3-2, 2-1 type game.

I can't imagine anything more frustrating for position players than battling against a tough pitcher to grab a lead, then see your starter cough it right back up the next half inning. It irritates me and I'm just sitting on the sofa.

Or instead of throwing big words around trying to discount the obvious they apply common sense and a healthy dose of reality. How about that?

I've never thought C-o-C throws big words around. You may be confusing him with Allquixotic.

I know some posters are not at all clutch.

They can't handle the pressure of being forced to actually defend their positions and inevitably fall back on platitudes and divisive tactics.

Hey I thought we were supposed to keep politics out of it.

If they do than I assume they are slacking in those other at bats. You get 4-5 at bats a game and you are telling me that you should be lauded for only giving max effort in "clutch" moments?

Maybe it's the other way around. Clutch players don't play (on average) any better in high-leverage situations; they just don't "choke" like some others do, like the Mets' defense in last year's WS. Although if you believe the theory that pitchers tend to to give less than maximum effort when facing weak hitters (the automatic breather supposedly provided by the ninth spot in NL lineups), maybe clutch hitters are those that are better able to deal with pitchers giving their best in high-leverage situations. (Of course, just speculating here.)

What MLB team did he play for again?

I'll say that if you need to swtich sports to find evidence, your case might be lacking.

Well, there was Bob Horner.

Does anyone know why he had a relatively short career? I assume it was some type of injury but his career record shows a pretty consistent high level of performance as a slugger.

Archived