Solving the knuckler

Frobby

Steven Wright has been remarkably tough this year, including his complete game against us on May 30. We were pretty patient in that game, drawing 5 walks, but just couldn't make good contact off the guy. So what do we need to do differently this time? Is there something we can do, or do we just have to hope Wright has an off-day?

On the post-game show, Rick Dempsey suggested that the hitters should move up in the batter's box to allow less distance for the ball to break.

On the other hand, maybe our RH hitters just have to try to pull everything, knowing that some of the high pop-ups that will result will hit off or clear the Green Monster. If Wright has a flaw this year, it's that he has been merely good at Fenway (3.07 ERA), whereas he's been almost unhittable on the road (1.54 ERA).

One thing I'd like to see is that we break out the running game a little if we manage to get the right people on base. Interestingly, though, Wright has been quite successful at preventing steals. Only 2 of 5 have been successful. But I still think it's worth it considering Hanigan's struggles at catching the knuckler.

Suggestions? In any event, Kevin Gausman will need to be on his game.

Steven Wright has been remarkably tough this year, including his complete game against us on May 30. We were pretty patient in that game, drawing 5 walks, but just couldn't make good contact off the guy. So what do we need to do differently this time? Is there something we can do, or do we just have to hope Wright has an off-day?

On the post-game show, Rick Dempsey suggested that the hitters should move up in the batter's box to allow less distance for the ball to break.

On the other hand, maybe our RH hitters just have to try to pull everything, knowing that some of the high pop-ups that will result will hit off or clear the Green Monster. If Wright has a flaw this year, it's that he has been merely good at Fenway (3.07 ERA), whereas he's been almost unhittable on the road (1.54 ERA).

One thing I'd like to see is that we break out the running game a little if we manage to get the right people on base. Interestingly, though, Wright has been quite successful at preventing steals. Only 2 of 5 have been successful. But I still think it's worth it considering Hanigan's struggles at catching the knuckler.

Just gotta hope it's one of them days when his knuckler is fat over the plate. :P

I think the stealing bases idea is a good one. Who cd try it? Machado, Reimold, Rickard, maybe Jones and Kim?

Whenever we face a knuckle-baller, it always feels a little like that old Bugs Bunny cartoon.

The last time we faced Wright, sadly that's not that far off. :laughlol: If he throws it for strikes and has the same command he did last time it's going to be agonizing to watch. :o

Swing hard in case you hit it!

Taking until strike one is a worth a try also.

Maybe ambush first pitch NOT knucklers.

End of the day if knuckleballer is on, its going to be a long day.

Eddie Gamboa is having a nice year in relief at AAA. I wish we would have kept him. I was always a huge fan. Maybe relief is better while learning bc it's more opportunities to practice.

Pray for Orlando. End the hate.

I wouldn't swing until I had two strikes. I think the odds are in favor of getting 4 balls before he can throw 3 strikes. Or sit on the FB when he's behind in the count and has to throw a strike.

Good strategy for a stretch. But if the guy can throw it over consistently your looking at 0-2 counts and no knuckles over the plate.

I would actually start the game taking. Make him prove he can throw it over. Then swing away early once he does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived