JJ Hardy rehab at Bowie - could be back soon

Redskins Rick

The team has done pretty well in his absence, 23-16

I can't wait to get him back and playing.

Last night, he played in Bowie and Roch posted this:

* Shortstop J.J. Hardy singled twice in three at-bats and played in the field for six innings last night at Double-A Bowie. He?s staying with the Baysox for two more games.

Some will want to send Flash down and keep Janish, since Ryan has options.

In the games Hardy has missed:

- Flaherty has a .597 OPS in 100 PA and has made 2 errors at 3B

- Janish has a .468 OPS in 27 PA

- Pedro Alvarez has started 6 games at 3B and has 3 errors in 8 chances

- Manny has made 6 errors at SS

Note that Hardy hadn't made an error all year before his injury (22 games), and Manny had made only one error at 3B (23 games).

Overall, I think the SS/3B defense has been respectable in Hardy's absence, except when Alvarez has been at 3B. But it has not been close to as good as it is when Hardy is at SS and Manny is at 3B. And we've taken an offensive hit as well, even though Hardy was just doing so-so through 22 games. It will be great to have Hardy back.

(P.S. -- Sorry to rely so heavily on errors to describe the defense. The more sophisticated stats also back up what I'm saying, but since they are not that reliable in small samples I decided to omit them.)

In the games Hardy has missed:

- Flaherty has a .597 OPS in 100 PA and has made 2 errors at 3B

- Janish has a .468 OPS in 27 PA

- Pedro Alvarez has started 6 games at 3B and has 3 errors in 8 chances

- Manny has made 6 errors at SS

Note that Hardy hadn't made an error all year before his injury (22 games), and Manny had made only one error at 3B (23 games).

Overall, I think the SS/3B defense has been respectable in Hardy's absence, except when Alvarez has been at 3B. But it has not been close to as good as it is when Hardy is at SS and Manny is at 3B. And we've taken an offensive hit as well, even though Hardy was just doing so-so through 22 games. It will be great to have Hardy back.

(P.S. -- Sorry to rely so heavily on errors to describe the defense. The more sophisticated stats also back up what I'm saying, but since they are not that reliable in small samples I decided to omit them.)

Flaherty has made 2 errors, but, he has made several plays, that most other 3rds around the league, wouldn't have gotten to.

Flash isn't Manny with the glove or the bat, but with the glove, he is a plus defender at 3rd and for 2-3 week fill-in, the team can survive.

Getting JJ back is good this team and should help them!

Can't. Wait.

Manny and Flash have been solid with the glove at SS and 3B, respectively, but I can't wait for Manny to get back to 3B. Machado is solid at SS, but a real difference maker at 3B. Personally, even with Hardy out I would start Machado at 3B and Flash/Janish at SS. Hurry up JJ!

Can't. Wait.

Manny and Flash have been solid with the glove at SS and 3B, respectively, but I can't wait for Manny to get back to 3B. Machado is solid at SS, but a real difference maker at 3B. Personally, even with Hardy out I would start Machado at 3B and Flash/Janish at SS. Hurry up JJ!

Be glad when JJ is back.

The SS/3B defense and offense will be better. I'm thinking he'll be back with us on Friday. Will we send Flaherty down or DFA Janish? I know DD doesn't like to lose players and Janish is good depth. Looks like Flaherty is going down to AAA.

Flash can play more positions than Janish and is a better hitter.

Buck loves Flash and having him available. Not, sure I buy Janish staying over Ryan.

Be glad when JJ is back.

I could be imagining this, and ultimately I don't know how much autonomy our infielders have with their positioning, but it seems like Hardy is better positioned than Machado when playing SS. Hardy seems to get to more balls hit up the middle, where as Machado looks to be playing too far towards 3B on a lot of occasions.

Again, I could be completely wrong, but that's what I see.

I kind of had a laugh at this:

Orioles shortstop J.J. Hardy could be activated from the disabled list on Saturday after working out for about an hour today at Camden Yards.

The alternative is to send Hardy to Single-A Frederick this weekend and continue his rehab assignment. He played in three games at Double-A Bowie and stayed on the field for nine innings last night.

Hardy went 4-for-11 with a walk and strikeout at Bowie. The Orioles are letting him decide whether he’s ready to come off the disabled list after fracturing his left foot on May 1.

"We’re leaning on J.J. on this," said manager Buck Showalter. "He's moving around real good on defense."

The final test for Hardy is running the bases without discomfort or any restrictions. He wants to be able to score from second base on a single and from first base on a double.

I'm thinking of the guy who has a broken hand and asks his doctor, "When it heals will I be able to play the piano?" The doc says "Of course." "That's great, I could never play it before!"

I kind of had a laugh at this:

I'm thinking of the guy who has a broken hand and asks his doctor, "When it heals will I be able to play the piano?" The doc says "Of course." "That's great, I could never play it before!"

I think JJ scored from first on a Delmon Young double against the Tigers a couple of years ago, but it wasn't an important play or anything. :)

Archived