Anyone else excited about what Schoop has done?

Oriolesfan4life

You mean a Hall of Famer. Like Grich and his twin Derek Jeter?

Grich and Don Baylor put up tremendous minor league numbers coming up the O's system. I think they might have kept Grich at SS if it wasn't for Belanger's presence. It would have been very interesting if he had stayed at SS. I love Grich, but it's hard to get over him leaving the O's and seeing him look like he gained 40 lbs of muscle almost overnight.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
His range has been below average every year except 2014.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=11265&position=2B

Schoop is probably my favorite player but let's not pretend that he's an elite defensive 2B.

What Schoop lacks in range he makes up for by being able to turn double plays that other 2nd basemen can't hang in there and turn. He's a linebacker at 2nd base and that helps deter people from wanting to slide into 2nd with him dropping a tag on you.

Schoop is having a great year. It's a shame that AL is so stacked at 2nd base.

Just browsing this thread and it makes me wonder if he's becoming our modern day version of Bobby Grich? Part of an incredible DP combo (Belanger and Grich) and a 2B with power for our times ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Both could turn the DP well, but Grich was a SS moved to 2B and won multiple gold gloves. His OPS+ from 23 to 27 (his 5 years as a starter in Baltimore) were 127, 116, 135, 130, 138. And all that was before he turned in some even more impressive offensive numbers in Anaheim.

Schoop's playing well, but his career OPS+ is only 93 and 114 this season. It's fun to watch him play the way he is right now, but I don't see how his level of offense can be sustained without significantly better plate discipline.

Both could turn the DP well, but Grich was a SS moved to 2B and won multiple gold gloves. His OPS+ from 23 to 27 (his 5 years as a starter in Baltimore) were 127, 116, 135, 130, 138. And all that was before he turned in some even more impressive offensive numbers in Anaheim.

Schoop's playing well, but his career OPS+ is only 93 and 114 this season. It's fun to watch him play the way he is right now, but I don't see how his level of offense can be sustained without significantly better plate discipline.

I remember in one of those Prime Nine MLB list episodes, they had Belanger - Grich at #1 as All-Time DP combo. It was really nice to see some footage of both in their Orioles years. This one ranked them at 5.

http://www.complex.com/sports/2014/04/the-greatest-double-play-duos-in-mlb-history/joe-morgan-dave-concepcion-reds

You and me both.Check my previous posts comparing him to Cano.This year, Cano has 19 HR to Schoops 16 and is hitting .299 to Schoops .291, so a better year by a thin margin, but Schoop is 24 and Cano is 34...who would YOU rather have LONG TERM?

For the rest of their careers? I'd probably take Schoop, but it would be close. But Schoop's prime is not likely to resemble Cano's prime IMO. His lack of plate discipline will always be an issue. Cano was worth 6.7 WAR at age 24. Schoop will be worth slightly more than half that if he continues to play as he has for the rest of the season.

That would be a terrible trade for the White Sox. Sale is a legit ace and one of the top 5 starting pitchers in the game.

Sale will make 12 million dollars next year and then will probably exercise his buyout to hit free agency. Schoop is under team control for cheap until 2020. Sale is certainly the more valuable player, even at 12 million a year, but 1 year of Sale for 12 million dollars is not worth more than four years of Schoop.

Sale will make 12 million dollars next year and then will probably exercise his buyout to hit free agency. Schoop is under team control for cheap until 2020. Sale is certainly the more valuable player, even at 12 million a year, but 1 year of Sale for 12 million dollars is not worth more than four years of Schoop.

Sale can't opt out. Those are team options. He and Schoop both become free agents after 2019.

Actually Sale's contract includes team options for 2018 at $12.5 Million and 2019 at $13.5 million or $15 million depending on the info source. They are not player options.

Sale can't opt out. Those are team options. He and Schoop both become free agents after 2019.

You're right. I'm mistaken. I'll still contend that the gap in salary isn't insignificant, but clearly Sale is the more valuable player.

Actually Sale's contract includes team options for 2018 at $12.5 Million and 2019 at $13.5 million or $15 million depending on the info source. They are not player options.

I've acknowledged the error. I knew about the team options, but I was reading the 1 million-dollar buyout as Sale's, which isn't the case.

Are you nuts? I wouldnt trade Schoop straight up for Sale.Hes going to be a muliple AS performer in years to come.

You might be the only person in the world who wouldn't make that trade straight up. The White Sox would slam the phone down instantly.

Archived