The Balk Rule (Sunday's Game)

Nevermore

Not sure if this topic belongs here or somewhere else. But I'm confused about the balk rule. What exactly did Ubaldo do that resulted in a call of a balk? I've seen pitchers start their windup and then suddenly stopped and turned toward 2nd or 3rd base and a balk wasn't called.

Very confused. :confused:

Not sure if this topic belongs here or somewhere else. But I'm confused about the balk rule. What exactly did Ubaldo do that resulted in a call of a balk? I've seen pitchers start their windup and then suddenly stopped and turned toward 2nd or 3rd base and a balk wasn't called.

I think in that instantaneous, While he was on the rubber, he made a motion associated with his pitch and didn't complete the delivery.

Now if someone could explain to me what makes a checked swing and what doesn't I would appreciate it. I can never tell is someone swung through or not. :laughlol:

Part 8.05 (a) certainly applies based on what I saw:

(a) The pitcher, while touching his plate, makes any motion naturally associated with his pitch and fails to make such delivery;

It looked to me like Ubaldo became aware of the runner moving after he began his windup, then failed to complete the pitch.

Yea Ubaldo had started his move to the plate and lifted his leg and it's like he was surprised when the runner on first took off. So he stopped and looked at first and then third...Balk. Run scoring at that.

I think in that instantaneous, While he was on the rubber, he made a motion associated with his pitch and didn't complete the delivery.

Now if someone could explain to me what makes a checked swing and what doesn't I would appreciate it. I can never tell is someone swung through or not. :laughlol:

There is no checked swing rule. It is a strike if in the umpire's judgment the player tried to swing.

Despaigne did not balk. This ump has been making bad calls for both teams all night. A pitcher can't get a break,

The Dodgers' relievers worked around the tight and unpredictable strike zone, and our hitters didn't make use of it -- or even try, it seemed. It seems like our relievers other than Brach and Britton (and Givens for the most part) can't pitch out of trouble, and our hitters other than Kim go up there hacking and trying to hit the long ball whether or not the situation calls for it. :angryfire:

If the score is different we use our shut down guys.

This. Exactly. This isn't football. You can't say a holding call in the 3rd quarter necessarily costs you a 14 point loss. However a call like that costs you the rest of a baseball game's moves. Especially on the road.

This. Exactly. This isn't football. You can't say a holding call in the 3rd quarter necessarily costs you a 14 point loss. However a call like that costs you the rest of a baseball game's moves. Especially on the road.

That's true. And nobody I've heard from saw a balk. But there are a number of reasons we lost tonight. Among them was the fact that over the last 5 2/3 innings the offense, which carries the team almost every time it wins (along with the relief pitching), had two singles, no walks and no runs against five Dodger relievers.

Despaigne did not balk. This ump has been making bad calls for both teams all night. A pitcher can't get a break,
I was wondering about that. He was in the stretch. He paused (as he is supposed to do). And then he threw his pitch. I don't think that this fulfills the condition of a balk.

Archived