Orioles 2016 All-Stars

ArtVanDelay

I don't understand how people are having so much difficulty with his opinion. He's not saying Brach hasn't been good in 2016, he's saying he doesn't think All-Star selections should be based on who is having the best half season in 2016. I don't agree with him, nor do I care even a little bit about who makes it and who doesn't, but it's not an opinion worthy of the backlash he's getting.

I agree with you that he's bashing the Brach selection based on what he thinks is the basis for getting into an all-star game. And to emphasize that, it's what he thinks - as if fans and managers are told to select based on a particular way. I don't necessarily have a problem with that. Different people take the meaning of the all-star game in different ways. But in typical Keith Law fashion he's being a snob about it with people on Twitter.

What I don't like are his write-ups on those who shouldn't have been selected, including Brach. Here's what we wrote on him:

What the hell is Brad Brach doing on an All-Star roster? He was replacement-level until last year and barely better than that in 2015, and he has had a fluke performance of 1.01 ERA in 44 innings this year, so he gets to go to San Diego while many better, more valuable, more deserving pitchers, such as Quintana and Kluber, are left off the roster. Brach is emblematic of the worst tendencies of the All-Star decision-making process -- I don't mean fans here, as Brach was a manager selection -- with both the emphasis on current-year performance and the overrating of middle relievers, the most fungible class of players in baseball. Worst of all, Brach isn't a token player from a team without a better option; he isn't even the only Orioles reliever on the roster, to say nothing of the fact that one of the best players in baseball will represent Baltimore at third base. This spot should have gone to Quintana, to pick just one of a few dozen more deserving players.

He certainly wasn't "barely above replacement level" last year and he certainly isn't this year having already racked up 2.5 bWAR (which is even listed under his name in the article!). I get that he goes by fWAR which seems to give lower value to pitchers and higher value to hitters but his statement is still isn't very accurate.

God forbid anyone pitch to an ERA below their FIP too. Do that and it's deemed "fluky" without even looking into his body of work over the last year with more detail. You don't just fluke yourself into a 0.99 ERA, 0.788 WHIP and 10.4 K/9 over 45 IP which is 5th in the league for all relievers, tied for 1st for relievers who aren't long men. And like someone mentioned earlier, he doesn't seem to have a problem with Betances being selected. I guess Betances has suddenly become a big name worthy of a yearly AS selection in his book.

Overall, I'm pretty surprised Brach was selected when looking at the situation in a vacuum. Considering Yost is the manager and his affinity for relievers, I'm not. Brach is performing like the best setup man in baseball this year and that has a lot of value. I happen to think Law is a pretty smart dude but he has a habit of letting his ego get in the way of expressing his thoughts in a better way.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keith Law is the guy at the party that feels inclined to educate you on why the beer your drinking is far inferior to the craft brews he gets locally. Oh and does so with a smug grin on his face.

*Note: would love to have an entire topic of "Keith Law is the type of guy who..."

I don't understand how people are having so much difficulty with his opinion. He's not saying Brach hasn't been good in 2016, he's saying he doesn't think All-Star selections should be based on who is having the best half season in 2016. I don't agree with him, nor do I care even a little bit about who makes it and who doesn't, but it's not an opinion worthy of the backlash he's getting.

I'm sure the vast majority of the Brach backlash is coming from a single fanbase.

If he had said the same thing about a guy from the Red Sox some of the same people who are now upset would be nodding their heads in agreement.

I personally think the 2016 all star game should be about what players have done thus far in 2016, and the manager should pick the guys he thinks will win him the game.

Keith Law is the guy at the party that feels inclined to educate you on why the beer your drinking is far inferior to the craft brews he gets locally. Oh and does so with a smug grin on his face.

*Note: would love to have an entire topic of "Keith Law is the type of guy who..."

Worse. He's the neighbor that doesn't get invited and then calls the cops.

Forgive me. I stayed up too late last night watching our All-Stars close out the game. I've been dragging today. :)

No worries.

On the Keith Law front, I think the most amusing thing is that he refuses to state which stats are acceptable for judging relievers. Will only say that those brought to him aren't good measures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure the vast majority of the Brach backlash is coming from a single fanbase.

If he had said the same thing about a guy from the Red Sox some of the same people who are now upset would be nodding their heads in agreement.

I personally think the 2016 all star game should be about what players have done thus far in 2016, and the manager should pick the guys he thinks will win him the game.

CoC, you are such an idealist! :eek:

(And you're right)

Craft beers are superior:) why drink crappy light beer nowadays?:)

Flying Dog

Evolution

Great Divide

Ballast Pointe

Stone

Founders

The list is endless, just saying:)

Not sure I can agree with this. This is simply a bad look for Keith, regardless of teams or fanbases.

He's acting consistent with the caricature of the advanced stat community that is often raised (erroneously in most cases). He's doing the equivalent of plugging his ears and shouting "UNSUSTAINABLE!" Over and over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived