Rarest of Baseball Observances?

Filmstudy

A positional player going 0 for 8, and then pitching two scoreless innings to get the win. It hadn't happened in 107 years until Chris Davis did it in 2012.

I think that and the Tippy Martinez feat of throwing out 3 guys at 1st base to end the inning are the two most rare (and freakish) things I've seen as a fan.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've seen a player hit for the cycle at least 4 times in Orioles games.

I've seen a number of no hitters.

I've seen a bunch of triple plays.

I can only vaguely recall once previously seeing a balk due to a dropped baseball before.

The only thing I've seen close to that is a balk falling/slipping off the rubber and then dropping the ball.

That looked like he just lost his grip on the ball, what a break for the O's, take all of those we can get :)

I saw Frank Robinson bang the ball out of Memorial stadium just unreal blast, but seeing Tippy picking those 3 guys off 1st I don't think I'll ever see that again.

Jesse Orosco pitching for the O's, came in to pitch in the 9th with 2 outs and the bases loaded...first he threw a decoy pickoff to 1st. Then he threw his real pickoff to first and got him.

So he got the save without ever throwing a pitch to the plate. Does anyone else remember the specifics of that? I was watching on TV. Can't be too many pitchers that got the save without throwing a pitch.

I was there for Tippy's feat, and I remember being in bad seats and not believing that the inning was over.

I was listening to the game on static filled WBAL all the way down here in SC. An amazing experience.

I was also watching the O's game on TV when with runners on 1st and 3rd, there was a flyout hit to Mike Devereaux. The runner on 3rd tagged up and ran and Devereaux threw him out at the plate. Then the baserunner on first was thrown out trying to advance.

Triple play with a flyout and 2 assist outs throwing. Anyone else remember that?

Jesse Orosco pitching for the O's, came in to pitch in the 9th with 2 outs and the bases loaded...first he threw a decoy pickoff to 1st. Then he threw his real pickoff to first and got him.

So he got the save without ever throwing a pitch to the plate. Does anyone else remember the specifics of that? I was watching on TV. Can't be too many pitchers that got the save without throwing a pitch.

I think Don Stanhouse might have done the same thing.

Later on when I have some time I'll see if I can find the game in bb-ref.

Incidental note: autocorrect wants to change Stanhouse to Steakhouse if you are not careful.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I saw back to back to back HRs vs Ben McDonald and he won the game vs the Tigers. I saw two guys tag up and score on a fly ball to center field hit by Albert Bell of the Indians. I saw Ryan Minor start at third base the day that Cal decided to take a day off. I saw Jackie Brandt pinch hit for Boog Powell after he hit a loooong foul ball vs the Yanks in 1964. He doubled.

Some of the details don't match, but I think you must be talking about this game: May 21, 1997.

It was two on (not bases loaded) and it was the eighth inning (not the ninth), but Orosco came in and picked off a runner at first to end the inning. So he got one out without officially facing a hitter. No save, though.

I think Don Stanhouse might have done the same thing.

He did indeed: Sept. 4, 1978. Stanhouse came in with two on and two outs in the 9th and picked off Carlton Fisk at first base to end the game.

Even stranger was the fact that there was also a runner at second at the time. So how did Fisk get caught off of first?

He did indeed: Sept. 4, 1978. Stanhouse came in with two on and two outs in the 9th and picked off Carlton Fisk at first base to end the game.

Even stranger was the fact that there was also a runner at second at the time. So how did Fisk get caught off of first?

What's crazy about that, which I didnt remember at all, was that Fisk was picked off first with runners on first and second!

Sounds like a pretty stupid play on the part of Fisk, the guy who later chewed out Deion Sanders for not respecting the game when he didn't run out a ground ball.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Archived