Rarest of Baseball Observances?

Filmstudy

I've seen a player hit for the cycle at least 4 times in Orioles games.

I've seen a number of no hitters.

I've seen a bunch of triple plays.

I can only vaguely recall once previously seeing a balk due to a dropped baseball before.

When I was in little league baseball back in the mid 70s, by favorite pitcher was surprise...Jim Palmer.

So I tried to imitate him with my pitching. I would bring by leg up high similar to Palmer. One time, when I was on the mound, when I brought my leg up, I caught the ball on my leg as my hand passed by my leg. The ball hit the ground and rolled to the front of the mound and I was called for a balk.

When I was watching the game yesterday and he dropped the ball, I knew immediately what the call was going to be and it immediately brought my memory back to my little league game in the 70s.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've seen a player hit for the cycle at least 4 times in Orioles games.

I've seen a number of no hitters.

I've seen a bunch of triple plays.

I can only vaguely recall once previously seeing a balk due to a dropped baseball before.

I saw the Orioles with three runners on third base. Two runners were standing on third and the 3B tagged both for one out. Then, for some strange reason, Brady came tearing around second and was tagged out sliding into third to complete the DP.

I think Don Stanhouse might have done the same thing.

Later on when I have some time I'll see if I can find the game in bb-ref.

Incidental note: autocorrect wants to change Stanhouse to Steakhouse if you are not careful.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You have to be careful with autocorrect. It's messed me up before when i didnt

notice it.

I can't let a thread like this go without brainstorming some exceptionally rare things in baseball...

- Anyone ever seen an automatic triple? As in Rule 7.05 (b): (b) Three bases, if a fielder deliberately touches a fair ball with his cap, mask or any part of his uniform detached from its proper place on his person. The ball is in play and the batter may advance to home base at his peril;

- How about the part of the balk rule (8.05 (f)) that states the pitcher can't pitch when he's not facing the batter?

- Or rule 4.15 (g), mandating that the game be forfeited if one of the teams doesn't show up for the second game of a doubleheader within 20 minutes of the conclusion of the first game?

- Or 6.05 (n): With two out, a runner on third base, and two strikes on the batter, the runner attempts to steal home base on a legal pitch and the ball touches the runner in the batter?s strike zone. The umpire shall call ?Strike Three,? the batter is out and the run shall not count; before two are out, the umpire shall call ?Strike Three,? the ball is dead, and the run counts.

I saw the Brooklyn Cyclones turn a 2-6-4 triple play yesterday against Hudson Valley. I don't recall if I have ever seen a triple play live before. I know the non-unassisted type is not THAT rare, but it was pretty cool to see. I don't think the 2-6-4 variety is very common either. It was a popped sac bunt with runners on 1st and 2nd.

I can't let a thread like this go without brainstorming some exceptionally rare things in baseball...

- Anyone ever seen an automatic triple? As in Rule 7.05 (b): (b) Three bases, if a fielder deliberately touches a fair ball with his cap, mask or any part of his uniform detached from its proper place on his person. The ball is in play and the batter may advance to home base at his peril;

- How about the part of the balk rule (8.05 (f)) that states the pitcher can't pitch when he's not facing the batter?

- Or rule 4.15 (g), mandating that the game be forfeited if one of the teams doesn't show up for the second game of a doubleheader within 20 minutes of the conclusion of the first game?

- Or 6.05 (n): With two out, a runner on third base, and two strikes on the batter, the runner attempts to steal home base on a legal pitch and the ball touches the runner in the batter?s strike zone. The umpire shall call ?Strike Three,? the batter is out and the run shall not count; before two are out, the umpire shall call ?Strike Three,? the ball is dead, and the run counts.

Wait, what? Is this intended to penalize a showboat who catches a fly/pop in his hat? And how can it be an automatic triple but also a live ball? What a weird rule.

Wait, what? Is this intended to penalize a showboat who catches a fly/pop in his hat? And how can it be an automatic triple but also a live ball? What a weird rule.

My guess is that this rule came about before modern fielding gloves, and it may have been an advantage to use your cap. But maybe not as it also references "mask", although I suppose there was a brief period in the 1870s-1880s where most catchers wore masks but most fielders didn't wear gloves.

I have never seen or heard of 7.05(b) being called at any level, but I've been aware of the rule since I was a kid. I always thought it would be good to deny an opposing HR, but I later found out the umpire has the ability to award a 4th base (that rule may have been amended). I've certainly seen kids do it on the sandlot, but never in organized ball.

Something else I have seen rarely, but more common than a dropped pitch, is a single awarded on a fan interference play. That happened occasionally at Fenway when the fans would reach over for a ground ball on the seats along the line that face back towards home.

I have never seen or heard of 7.05(b) being called at any level, but I've been aware of the rule since I was a kid. I always thought it would be good to deny an opposing HR, but I later found out the umpire has the ability to award a 4th base (that rule may have been amended). I've certainly seen kids do it on the sandlot, but never in organized ball.

Something else I have seen rarely, but more common than a dropped pitch, is a single awarded on a fan interference play. That happened occasionally at Fenway when the fans would reach over for a ground ball on the seats along the line that face back towards home.

When the Birds were at San Diego and Rickard was robbed from a catch-able foul ball, the umpire ruled the batter out, on fan interference.

Here's one that I'm not sure has been used since 1900:

Rule 6.09 (d) A fair fly ball that passes out of the playing field at a point less than 250 feet from home base shall entitle the batter to advance to second base only;

This probably should have been used in a bizarre 2008 Dodgers exhibition at the LA Coliseum where it was 201 to LF, but accounts of the game seem to indicate anything over the fence was a homer. I believe this was used occasionally in the 1800s, possibly at post-1884 games at Lakefront Park in Chicago. It had Little League-like dimensions and before Babe Ruth something like 5 of the top 10 HR seasons of all time were by 1884 White Stockings; after/before (both?) the year those were all doubles.

I'm not aware of any regular season MLB games since 1900 in parks with a fence shorter than 250', but I'm pretty sure there have been minor league games that used this.

My guess is that this rule came about before modern fielding gloves, and it may have been an advantage to use your cap. But maybe not as it also references "mask", although I suppose there was a brief period in the 1870s-1880s where most catchers wore masks but most fielders didn't wear gloves.

I think it also prevents you from throwing your glove up in the air to stop a fly ball from going over your head.

Although if it is going to go over the fence for a HR, still seems like throwing the glove at it to make it a triple might be worth a shot.

I think it also prevents you from throwing your glove up in the air to stop a fly ball from going over your head.

Although if it is going to go over the fence for a HR, still seems like throwing the glove at it to make it a triple might be worth a shot.

That's what I thought for years, but it's not because the umpire has the ability to award a 4th base. I don't know if that's codified in the rules or in instructions to the umpires.

Archived