Give Bundy a few starts?

BarclaySouthway

How should we use Bundy the rest of the year?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How should we use Bundy the rest of the year?

• Leave him in his present role
    • Give him a couple starts and try to stay under the innings limit.
    • Put him in the rotation and start him the rest of the year.

This poll is closed to new votes

The O's have 17 straight games out of the all-star break that take them to the trade deadline. What do you think about giving the kid a few starts during that stretch? Beyond our top 2 starters, he's got the best chance to give us 5+ good innings. I think I am for it.

If his limit is in the 80 range, three 5-inning starts leave him with about 30 innings to go in the last 58 games. And maybe we pick up a serviceable starter at the deadline.

It doesn't solve our starting pitching woes, but it might help keep us afloat into August.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't be surprised if he goes in the rotation after the All-Star break. The O's could start him off with 3 innings for the first 2 or 3 starts, and piggyback Worley with him. Between Worley and Bundy, hopefully the O's could get 6 or even 7 innings. Its got to be better than being down by 5 runs or more when Ubaldo starts. I wouldn't expect Bundy to go past 80 pitches per start until September. Does anyone want to explain why he is limited to only 80 innings? I don't see why he couldn't pitch up to 100 innings, if he wasn't stressed or extended in any one outing.

I wouldn't be surprised if he goes in the rotation after the All-Star break. The O's could start him off with 3 innings for the first 2 or 3 starts, and piggyback Worley with him. Between Worley and Bundy, hopefully the O's could get 6 or even 7 innings. Its got to be better than being down by 5 runs or more when Ubaldo starts. I wouldn't expect Bundy to go past 80 pitches per start until September. Does anyone want to explain why he is limited to only 80 innings? I don't see why he couldn't pitch up to 100 innings, if he wasn't stressed or extended in any one outing.

I don't see the point in starting Bundy just to go 3 innings. He can do that out of the BP. Why not just start Worley and hope he can go 5?

Thomas Karakolis was one of the lead authors of a 2015 study that looked at innings limits and pitcher injuries which concluded, ?inning limits alone cannot be used to protect young professional pitchers against the threat of injury.? He said baseball should navigate away from the simple method of injury prevention and toward something geared toward each individual.

?There should be something other than innings limit,? Karakolis, a baseball biomechanics expert, said. ?But we can?t just jump to the first thing that sounds good.?

Karakolis' study looked at young pitchers in the MLB, attempting to find a relationship between innings pitched and injury rate.

Yet Karakolis' study found both "no significant correlation" between innings pitched and future injury and no relationship between a year-by-year increase in work and future injury. Limits alone aren't the lone answer, the study found, Karakolis calling it a "blanket" solution to a complex problem.

http://http://www.ibtimes.com/do-innings-limits-work-baseball-mlb-working-toward-new-solutions-2100599

Thomas Karakolis was one of the lead authors of a 2015 study that looked at innings limits and pitcher injuries which concluded, ?inning limits alone cannot be used to protect young professional pitchers against the threat of injury.? He said baseball should navigate away from the simple method of injury prevention and toward something geared toward each individual.

?There should be something other than innings limit,? Karakolis, a baseball biomechanics expert, said. ?But we can?t just jump to the first thing that sounds good.?

Karakolis' study looked at young pitchers in the MLB, attempting to find a relationship between innings pitched and injury rate.

Yet Karakolis' study found both "no significant correlation" between innings pitched and future injury and no relationship between a year-by-year increase in work and future injury. Limits alone aren't the lone answer, the study found, Karakolis calling it a "blanket" solution to a complex problem.

http://http://www.ibtimes.com/do-innings-limits-work-baseball-mlb-working-toward-new-solutions-2100599

Thanks for that information. It is very interesting. It always seems to me that baseball organizations seem to latch on to the latest trend and maybe run it into the ground. "Billy Ball" one of the latest trends. 5 man rotations versus 4 man ones, etc. Now they train pitchers that 5-6 innings as a starter is all they need to do. Pitchers like Palmer, Seaver, Carlton, Sutton were certainly pretty successful for long careers pitching 300 plus innings a year and 20 plus complete games in a year as well. That and players didn't have the sophisticated training techniques of today. I also don't believe that the Bundy's and Ben McDonald's of this world were not the first pitchers over used in high school and college before as well.

There seems to be some confusion between "Innings Limits aren't enough" and "Innings Limits aren't useful".

Not pitching is the best therapy. I mean ever. Every pitch is bad for the arm. The arm is the same in a relative way but you're older,

Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Give him a few starts. I think he would have started in Ubaldo's place Friday had he not

come in on Wed for those two innings. He seems healthy and as such he should be used

in the manner that would best help the team. We need a starter. If we get one in a trade,

maybe he goes back to spot relief. Just have to watch his pitch count. If Bundy can get us

5 quality innings every 5th day, that would be huge.

Archived