Duquette on Hunter Harvey - "Looks like he's having TJ" (Surgery Scheduled)

McLovin

So the Orioles take away the pitch that hurts the arm, the arm gets hurt anyway, and the terrible organizational policy to try to rehab (what I'm going to assume for the purposes of this rant was a completely or at least mostly torn) ligament for a year only to miss an extra year once we find out that the guy needs surgery to repair the aforementioned (completely or partially torn) ligament.

We need to get rid of the guys that don't let you throw the cutter. Or at least get all of the pitchers alone in a room with Zach Britton, where he can explain that you can continue to throw the cutter as long as you call it a sinker instead.

I think the arm was hurt, and they took the pitch away, to see if he could come back and pitch, without needing surgery. IMO

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone ever studied minor-league pitching injury rates, on a per-team basis? It seems like the Orioles simply cannot draft a starting pitcher and deploy him without major injury (Gausman being one very notable exception). Some of this has to be perception on my part. The Orioles cannot be THIS plagued/bad when it comes to developing pitchers, can they?

Has anyone ever studied minor-league pitching injury rates, on a per-team basis? It seems like the Orioles simply cannot draft a starting pitcher and deploy him without major injury (Gausman being one very notable exception). Some of this has to be perception on my part. The Orioles cannot be THIS plagued/bad when it comes to developing pitchers, can they?

I think its hitting close to home, since we know our organization players.

But, TJ rate is rising all over MLB, and I thought I read a few months ago, that at some point in the future, probably 70% of all pitchers will have had this surgery.

Look at all the guys on the Rays with major arm problems. The Rangers etc. etc. We seem to have a lot less serious pitching injuries than other teams.

Look at all the guys on the Rays with major arm problems. The Rangers etc. etc. We seem to have a lot less serious pitching injuries than other teams.

The Orioles on the parent club seamed to fare better than some of the other teams, but the kids in the minors, seam to have the same problems as other clubs.

The Orioles on the parent club seamed to fare better than some of the other teams, but the kids in the minors, seam to have the same problems as other clubs.

Seems like the guys we have who have issues are guys who throw really hard in high school. Maybe stop drafting such guys. Throwing 97 mph+ as a teenager might be bad for your arm.

I wonder too if there is too much long tossing going on. Back in the good old days, there was none of this nonsense going on and you never heard of TJS. You had four man staffs and guys typically we're throwing 120-140 pitches per start on three days rest! Guys like Peterson really concern me because they are into all these bio-science bs. I read he once had Bundy stand back x amount of feet and throw nothing but fastballs into some string contraption he devised. WTF does that prove other than adding more stress on a kids arm. Someone like Mazzone has to laugh at all this baloney. Would love to see him come back and get this organization right because right now we are a rudderless ship when it comes to developing pitching.

Leo Mazzone told Daniel Cabrera, after losing his no hitter against the Yankees in the ninth, he would have several of them before it was all done.

I wonder too if there is too much long tossing going on. Back in the good old days, there was none of this nonsense going on and you never heard of TJS. You had four man staffs and guys typically we're throwing 120-140 pitches per start on three days rest! Guys like Peterson really concern me because they are into all these bio-science bs. I read he once had Bundy stand back x amount of feet and throw nothing but fastballs into some string contraption he devised. WTF does that prove other than adding more stress on a kids arm. Someone like Mazzone has to laugh at all this baloney. Would love to see him come back and get this organization right because right now we are a rudderless ship when it comes to developing pitching.

In the good old days you never heard of TJS because it hadn't been invented yet. Neither had year-round youth baseball, travel leagues etc., etc. A lot of people, including myself, believe that many of today's pitchers have been partially damaged from misuse before they ever reached professional baseball. No bio-science bs ever got in the way of their early coaches.

Ask Zach Britton what he thinks about the "string contraption".

I thinks its funny that Ross Grimsely gets worked up on MASN about cuddling big league pitchers, and not letting them pitch through their hangnails, when his own career was cut short because of injuries.

I find it shocking that his teammates called him scuz, because of his lack of personal grooming, during winning streaks.

It has more to do with specialization and most college coaches having no regard for their pitchers future. Matt Harvey routinely threw 120-130 pitches per game in college, some of those presumably on short rest, and we wonder why his elbow and shoulder are shredded.

Did you get a chance to read the Arm yet? You'd like it.

It has more to do with specialization and most college coaches having no regard for their pitchers future. Matt Harvey routinely threw 120-130 pitches per game in college, some of those presumably on short rest, and we wonder why his elbow and shoulder are shredded.

We saw that with Ben MacDonald when he was at LSU.

Archived