Yermin Mercedes

ChuckS

Well, a 23 year old hitting at Double A is a more valuable trade chip than one putting up numbers at low A ball.

True. I would like to see him moved to Frederick, but in a perfect world, one has to do more than hit to EARN a promotion. Moving him to showcase him for a trade is just fine with me.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Mercedes is not added to the 40 man roster this winter, does he become a 6year minor league F/A.

Good question. He doesn't have stats for 2014 and we didn't sign him until Sept. of that year. Maybe he has one more year before needing to be added to the 40 man.

If he has be added to the 40 man, I don't see us doing that. Especially since he hasn't been promoted from Delmarva. He's already 23 in Delmarva, he's probably just an org. guy that could turn into something. Just maybe not with us.

If Mercedes is not added to the 40 man roster this winter, does he become a 6year minor league F/A.

Yes, if a player is released from his original signing contract(which he was by the Nationals), he is eligible for minor league free agency every year, regardless of service time, unless he has been added to the 40 man roster or has already signed a contract for the following year. I believe that when the Orioles signed Mercedes in September 2014, he signed a 2 year minor league contract(2015 and 2016) or they signed him for 2016 before he was granted free agency this past winter because I don't believe he was eligible for free agency this past winter.

http://www.thecubreporter.com/minor-league-free-agency

What does it tell you when Tampa Bay chooses a weak-hitting Heim over the SAL leading hitter with power? ;)

Heim is a better defensive prospect.

It's hard to get too excited about Mercedes considering his age and the league. But if he continues to rake at Frederick and at Bowie next season he becomes a little more interesting.

CS percentage isn't bad (career 36 percent), but 23 passed balls in 54 games behind the plate this season is a major alarm. He is listed at 5'11, 175. Not the build of a plodder. Should be able to play the outfield.

Fans shouldn't hold their breath waiting for him to be added to O's 40-man roster - ever.

Why is that though?

It seems clear that he's not a C and he's obviously too old for the league. Why keep him at Delmarva so long?

I've never expected much from him due the factors stated above, just not sure why he wasn't challenged sooner to at least see if the hit tool is legitmate. You obviously seem to think otherwise, just curious why?

You are correct in thinking that I think otherwise. Its off-field, not on-field. Just my humble opinion. I'll say no more.

Fair enough. Was just trying to get an answer from your crypticism (that's not a word but it should be). :)

You answered well enough. Thanks.

Archived