General MLB Draft Thread - Rounds 1-4

markpolis

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Vitters go #2 and Parker #3, the Pirates to me are a very interesting team at #4. What are the Pirates going to do? Wieters seems too pricey, as does Moustakas, so if they skip the Boras Boys and take a hitter as has been speculated, it may come down to Heyward or Mesoraco.

My guess is Moustakas, but if the price is too high then it may be Beau Mills.

This would leave Jordan with a very interesting dilemna of choosing between Detwiler and Wieters.

Greg, Hoosiers or anyone else able and willing,

Is someone going to be able to post the picks as they happen? I'm at work and won't be able to do instant updates.

If no one else can, I'll give updates every five picks or so. With the Orioles not having their 2nd and 3rd round picks, I don't know how much interest there will be for constant updates in the early rounds.

I will post the first round choices, sure. And then any noteworthy and Oriole picks as often as I can.

Latest from Mayo at MLB.com

Says he posted in an hour ago

1. Tampa Bay Devil Rays: David Price, LHP, Vanderbilt University

He's been the guy, he is the guy, and he'll continue to be the guy.

2. Kansas City Royals: Mike Moustakas, 3B, Chatsworth HS (Calif.)

Some last-minute information coming in, with the Royals going with Moustakas and not Josh Vitters.

3. Chicago Cubs: Josh Vitters, 3B, Cypress HS (Calif.)

This is the guy the Cubs wanted anyway, and with the Royals taking Moustakas, he's here for them.

4. Pittsurgh Pirates: Daniel Moskos, LHP, Clemson

They've wanted Vitters all along, but with that scenario not happening, they'll go with who they think is the top college lefty.

5. Baltimore Orioles: Phillipe Aumont, RHP, Ecole Du Versant Gatineau, Quebec

They may still be debating, but it was looking like they were leaning back to the tall, Canadian right-hander.

6. Washington Nationals: Ross Detwiler, LHP, Missouri State

There's still some consideration being given to a guy like Matt Wieters, but they'll go with the lefty with good stuff instead.

7. Milwaukee Brewers: Jarrod Parker, RHP, Norwell HS (Ind.)

They'd consider one of the college lefties, but since they're gone, they'll go with the high-school righty with a ton of upside.

8. Colorado Rockies: Casey Weathers, RHP, Vanderbilt

I think the Rockies wouldn't mind getting a college arm here like Detwiler or Moskos, but both are gone, so they'll go with the college power arm out of the bullpen that should get there fast.

9. Arizona Diamondbacks: Nick Schmidt, LHP, Arkansas

No one has helped themselves more lately than Schmidt, the consummate pitchability lefty who tossed a shutout in conference tournament play and was stellar again in Regional action.

10. San Francisco Giants: Matt Wieters, C, Georgia Tech

With three picks in the top 30, they can take a chance on a guy perceived to be a tough sign.

I'll be using this format: Mark/Hoosiers/Whoever... Can we sticky this, allowing it to be at the top of the thread, so as I edit it it will be seen more readily?

1 Tampa Bay Devil Rays>

2 Kansas City Royals>

3 Chicago Cubs>

4 Pittsburgh Pirates>

5 Baltimore Orioles>

6 Washington Nationals>

7 Milwaukee Brewers>

8 Colorado Rockies>

9 Arizona Diamondbacks>

10 San Francisco Giants>

11 Seattle Mariners>

12 Florida Marlins>

13 Cleveland Indians>

14 Atlanta Braves>

15 Cincinnati Reds>

16 Texas Rangers>

17 Houston Astros>

18 St. Louis Cardinals>

19 Philadelphia Phillies>

20 Boston Red Sox>

21 Toronto Blue Jays>

22 Los Angeles Dodgers>

23 San Diego Padres>

24 Los Angeles Angels>

25 Chicago White Sox>

26 Oakland Athletics>

27 Detroit Tigers>

28 Minnesota Twins>

29 New York Mets>

30 New York Yankees>

According to what I read...each team gets 5 minutes to make their pick in the first round, right?

Correct.

Greg,

I'm just going to give the number, team and player with a few nuggets of info instead of reposting previous picks each time. Such as:

5 - Orioles - C - Matt Wieters, Georgia Tech.

5 - Orioles - C - Matt Wieters, Georgia Tech.

If there were to be an actual post in, oh, say, 25 minutes....would the little bit extra be:

Potential savior to Orioles franchise well worth every cent given to him. Think, Mike Piazza with a cannon for an arm.

Archived