Critique of last night's game...

Natty

Nobody I know that is a baseball fan would disagree with you on that as a general statement, but the A's pitchers are'nt that good!

Any pitcher can be good on a night. Look at Ubaldo. Even he has a good game every now and then. Last night's starter was throwing strikes with good late movement that missed the barrels of the bats.

8 pitches in the first inning.. thats bad hitting.

Precisely why I am not too thrilled with Jones leading off. He hacks at anything within the zip-code of home plate. It sets the tone for the next 2 batters as they do not get to gauge what the opposing pitcher is throwing for strikes, since Jones is such an undisciplined hitter. I'm not saying he doesn't get hits; it's just not the ideal situation for the following batters.

In the 64 games where Jones has led off, he has 4 walks, 8 k's, 0 sb's, and has scored 12 runs (that's a .188 average runs scored ... & no, I haven't looked up what the league average is for lead-off batters ... someone else can have a crack at that ;))

Precisely why I am not too thrilled with Jones leading off. He hacks at anything within the zip-code of home plate. It sets the tone for the next 2 batters as they do not get to gauge what the opposing pitcher is throwing for strikes, since Jones is such an undisciplined hitter. I'm not saying he doesn't get hits; it's just not the ideal situation for the following batters.

In the 64 games where Jones has led off, he has 4 walks, 8 k's, 0 sb's, and has scored 12 runs (that's a .188 average runs scored ... & no, I haven't looked up what the league average is for lead-off batters ... someone else can have a crack at that ;))

Jones has been outstanding leading off.

p
Any pitcher can be good on a night. Look at Ubaldo. Even he has a good game every now and then. Last night's starter was throwing strikes with good late movement that missed the barrels of the bats.

True and I cannot refute what you are stating as I watched just the first four innings, but there is an old saying that even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while, but neither of the A's starting pitchers the past two nights are much to write home about and you know it.

p

True and I cannot refute what you are stating as I watched just the first four innings, but there is an old saying that even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while, but neither of the A's starting pitchers the past two nights are much to write home about and you know it.

Yes but they pitched well both nights an you should know that.

Archived