Dan Connolly: What Orioles Got At Trade Deadline Just Might Be Enough

PressBoxOnline

Ondrusek has a 6.75 ERA, Pearce is 2 for 11 with a .523 OPS, and Miley has arguably been worse than Ubaldo posting a 7.04 ERA and 1.76 WHIP. I might have held off on this column for a couple weeks - see if even one of them does something positive as an Oriole before writing this take.

I'm optimistic about Pearce.

Ondrusek was a boneheaded pickup by Duquette. I don't care if he has an "option". The problem with Ondrusek is you picked up some guy out of Japan and hoped he'd do well. He didn't.

In reality, the Orioles added Pearce and Miley at the deadline. Now, Miley was OK/solid his first 2 starts and abysmal yesterday. That's already better than Ubaldo regardless of his ERA in SSS w/ the O's.

September callups are going to happen, so the bullpen should get a bit deeper and Ubaldo will be hidden further. But we really don't have any impact bats in the minors. So Pearce is as good a pickup as there is...minus them trading for him *if they knew he was hurt*.

I'm optimistic about Pearce.

Ondrusek was a boneheaded pickup by Duquette. I don't care if he has an "option". The problem with Ondrusek is you picked up some guy out of Japan and hoped he'd do well. He didn't.

In reality, the Orioles added Pearce and Miley at the deadline. Now, Miley was OK/solid his first 2 starts and abysmal yesterday. That's already better than Ubaldo regardless of his ERA in SSS w/ the O's.

September callups are going to happen, so the bullpen should get a bit deeper and Ubaldo will be hidden further. But we really don't have any impact bats in the minors. So Pearce is as good a pickup as there is...minus them trading for him *if they knew he was hurt*.

We have Mancini and Sisco. 2 impact bats right there

I have all the confidence in the world that both will figure it out. Mancini looks like a younger version of Mark Trumbo, but with a higher OBP clip, and Sisco is a righthanded Kim

I am more concerned with what position Sisco is going to play, not too sure, it will be the catching position.

Archived