Could we sign Wieters back for something like 3/35? Should we?

FanSince88

Nice game last night, but he's in sharp decline. Getting older, slower and his OPS+ is 20 points below his career average coming into this season. He's not making a compelling case for being overpaid for a second straight year to say the least.

A Matt in decline, is still better than a lot of catchers in the MLB.

We need a catcher next season, to bridge the gap to Sisco, if Sisco is the heir.

I am okay with over paying by using the QO for just one year, and opposed to having a long term big money deal, that will end up hurting the team more.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think game winning hits, is a very important and tangible thing, some people can rise to the occasion and sometimes those half a dozen games or more, can mean the difference between 1 and 2 place in the division.

So, is making the last out when you are the tying or go ahead run in the 8th or 9th "a very important and tangible thing"? Is that an example of someone who "falls to the occasion"? I bet Wieters has more of those than game winning hits.

Ramos and Suzuki are also available. Ramos is the top catcher by far. MW will have stiff competition this winter. But offering the QO to keep it a one year deal is also a terrible idea.

Buyer beware with Ramos, he's having a career year in his contract season-- but yeah, he'll be the "grand prize" at catcher.

Ramos and Suzuki are also available. Ramos is the top catcher by far. MW will have stiff competition this winter. But offering the QO to keep it a one year deal is also a terrible idea.

Not sure I would rank Suzuki over Matt.

IMO, Ramos is a quality FA, thats for sure, didnt realize he was coming onto the market. He might not either, I suspect he will resign with the Nats.

Not sure I would rank Suzuki over Matt.

IMO, Ramos is a quality FA, thats for sure, didnt realize he was coming onto the market. He might not either, I suspect he will resign with the Nats.

None of them necessarily have to be better than Matt. But the fact that there are 5 notable names on the market that are roughly equivalent will have an effect.

None of them necessarily have to be better than Matt. But the fact that there are 5 notable names on the market that are roughly equivalent will have an effect.

I have to disagree about Hundley being a starter, I see him more as a backup.

But, I see your point, there are more option available this season, than last.

I'm a Wieters fan and have really enjoyed his time as an Oriole. But the Orioles should only sign him this offseason for a team friendly, short-term deal. He is a mediocre hitting catcher this year. He ranks 15th in OPS of catchers with more than 300 at bats and 42nd of all players who have caught in MLB this year. Buck is very nice and likes to praise his players, but his praise is often just praise. Wieters ranks 13th among catchers in games played and 11 of the 12 catchers ahead of him have higher OPS. I think Wieters has several more years of having value, but he will be 31 next season and I hope the Orioles don't pay him for what he was instead of what he is and will be. Unfortunately, they seem to be giving team discounts in the wrong direction lately and overpaying for their own players instead of getting a team discount. I wouldn't be surprised if that happens with Wieters, but will be disappointed.

And no way do the Orioles offer the qualifying offer. That would be really stupid in my opinion.

And none of them will receive a contract with an AAV approaching the QO. The fact that the idea of offering Matt a QO is still being floated is mind-boggling enough. Rationalizing paying double what would be necessary on a negotiated contract because he's some kind of "bridge" even more so.

I think game winning hits, is a very important and tangible thing, some people can rise to the occasion and sometimes those half a dozen games or more, can mean the difference between 1 and 2 place in the division.

And I think just using "Game Winning Hits" to determine if a player can "rise to the occasion" is preposterous. If you want to throw out stats with runners in scoring position or whatever, it's at least somewhat more tangible. But, even then, circumstantial.

Wieters shouldn't have a spot on this team after he cleans out his locker at the end of 2016.

I think it's time to move on. Someone on a cheap one year deal would be my target until CS is ready. I'm saving all the pennies I can to sign Manny for 10/300.

There's never any shortage of catchers available for 1-year deals. Get one, keep Joseph as the backup and allocate assets elsewhere.

Archived