Could we sign Wieters back for something like 3/35? Should we?

FanSince88

I remember the days when we thought he would be Joe Mauer and that he would have to move to first by now because you wouldn't want to lose his bat. Nope, I would have to carefully think about a QO as I would not really want him to take it again. And I am not offering him an extension.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What about trading for Carlos Ruiz. He's on his last legs, but still has a .719 OPS w/ .362 SLG in limited action (I assume he's the backup in Philly).

He has an affordable option $4.5 mill next year. He has always drawn positive reviews for handling pitching staff. I would much rather pick up the rest of his contract than give Wieters a 3 or 4 year deal. Phillies will probably pick up part of his contract if the O's send a marginal prospect.

He literally just got traded...to the Dodgers. Good call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With Joseph now a question mark as to whether he's capable of producing anymore and Sisco unproven defensively (and offensively at the MLB level for that matter), plus the fact that we traded away our best defensive minor league catcher, it's starting to seem like a deal to bring Wieters back might not be such a bad idea. It seems like they won't offer him a QO. Which I do understand on some level, though I wouldn't be opposed to a QO for Wieters at all. Is there a chance we can get him back for 3/35? I would prefer to to have a 3 year or less deal if we can help it.

No thanks, MM has be taken care of first.

I would offer him 1 year, 5 million, and then when he says no plan on a duo of Sisco and Joseph to start the season.

Come on, man. 1/5 is an insult. That's what Pedro Alvarez -- a horrible fielder who can't hit lefties -- is getting. Bidding should probably start at 1/8, maybe 1/9 and go from there. If you aren't willing to pay that amount, don't bother offering. Unless everyone sees him as damaged goods and he still isn't signed by late Feb, there is zero chance MW gets anything less than 1/8.

If Wieters weren't an Oriole, and had spent his entire career with another team, would there be any interest in signing him for the contract he will get?

That's actually a really interesting question to think about. It would depend on what our catching situation would have been without MW. Lot's of "what ifs" to address in that scenario...so really hard to tell. But I will say if I was GM of an organization that had a huge black hole at the catching spot, I would probably make a play for MW.

Come on, man. 1/5 is an insult. That's what Pedro Alvarez -- a horrible fielder who can't hit lefties -- is getting. Bidding should probably start at 1/8, maybe 1/9 and go from there. If you aren't willing to pay that amount, don't bother offering. Unless everyone sees him as damaged goods and he still isn't signed by late Feb, there is zero chance MW gets anything less than 1/8.

He's a defensively average catcher with an 81 OPS+ this year, and he's in his 30s. He's been worth all of 0.3 WAR this year. He's barely above replacement level. There is no reason that I can see to offer him 1/8 when we actually have options at catcher and needs in other areas.

He's a defensively average catcher with an 81 OPS+ this year, and he's in his 30s. He's been worth all of 0.3 WAR this year. He's barely above replacement level. There is no reason that I can see to offer him 1/8 when we actually have options at catcher and needs in other areas.

What are our option at catcher? Pena who is a .600 OPS hitter at triple A? Joseph who hits like a pitcher and will be 31 next year? I don't think either of those guys is back-up worthy.

Never said it was ideal, but neither was the thought of the "Joseph/Sisco" platoon that was being floated around. I really don't see Sisco staying as a catcher. His defense isn't all that good, mainly because he is still new to the position. His bat is decent. He gets contact and shows some flashes of power.

I agree on getting a cheap FA vet for atleast a year. Anyone in particular that stands out?

I have no idea who's FA this winter. I think St. Louis' Molina is...

And I should say where I really stand. I'd give Wieters the QO. And hope he takes it. There are no bad one year contracts. And shtuff would flow. Right into next year. One less thing for DD to worry about.

Or he might get a crazy offer and we'd get a pick.

And I should say where I really stand. I'd give Wieters the QO. And hope he takes it. There are no bad one year contracts. And shtuff would flow. Right into next year. One less thing for DD to worry about.

Or he might get a crazy offer and we'd get a pick.

This where I am as well.

In retrospect, Wieters signing the QO has actually worked out pretty well.

They have a catcher who is on pace to catch 100 + games on a playoff contending team.

He has re-established his value to an extent and the orioles have had a steady presence behind the plate for the bulk of the season.

They may overpay Wieters next year if He accepts the QO, but they will bring back a known quantity to a team that will be in a position to contend next season.

The only way He does not sign the Qo is if Wieters is blown away by a large long term deal and the Orioles will get the pick.

Archived