Could we sign Wieters back for something like 3/35? Should we?

FanSince88

But Hundley is below replacement level this year. I think he would have made a good back up to Wieters. If Wieters got more days off I believe his OPS would be higher. I would try and get Wieters on a two year contract. We have Cisco in the wings but he won't be ready next year and it would be good to have a year of overlap.

I think that Sisco could benefit massively from learning under Wieters.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Take your WAR and OPS numbers and shove it. Matt is all about winning, whether it's cutting down Turner twice two nights ago, hitting what proved to be a game-winning three run homer last night or handling this most fragile and difficult pitching staff night in and night out. You like that? Re-sign him!!

Wieters hasn't done a very good job handling this pitching staff. Just look at Gausman's career numbers throwing to Joseph compared to Wieters or even Miley's numbers throwing to Mike Zunino (a real defensive catcher) compared to Wieters. He's not very good at framing pitches or calling games. If you ever watch the Orioles post-game show after a loss, Rick Dempsey often calls out the poor pitch calling. Dempsey rarely calls out Wieters directly by name but it's pretty easy to infer that he's not overly impressed with Wieters defense like a lot of people on this board.

Wieters has pretty much acted like a catcher coach, to any catcher in the organization and willingly talks shop and mentors those that want to be mentored.

Catcher coaches don't cost $12 million AAV which is roughly what the OP is suggesting. The real question in my mind is whether Wieters is likely to get more than he's worth from the Orioles. I think that's a distinct possibility and it's my feeling that the team and the fan base would be better served earmarking that money for - oh, I don't know - pitching, Manny Machado extension, stuff like that.

Catcher coaches don't cost $12 million AAV which is roughly what the OP is suggesting. The real question in my mind is whether Wieters is likely to get more than he's worth from the Orioles. I think that's a distinct possibility and it's my feeling that the team and the fan base would be better served earmarking that money for - oh, I don't know - pitching, Manny Machado extension, stuff like that.

My comment was in reference to the question, would Wieters be willing to help Sisco.

I think he word.

What is the fair market value for Wieters? Good Question.

Anything under 8 or so million makes some sensw, but over that would not be worth it to the team. We are quickly becoming a less successful version of the Phillies.

There are some parallels (Chris Davis = Ryan Howard with a better glove) but while they had an aging Jimmy Rollins and Chase Utley, we have Manny Machado and Jonathan Schoop.

There are some parallels (Chris Davis = Ryan Howard with a better glove) but while they had an aging Jimmy Rollins and Chase Utley, we have Manny Machado and Jonathan Schoop.

Right, but Manny and Schoop are approaching free agency and a potential long run into the playoffs keeps eluding the organization. The aging yet ineffective pitching also compares.

I'm enjoying what this team has given me for the last few seasons but I'm not optimistic about the future for the O's. I'm not ready to see them losing 90 games annually. I would like to see them set themselves up a little better and sustain winning and sticking the ML team.

Archived