Could we sign Wieters back for something like 3/35? Should we?

FanSince88

IMO, catcher is never a position that I want to go super cheap, and think any AAA body can be plugged in there.

Caleb did an admirable job for 2 years, before this season, and surprised the socks off most of us, but that is probably a very rare feat and not something to expect again and again.

Caleb showed a few things. I think the biggest benefit going for him was the regular playing time. He has been doing better in Triple A, since getting consistent at bats.

Weiters will be a slippery slope. Sign him and he shows his wear and tear next year and gets even worse on defense and offense takes a hit. Don't sign him and he is fully healed up and he starts the all star game for another team.

Same with, sign him and still have a log jam of catchers in the system. Don't sign him and don't sign another one, bring up Sisco or someone else and watch them fail, or become a superstar.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wieters is on the downhill slope in a bad way. The club didn't even want him in 2016, they just guessed wrong with the QO.

There are folks on this message board that want to cling to Matt, the same as they wanted to cling to Markakis (who was also done by the time he left Baltimore). It's time to cut bait.

Exactly. Let us just root for him to help the team win in September (and hopefully October).

When I look at the O's attendance in a pennant race I have to wonder how much the O's will spend this off season. Though Wieters' contract is not going to be what he hoped for and he might be fairly affordable, 16.083 at the ball park vs the Jay in late August is not a good omen for things to come when spending this off season.

Normally, I'd say don't make Matt the qualifying offer, because he isn't worth it, but my view is Sisco is the catcher - very cheaply for several years - starting in 2018. We need someone for 2017, so over-paying somewhat for 2017 is more than offset by getting off cheaply the next few years.

Caleb showed a few things. I think the biggest benefit going for him was the regular playing time. He has been doing better in Triple A, since getting consistent at bats.

Weiters will be a slippery slope. Sign him and he shows his wear and tear next year and gets even worse on defense and offense takes a hit. Don't sign him and he is fully healed up and he starts the all star game for another team.

Same with, sign him and still have a log jam of catchers in the system. Don't sign him and don't sign another one, bring up Sisco or someone else and watch them fail, or become a superstar.

Any RBI's yet :)

But seriously, I like Joseph. He gives you 80% of what Matt gives you for 20% of the cost.

Normally, I'd say don't make Matt the qualifying offer, because he isn't worth it, but my view is Sisco is the catcher - very cheaply for several years - starting in 2018. We need someone for 2017, so over-paying somewhat for 2017 is more than offset by getting off cheaply the next few years.

I almost agree. It's not like we're going to spend on our most glaring need (starting pitching), the only other place we have room on the roster is the outfield, and I don't see us going big there either. Matt at 16+ million for 1 year wouldn't be the worst thing ever. Sign Matt for 1 year and then add 8 random starting pitchers... I have a feeling that might be about it.

3/30 is the highest I would go. I'm not even sure that's a wise deal for the O's. He's 30, slow as molasses, is below average at the plate (IMO, some might argue), and IMO, doesn't do a great job of calling a game or framing pitches. Wasn't it last year where the SP ERA's were significantly lower when Joseph caught vs when Wieters caught? Sure, not all of that falls on Matt, but I think Joseph calls a better game and frames pitches better. He does still throw pretty well. But again, he's now over 30, and will likely begin to decline. I just think they can get similar production from a younger, cheaper player.

The QO is the part that throws the whole thing into question. I'd probably rather see them do that and have him accept it again rather than the multi-year deal. If he turns it down and won't take 3/30 (or less), than thank him for his time as an Oriole and move on.

Considering Wieters was 3rd in game winning hits, and that was before last night's game winning, I don't see how you can say Joseph is 80% of Wieters.

Probably because game winning hits are mostly just circumstance, not skill. At least not skill above and beyond overall offensive ability.

If you have two identical players except that one has more game-winning hits, I wouldn't even use that as a tie breaker. It's a curiosity, a trivial pursuit question.

Probably because game winning hits are mostly just circumstance, not skill. At least not skill above and beyond overall offensive ability.

If you have two identical players except that one has more game-winning hits, I wouldn't even use that as a tie breaker. It's a curiosity, a trivial pursuit question.

I think game winning hits, is a very important and tangible thing, some people can rise to the occasion and sometimes those half a dozen games or more, can mean the difference between 1 and 2 place in the division.

Why is it necessary to overpay anyone? Is Matt the only available ML catcher this offseason? There is no linkage whatsoever between the Orioles' minor league catching situation and Matt Wieters.

Why is it necessary to overpay anyone? Is Matt the only available ML catcher this offseason? There is no linkage whatsoever between the Orioles' minor league catching situation and Matt Wieters.

Probably the only good FA available, as it was last season, he was by far the best available.

Probably the only good FA available, as it was last season, he was by far the best available.

Nice game last night, but he's in sharp decline. Getting older, slower and his OPS+ is 20 points below his career average coming into this season. He's not making a compelling case for being overpaid for a second straight year to say the least.

Archived