Getting to know the new Yankees

Frobby

Going into the Bronx tonight, the O's are going to see some guys they have rarely if ever faced, who have been getting playing time since the Yankees made a bunch of deadline trades and jettisoned ARod. Here are some of them:

Gary Sanchez , a 23-year old RHB, has been getting the lion's share of playing time at C. In August, he's been about the hottest hitter in baseball, hitting .412/.474/.897, with 9 HR and 16 RBI in 18 games. He was ranked the #36 prospect in baseball by Baseball America pre-season. He began the year at AA and posted a .795 OPS there, got promoted to AAA and posted .849 there.

Aaron Judge, a RH outfielder, was promoted August 13 and has hit .222/.310/.417 so far. The Yankees' no. 1 pick in 2013, and rated no. 76 by BA pre-season, Judge was posting an .854 OPS in AAA prior to his call-up.

We may get a look at 23-year old RH 3B Ronald Torreyes, who started four games this week. Torreyes is hitting .277/.320/.426 this season, but in August he's hit .409/.409/.727 in 10 games. He has been on the Yankees all season but has only 7 AB against the Orioles, going 2 for 7.

Tonight's starting pitcher, 24-year old RHP Luis Cessa, is 3-1 with a 4.01 ERA. He was signed as an amateur free agent by the Mets, traded to Detroit in the Cespendes trade last year, and then traded to the Yankees last offseason as part of the Justin Wilson trade. He posted a 6-3 record and a 3.03 ERA in AAA this year. This is his fourth major league stint this season, though only his second major league start. He was inserted into the rotation last week, pitching six shutout innings against the Angels.

Tomorrow's starter, 25-year old LHP Chad Green, has posted a 3.66 ERA in 10 appearances, including 6 starts. An 11th round pick by the Tigers in 2013, he was traded with Cessa to the Yankees last winter for Justin Wilson. He posted a 1.52 ERA in AAA this year. This is his fifth call-up with the Yankees this year, and since his most recent call-up on August 15 he has made two starts, shutting out the Blue Jays for 6 innings and allowing 1 run to the Angels in 6 innings. Green pitched 2.1 innings of scoreless relief against the Orioles back on July 21.

Oh, and we've seen Aaron Hicks before, but mostly in a Twins uniform. The 26-year old OF has seen his bat come to life in August, hitting .303/.333/.455 for the month after posting a .538 OPS in April - July.

Overall, the Yankees are 13-9 in August, mostly against tough competition, and looking a lot less like the tired, stale team we've seen. It will be interesting to see how the O's handle the new faces. It's a series we need to win.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Going into the Bronx tonight, the O's are going to see some guys they have rarely if ever faced, who have been getting playing time since the Yankees made a bunch of deadline trades and jettisoned ARod. Here are some of them:

Gary Sanchez , a 23-year old RHB, has been getting the lion's share of playing time at C. In August, he's been about the hottest hitter in baseball, hitting .412/.474/.897, with 9 HR and 16 RBI in 18 games. He was ranked the #36 prospect in baseball by Baseball America pre-season. He began the year at AA and posted a .795 OPS there, got promoted to AAA and posted .849 there.

Aaron Judge, a RH outfielder, was promoted August 13 and has hit .222/.310/.417 so far. The Yankees' no. 1 pick in 2013, and rated no. 76 by BA pre-season, Judge was posting an .854 OPS in AAA prior to his call-up.

We may get a look at 23-year old RH 3B Ronald Torreyes, who started four games this week. Torreyes is hitting .277/.320/.426 this season, but in August he's hit .409/.409/.727 in 10 games. He has been on the Yankees all season but has only 7 AB against the Orioles, going 2 for 7.

Tonight's starting pitcher, 24-year old RHP Luis Cessa, is 3-1 with a 4.01 ERA. He was signed as an amateur free agent by the Mets, traded to Detroit in the Cespendes trade last year, and then traded to the Yankees last offseason as part of the Justin Wilson trade. He posted a 6-3 record and a 3.03 ERA in AAA this year. This is his fourth major league stint this season, though only his second major league start. He was inserted into the rotation last week, pitching six shutout innings against the Angels.

Tomorrow's starter, 25-year old LHP Chad Green, has posted a 3.66 ERA in 10 appearances, including 6 starts. An 11th round pick by the Tigers in 2013, he was traded with Cessa to the Yankees last winter for Justin Wilson. He posted a 1.52 ERA in AAA this year. This is his fifth call-up with the Yankees this year, and since his most recent call-up on August 15 he has made two starts, shutting out the Blue Jays for 6 innings and allowing 1 run to the Angels in 6 innings. Green pitched 2.1 innings of scoreless relief against the Orioles back on July 21.

Oh, and we've seen Aaron Hicks before, but mostly in a Twins uniform. The 26-year old OF has seen his bat come to life in August, hitting .303/.333/.455 for the month after posting a .538 OPS in April - July.

Overall, the Yankees are 13-9 in August, mostly against tough competition, and looking a lot less like the tired, stale team we've seen. It will be interesting to see how the O's handle the new faces. It's a series we need to win.

Great analysis. Thanks!

In his last seven games — keeping in mind he’s appeared in a total of 10 in his major league career — Judge is 3-for-26. Perhaps most alarmingly, he’s struck out 13 times in that stretch, while walking only twice. And of those three hits, none was for extra bases.

One scout who watched Judge over parts of the past two seasons at Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre said the 24-year-old is displaying the streakiness he showed frequently in the minors.

“It’s no secret he’s vulnerable to breaking balls, and teams are making the adjustments he’s forced them to make,” the scout said. “This would be expected from any rookie, especially one that’s been inconsistent in the past. He’s a confident kid and always come out of these things before, so I think he will again.”

http://nypost.com/2016/08/25/aaron-judges-weakness-has-been-found-but-he-should-be-ok/

I just hate that the Yankees have a so-far successful youth movement in progress. How did they manage to wriggle out of their obligations to all the sciatic 39-year-olds that were clogging up their roster? What sorcery is this, Cashman?

I remember seeing a Torreyes at-bat or two earlier in the year. He is listed at 5'-10", but I'd be shocked if he's a hair above 5'-4". Wieters is taller in his crouch.

I hope we bring it, and hard.

Can you ever be positive about the O's?

Sure - he's positive they'll lose! :P

You never know what will happen when we face a young pitcher we haven't seen before. Sometimes we crush them, other times we are completely bamboozled.

I just hate that the Yankees have a so-far successful youth movement in progress. How did they manage to wriggle out of their obligations to all the sciatic 39-year-olds that were clogging up their roster? What sorcery is this, Cashman?

I remember seeing a Torreyes at-bat or two earlier in the year. He is listed at 5'-10", but I'd be shocked if he's a hair above 5'-4". Wieters is taller in his crouch.

They got a huge haul for Miller and Chapman. Dominant relievers are highly valued these days and Chapman and Miller are two lights out relievers.

They got a huge haul for Miller and Chapman. Dominant relievers are highly valued these days and Chapman and Miller are two lights out relievers.

The process really started two years ago IMO when they traded for Didi Gregorius, signed Andrew Miller to $9 mil a year and handed Chase Headley a modest extension (for them). This was after the huge Ellsbury/McCann/Gardner/Tanaka/Beltran offseason. They finally started letting their bad deals bleed out. Beltran turned out to be a surprisingly good investment but he did still turn into a trade chip.

There's no real reason why they shouldn't have a top farm system as long as they keep their own guys.

I saw the Yankees play the A's out here in Oakland earlier this year and Torreyes looked like a little kid out there. There's no way he is 5'10". I do think he's a fairly nice player to have around, though.

Archived