Getting to know the new Yankees

Frobby

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

I have often stated that I never root for the Yankees to win, unless it is the final 2 weeks of the season, and if the Yankees winning should happen to benefit the Orioles in their quest for a playoff berth.

Well, here it is ........ it's the final 2 weeks of the season, and a Yankees win tonight would indeed benefit the Orioles in their quest for a playoff berth.

So while it's counterintuitive for me to ever root for them at all, I will be doing so tonight.

A word about Sanchez: I don't see how he can be for real. His numbers were good in AA and AAA, but nothing suggesting he was going to be an instant superstar as a major leaguer. Sooner or later he will come back to the planet Earth -- hopefully, by this weekend.

Well, one month later Sanchez still maintains a slugging% of 706.

I too believe he cannot maintain such a pace but it sure looks like he's the real deal. Here is a prediction I'm sure you don't want to read: the 2017 Yankees will win 90+ games. They'll need to shore up their once-dominant bullpen though.

Well, one month later Sanchez still maintains a slugging% of 706.

I too believe he cannot maintain such a pace but it sure looks like he's the real deal. Here is a prediction I'm sure you don't want to read: the 2017 Yankees will win 90+ games. They'll need to shore up their once-dominant bullpen though.

Sanchez hit more homers in 43 games in the majors than he has ever hit over a full minor league season. I'm not saying he won't be a solid offensive catcher, but I am not ready to declare him the next Mike Piazza.

I'll worry about the Yankees' 2017 record once I see what their offseason is like. They had a nice six-week run after the trade deadline, but things have snowballed on them over the last two weeks. Hopefully they will continue to snowball this weekend.

o

The Orioles' win over the Blue Jays last night mathematically eliminated the Yankees from the post-season.

The new Yankees will try to return the favor over the next 3 games.

And these soft youngsters will be met by the icy glares of our young, veteran, battle-hardened but relaxed group of killers.

I think it's going to be an up-and-down weekend with lots of drama. But in the end, I believe we'll wind up in the playoffs - and they'll wind up watching on TV.

Still, I find it irritating that the Yankees are - once again - the "it" team in the division. They go INSTANTLY from old, beat-up, boring... to young, snazzy, superstars on the rise!

It took us 14 years to recover from old and boring. It took them about 14 minutes. It's not fair. But I don't think Buck is in any way flustered or intimidated by the Yankees either way. I don't think our team will be either. I think they put a knee on the Yankee's young, scrawny necks.

Oh yeah, I mean - no way we beat the Yankees this weekend.

Archived