Bedard's History Does Not Make Him Untouchable

section18

I think the only way we trade him is if we are going toward some youth movement. I think some of our pitchers in the minors have to really step up to fill the void if we do trade him. I think he and Miggy can bring back 4 young players together. That is a solid foundation if we can get the right players. Either that or 2-3 solid young players. That would be the only situation that I would feel good about getting rid of Bedard.

I would not want to trade him for Tex or Dunn, however. It has to be a team that needs 1-2 more players that have one of their young studs blocked and they think they can get more out of Tejada or Bedard than they can out of the young player... Slim chances to be sure.

One thing is for sure....we CAN'T let him walk. Either he extends or he is traded. His value must be at it's peak around now (with decent time remaining before FA) which is why I wish the FO would take a more aggressive approach with locking these guys up. At least then we know which direction we are headed.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One thing is for sure....we CAN'T let him walk. Either he extends or he is traded. His value must be at it's peak around now (with decent time remaining before FA) which is why I wish the FO would take a more aggressive approach with locking these guys up. At least then we know which direction we are headed.

Sure we can. We should get some nice draft picks for him if he does leave. I know the turnaround time would be a lot longer, but worse things have happened before. As long as we still have Jordan calling the shots, it might be worth it to try and resign him and if he doesn't, take the 2 or so draft picks that are coming our way...

*Foams at the mouth* His minor league stats! His minor league stats!! You have to trade Guthrie because of his minor league stats! Never mind maturation and development! *eyes roll in the back of Milligan's head, seizures occur*

Isn't that why Mazzone is here? To help guys develop and build on their skill sets? Yet many want to ignore any possibility of improvement. Sure, minor league stats can help predict who will succeed in the majors. But, sometimes guys develop later and actually improve.

I don't think he is that valuable. Depending on the farm club, we could get 2 top 10 prospects if we are lucky for Bedard, IMO.

I would much rather see some position players coming back in the deals, they seem like more of a sure thing, even though they have a ton of question marks as well.

Players of Bedards ability don't come on the market often, I think we could get a great package for him. I'd lean towards 2 bats and an arm rather than vice versa. We are more likely to be able to replace him from within (to a reasonable extent) than the numerous holes we have in our line up.

Sure we can. We should get some nice draft picks for him if he does leave. I know the turnaround time would be a lot longer, but worse things have happened before. As long as we still have Jordan calling the shots, it might be worth it to try and resign him and if he doesn't, take the 2 or so draft picks that are coming our way...

It's a fair point but I'd be concerned that the rules concerning compensation picks are changing every year and there are always rumours they will be removed altogether. Plus that's really taking a chance on how the draft choices work out, Bedard's our biggest bargaining chip, I'm sure we could get 2 or 3 guys ready (or almost) to slot straight into our line up.

Don't get me wrong, if he will re-sign I'd love to keep him but if not he can still be our quickest route to competing.

I don't think he is that valuable. Depending on the farm club, we could get 2 top 10 prospects if we are lucky for Bedard, IMO.

I would much rather see some position players coming back in the deals, they seem like more of a sure thing, even though they have a ton of question marks as well.

I dunno...to the right team who's headed down the stretch and would be desperate for a lefthanded pitcher with a sick curveball...we might be able to get that package back. Can you see him going to the Mets? I wonder what they'd give back. If they got Bedard and Pedro made it back for September that could be quite a rotation primed for a title run.

Position players are a more of a sure thing, I agree...but for year after year of *****ing about our rotation it's finally coming together. Now if we're to trade away a major part of that, I'd want something in return to try and help fill that void...ideally two pitchers in case one or the other doesn't pan out.

If he's pitching well at the deadline he'd be a very valuable chip to a team needing a quality starter. I don't see why he wouldn't bring back packages similar to ones teams got for Colon, Mulder, and Beckett.

I posted another thread on this same subject about a month ago, but since then I have changed my mind. First of all, it's not like Bedard is light on innings pitched -- he's 6th in the league as of today. Second, he is on a pace to top his previous highs in innings pitched and IP/start by a pretty good margin. Third, people need to recognize that Bedard throws a lot of pitches -- he ranks 4th in the league in that category.

And it's not like there are a lot of pitchers throwing complete games all the time. In the AL, there are 5 pitchers who have two and another 14 guys who have one. That's it. This isn't the 1970's.

Or maybe he's like a young Rodrigo Lopez putting together an outstanding run of starts that is an outlier compared to the rest of his career. I hope he's the real deal but I think it's safe to say that it is entirely too soon to put him in the category of the untouchables after 8 starts.

It's plain and simple. RLo never had Guthrie's stuff. Never did, never will.

This has been one of the funniest threads ever on here.

BTW, you do NOT trade Bedard unless you get THREE top prospects...Not 2 but 3.

If you can't get him extended, you could wait until next year to trade him.

You could move him for 2 if they are both almost MLB ready and are just really great prospects. But to mvoe him at this point, you'd have to be absolutely blown away.

The criticisms of Bedard are just absolutely ridiculous. He's #6 in the AL in IP, #1 in K, #20 in ERA (despite some bad luck early in the year), #5 in quality starts, #11 in K/BB, #1 in K/9, and #21 in WHIP. He's obviously one of the top 10 or so starters in the league.

You could move him for 2 if they are both almost MLB ready and are just really great prospects. But to mvoe him at this point, you'd have to be absolutely blown away.

The criticisms of Bedard are just absolutely ridiculous. He's #6 in the AL in IP, #1 in K, #20 in ERA (despite some bad luck early in the year), #5 in quality starts, #11 in K/BB, #1 in K/9, and #21 in WHIP. He's obviously one of the top 10 or so starters in the league.

But he lacks that certain something that makes him a winner. He's 8th in the league by the numbers, but drops to 198th when you throw in intangibles. We need more winners, not more stat-hoarders. :rolleyes:

But he lacks that certain something that makes him a winner. He's 8th in the league by the numbers, but drops to 198th when you throw in intangibles. We need more winners, not more stat-hoarders. :rolleyes:

I think that Nats game still sticks in people's craw. Stats are nice but folks wanted to see Bedard pick up his struggling bullpen. If the bullpen had done its job nobody would have thought twice about it.

I think that Nats game still sticks in people's craw. Stats are nice but folks wanted to see Bedard pick up his struggling bullpen. If the bullpen had done its job nobody would have thought twice about it.

People's reaction to the Nats game sticks in my craw. If I have a choice between relying on Mazzone and Perlozzo guessing when a pitcher is done, or having the pitcher admit he's done, I'll take the pitcher 100 times out of 100.

Archived