If we miss the playoffs this year, trade Manny and sign Schoop

FanSince88

I like a rotation of Tillman Bundy and Gausman, with Gallardo and Miley at 4 and 5. A decent hitting good fielding RF would be an upgrade over Trumbo. We can sign a stop gap C who will give us Wieters producton. And there are a number of FA DH possibilities this year.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What do you consider a "massive overpay?" Manny is going to get a massive deal but I'm not so sure it will be an overpay.

What there has been is a massive underpay. One that has helped the Orioles to be competitive, and will no longer be available.

I don't think a fire sale/rebuild should happen until next trade deadline or after next season. Make a decision on Tillman this winter or let him play out his final year of arbitration and give him a QO or let him walk, let Wieters, and Trumbo walk with a QO for Trumbo. Ubaldo, Gallardo, Hardy and Miley all come off the books after next season unless options are picked up, that's about 47mil right there.

Manny, Jones, Britton, Davis, and O'Day are all signed or have arbitration years until 2018 or later. If the team completely falls apart between now and the end of next season, either sign Manny or try to trade all of them and restock the farm and rebuild. They will all have at least a season of control after next year so we should be able to get a pretty nice return.

Absolutely not. Trading Manny is the worst thing the Orioles could possibly do. He's not the guy you trade, he's the guy you build your franchise around. He should be extended (as I've said before, if they have $161 million to throw at Chris Davis, they have the money to extend Manny -- and if they don't, they chose the wrong guy). Trade Adam Jones. Trade Chris Davis (even if you have to eat most of the contract to get anything useful back). Trade Britton. Trade whoever you want to trade. But don't trade Manny. If you do that, you're giving up. And you're rolling the dice that the guys you get back will be what you hope they'll be. It's highly unlikely any of them will be anything close to Manny.

Part of the problem is that so many of our fans believe that "we have one of the best lineups in all of baseball" surrounding Machado. We don't. There is more to having a good offense than hitting home runs, and after Machado that's pretty much all we get out of our offense, with the exception of Kim who can get on base.

I could see us going forward on extending Manny, and I could see us trading him to start a reboot. I'm good with either direction. What I don't want are partially committed half measures where we muddle in the middle, and don't end up with any decent result.

I can see them refusing to rebuild and getting a draft pick when he walks.

I can see them refusing to rebuild and getting a draft pick when he walks.

You only trade Machado if you are both prepared to rebuild and have targeted the right farm system to raid. A return for Machado would have to include multiple blue chip prospects, something that not every system has. But I tend to fall on the side of believing that it is better to build around Machado with an extension than it is to trade him. I doubt the Orioles are deceiving themselves about what it will cost to keep Machado...whether they can meet the price is another question.

You only trade Machado if you are both prepared to rebuild and have targeted the right farm system to raid. A return for Machado would have to include multiple blue chip prospects, something that not every system has. But I tend to fall on the side of believing that it is better to build around Machado with an extension than it is to trade him. I doubt the Orioles are deceiving themselves about what it will cost to keep Machado...whether they can meet the price is another question.
I'm pretty sure everyone would prefer an extension, but if they know they can't afford him they should trade him. But they wont PA won't allow it.

He's not the guy you trade, he's the guy you build your franchise around.

Are you prepared to see the Orioles give Manny a 10/400 deal in 2018? Because I'm not, and there's no way anyone could live up to an insane deal like that. I wouldn't sign Jesus for that kind of contract.

Maybe I'm naive, but I have faith Duquette will find a way to add good quality starting pitching next year without trading Manny. But like I said, maybe I'm naive...

Name one decent starting pitcher DD has brought in since he struck "bronze" with Chen and Gonzo.

Part of the problem is that so many of our fans believe that "we have one of the best lineups in all of baseball" surrounding Machado. We don't. There is more to having a good offense than hitting home runs, and after Machado that's pretty much all we get out of our offense, with the exception of Kim who can get on base.

Davis also happens to get on base a good amount of the time, despite his high strikeout rate. The Orioles team OBP is .320, which is not bad at all for a team that has lots of power hitters.

Archived