Apologies in advance if this seems like a rant or a knee jerk reaction.

Will anyone be held accountable for a team constructed in this manner? There is a reason why the Red Sox are surging and the o's are whimpering to the finish line. We have a lineup of one dimensional hitters (homers and k's) and mediocre starting pitching.

I ask as we in Baltimore no longer have a media to hold the front offices feet to the fire on the bad decisions that got to this point. I'm sure no heads will roll as we will likely finish above 500 and seemingly that's all that matters anymore after almost 15 straight losing seasons. But Duquette is a GM who still manages as though it's 1995.

The players cannot be blamed. This lineup has been exactly as it was drawn up and for the most part they have played exceptional.

Maybe it's just the sting of watching a team for 5 months only to collapse in month 6. No fans should have to suffer this way.

What exactly would you like to see done to hold someone accountable? And shouldn't we see how the season finishes before worrying about it?

And by the way, even though it would be excruciatingly painful if we end up missing the playoffs, I'd take this season over any of the 1998-2011 seasons any day.

This way of thinking is getting old. So what, we're not as bad as we were from 98-2011. I would like to won another championship. If this team doesn't make the playoffs, it will be VERY disappointing.

I was responding to the comment "no fans should have to suffer this way." That's a ridiculous comment. This is nowhere close to what qualifies as real fan suffering. And yes, missing the playoffs would be a bitter disappointment at this stage.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was responding to the comment "no fans should have to suffer this way." That's a ridiculous comment. This is nowhere close to what qualifies as real fan suffering. And yes, missing the playoffs would be a bitter disappointment at this stage.

I respectfully disagree it being ridiculous. I was not saying we should contend every year or go wire to wire in first place. What I was saying is we deserve better than a team built for June and July. I've been on here since the dark days of 2003. Im well aware of what true mediocrity is. Am I the only one concerned when I read reports there are no plans for a machado extension? What is the plan long term? Every great deal people congratulate DD on is a one year stop gap (Cruz, Trumbo Etc). Sure playing competitive baseball is great but how much longer do we have? Our farm system had been decimated.

Really in the dark times the season was over in June. Now people are whining because the season might be over by Sept. 25. If DD is canned, the only GM who would work for PA is Brady. If we hadn't signed Gallardo we would have had a rotation that included Wright and Wilson. As disappointing as he has been he is still an upgrade over those two. It was a mistake to let Gonzo go. Kim was a great pickup. If we had gotten another Kim bat with a better glove as well, things might be very different.

To be fair we thought we had one with Fowler.

I respectfully disagree it being ridiculous. I was not saying we should contend every year or go wire to wire in first place. What I was saying is we deserve better than a team built for June and July. I've been on here since the dark days of 2003. Im well aware of what true mediocrity is. Am I the only one concerned when I read reports there are no plans for a machado extension? What is the plan long term? Every great deal people congratulate DD on is a one year stop gap (Cruz, Trumbo Etc). Sure playing competitive baseball is great but how much longer do we have? Our farm system had been decimated.

All those concerns are very legitimate, I just thought "no fans should have to suffer this way" was over the top. I will leave it at that.

It is painful in the fact that so much was expected and yet it has not happened. Nobody wants to finish third, and in all reality we might consider ourselves actually lucky to do so. The "dark ages" never delivered the hope that this team did, simply based on the recent success of the past five years. When the stars are porperly aligned, this team can be a beautiful thing to see. Unfortunately after our early streaks we have not been able to maintain ANY momentum, and the reasons why have been duly noted. The problem is the fix. We cannot simply assume that we are going to deconstruct this team. It is suicide, but I do imagine this team looking much different next year, and into the future. Are we finished? No, but it will take a lot more than a few reclamation projects. I'd love to say it's been fun this year, but it really hasn't. It's been greatly frustrating, hugely irritating ,and yes, extremely disappointing. That said, I will always remain hopeful.

It is painful in the fact that so much was expected and yet it has not happened. Nobody wants to finish third, and in all reality we might consider ourselves actually lucky to do so. The "dark ages" never delivered the hope that this team did, simply based on the recent success of the past five years. When the stars are porperly aligned, this team can be a beautiful thing to see. Unfortunately after our early streaks we have not been able to amintain ANY momentum, and the reasons why have been duly noted. The problem is the fix. We cannot simply assume that we are going to deconstruct this team. It is suicide, but I do imagine this team looking much different next year, and into the future. Are we finished? No, but it will take a lot more than a few reclamation projects. I'd love to say it's been fun this year, but it really hasn't. It's been greatly frustrating, hugely irritating ,and yes, extremely disappointing. That said, I will always remain hopeful.

I am truly astounded by the number of people who are acting as if the season is over and we have missed the playoffs, because we have lost three games in a row. I am not saying that we have an easy path from here, or that I am confident that we will make the playoffs, but I am certainly not going to prejudge the results. The season has had many twists and turns and I have no idea how it will all turn out.

Archived