Starting Rotation the rest of the way

ChuckS

We obviously have Bundy going today against the DBacks.

Gausman, Jimenez, and Tillman are pretty much set for Toronto and I think those are probably our best guys that we could have pitching there anyway.

The last weekend against NY is where it gets tricky. It's likely that all three games will matter. I'm going Miley on Friday, Bundy on Saturday (extra rest), and Gausman on Sunday (skipping Gallardo). If by some chance we have the Wild Card locked up going into Sunday then I will pitch Gallardo there and have Gausman pitching the Wild Card game.

For a possible play-in game on Monday you would have Jimenez on five days rest and then Tillman in the WC.

I think you have it right. If we need Gausman on Sunday, then Tillman would be the wild card starter, correct? Unless he has bombed his last two starts, then Buck will have an interesting decision to make.

It's possible that the Wild Cards are secure on Sunday but the last game might determine home field. In that case, is it worth it to burn Gausman, or do you go with the Gallardo scenario and keep Gausman for the wild card regardless?

We obviously have Bundy going today against the DBacks.

Gausman, Jimenez, and Tillman are pretty much set for Toronto and I think those are probably our best guys that we could have pitching there anyway.

The last weekend against NY is where it gets tricky. It's likely that all three games will matter. I'm going Miley on Friday, Bundy on Saturday (extra rest), and Gausman on Sunday (skipping Gallardo). If by some chance we have the Wild Card locked up going into Sunday then I will pitch Gallardo there and have Gausman pitching the Wild Card game.

For a possible play-in game on Monday you would have Jimenez on five days rest and then Tillman in the WC.

Miley went on paternity.

I think you have it right. If we need Gausman on Sunday, then Tillman would be the wild card starter, correct? Unless he has bombed his last two starts, then Buck will have an interesting decision to make.

It's possible that the Wild Cards are secure on Sunday but the last game might determine home field. In that case, is it worth it to burn Gausman, or do you go with the Gallardo scenario and keep Gausman for the wild card regardless?

I'm not burning Gausman if it's only home field at stake.

I'm not burning Gausman if it's only home field at stake.

A home game without Gausman vs. playing in Toronto with Gausman. I guess I would go with the latter, but it is very close. I don't like our odds playing the WC game in Toronto.

Tillman's status looms large as well.

A home game without Gausman vs. playing in Toronto with Gausman. I guess I would go with the latter, but it is very close. I don't like our odds playing the WC game in Toronto.

Tillman's status looms large as well.

When you phrase it like that you are ignoring our chances of winning Sunday in NY with Gallardo on the mound. I think it's a pretty easy decision.

When you phrase it like that you are ignoring our chances of winning Sunday in NY with Gallardo on the mound. I think it's a pretty easy decision.

Not ignoring, just saying if it comes to home field vs Toronto, I would consider using Gausman because I think it's important. I still probably wouldn't do it, but it's not outlandish IMO.

A lot of things have to fall in place to even have that be a thing, though. Hopefully we will have the luxury of debating it next weekend.

o

Whatever the Orioles do in this final week of the regular season, I hope that the see to it that Dylan Bundy gets at least 5 days' rest for his final outing of the season.

He has already had 3 consecutive starts of having 5 days' rest, and he looked like he had regained some of his velocity in the first 3 innings of yesterday's game. Perhaps the consistent and cumulative extra rest that he has been getting is helping.

Archived