It's time to cry about the strike zone. Everyone should watch Real Sports Balls & Strikes

sportsfan8703

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the ump last night gave Toronto the corners and denied us the corners. I thought it was blatantly unfair. A good "framer" should not be allowed to get balls called strikes and a bad "framer" should not be allowed to get strikes called balls. Umpires should call a ball a ball and a strike a strike no matter what the catcher does. I recognize that "framing" can help but there is no way you can blame last nights disparity on that. The umpire was influenced by the crowd and should get a failing grade for doing so.

Yeah. I really don't want to take the human element out of the game. I just wish these guys would be held more accountable. I guess I should say "could" be held more accountable.

I want to go back to a single ump. Then the human element really comes into play on a regular basis.

McEnroe use to argue about the machines that said whether serves were in. If it were 100 percent accurate I would be all for it. If an umpire is influenced by pitch framing he should be fired. He shouldn't be looking at glove. I don't have any problem with human error but if the catcher is influencing your call you are a bad unpire.

McEnroe used to argue about the color of the sky. If the catcher is influencing the ump's call that just shows the ump is a human being.

From my naive perspective, it doesn't seem like framing would be that hard to learn and Wieters works hard. So I wonder if the team has decided it's just not important.

If it was easy wouldn't everyone do it?

MLB should seriously look into a pilot for this in spring training to evaluate its merits. If we have the technology to do it, we should do it; in my view, as we saw on Tuesday, there is too much at stake for continuing to allow so much human error. Not saying the ump lost us the game at all, but it definitely seemed we got fewer calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MLB should seriously look into a pilot for this in spring training to evaluate its merits. If we have the technology to do it, we should do it; in my view, as we saw on Tuesday, there is too much at stake for continuing to allow so much human error. Not saying the ump lost us the game at all, but it definitely seemed we got fewer calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the plate umpire did a great job Tuesday night. I only think he missed 4-5 calls. Unfortunately, one wasa

A ball 4 call on wieters in a crucial AB.

Yeah. I really don't want to take the human element out of the game. I just wish these guys would be held more accountable. I guess I should say "could" be held more accountable.

What's probably going to happen is umps will have a kind of Google glass device with Pitch Fx, and they'll call it "computer assisted" or something and we can all stop worrying about this. It's ridiculous that an umpire gets to determine the outcome of a game. And Cederstrom was horrid - HORRID. I didn't need a computer to tell me that some of those pitches he gave Stroman were six inches off the plate.

• 10 months later...

3-2 game, 2 outs in the top of the 9th, 3-0 pitch is clearly inside and should be called ball 4. Instead it's 3-1, next pitch Rickard pops up to end the game.

Umpire cost the O's a opportunity to tie or take the lead with Adam Jones due next to hit. (A double with 2 outs with Rickard on base most likely ties the game.)

5 minutes ago, O's are Legends said:

3-2 game, 2 outs in the top of the 9th, 3-0 pitch is clearly inside and should be called ball 4. Instead it's 3-1, next pitch Rickard pops up to end the game.

Umpire cost the O's a opportunity to tie or take the lead with Adam Jones due next to hit. (A double with 2 outs with Rickard on base most likely ties the game.)

It does seem like every year the umpires get worse.  We've had some pretty awful ones.  I'm still cooling off from that bogus strike call on what was ball 4 to Rickard.  

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Lol. Forgot I started this thread. That was a tough call but Rickard came up small with a 2-0 then 3-1 count tonight. He's not very good against RHP. 

We had our chances, bad luck and all.  Just came up small and really made some dumb decisions at the dish and on the base paths.  Very frustrating game.

Archived