Was last night Matt Wieters last game as an O?

Todd-O

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And you base that opinion of mediocre pitch framing on your eyes?

No, on hard data. We've had numerous discussions here over the years. All the data I've seen has him average-ish most years, which, of course, his detractors paint as "way worse than a Molina brother or Caleb Joseph." But I've seen no evidence that Wieters is being undervalued by not including pitch framing in WAR.

I think Ramos going down with a 2nd ACL has pretty much taking him out of the equation for FA catchers, leaving MW more valuable on the open market.

Kind of ironic that Wieters' own value was hurt by his TJ surgery, and now may be boosted because some other guy is having surgery. Looking around the league, the Nats, Mets, Tigers, Angels and Indians could all be suitors for Wieters (I haven't looked to see what internal solutions they might have). There are some other teams that could use him but probably wouldn't spend the money.

I don't think you make contract decisions based on development of prospects who aren't nearly sure things. Unless you're a team like the 2007 Orioles.

Enlighten me. What's your plan to for the catcher position next season?

I presume from another of your postings that you are in favor of a 1 year offer to Wieters. Why not a 3 year deal? Why not a 5 year deal which is allegedly what he is seeking?

What is your reason for not signing Wieters to a longer term deal? And assume Wieters declines the QO, what would you do in that scenario?

the Nats, Mets, Tigers, Angels and Indians could all be suitors for Wieters (I haven't looked to see what internal solutions they might have). There are some other teams that could use him but probably wouldn't spend the money.

Braves as well, or are they a year away from that kind of signing?

Enlighten me. What's your plan to for the catcher position next season?

I presume from another of your postings that you are in favor of a 1 year offer to Wieters. Why not a 3 year deal? Why not a 5 year deal which is allegedly what he is seeking?

What is your reason for not signing Wieters to a longer term deal? And assume Wieters declines the QO' date=' what would you do in that scenario?[/quote']

I would offer the QO, assuming a high likelihood he declines. If he accepts then we have a relatively low-risk one-year deal for a fairly good catcher. If he declines I go find another catcher, either on the free agent market or via trade. If I'm unsuccessful at finding a good starter my fallback plan would start with Caleb Joseph. Cisco enters the picture if or when he appears to be better than whomever is ahead of him on the depth charts.

I am not inclined to offer multi-year deals to okay players in their 30s. Decline isn't an if, but a when.

I would offer the QO, assuming a high likelihood he declines. If he accepts then we have a relatively low-risk one-year deal for a fairly good catcher. If he declines I go find another catcher, either on the free agent market or via trade. If I'm unsuccessful at finding a good starter my fallback plan would start with Caleb Joseph. Cisco enters the picture if or when he appears to be better than whomever is ahead of him on the depth charts.

I am not inclined to offer multi-year deals to okay players in their 30s. Decline isn't an if, but a when.

I think it's a good strategy, but I really don't want Joseph starting 120 games next year. That's just not happening. I'd rather have Sisco out there and make the offense better than have a good defensive catcher in there.

No, on hard data. We've had numerous discussions here over the years. All the data I've seen has him average-ish most years, which, of course, his detractors paint as "way worse than a Molina brother or Caleb Joseph." But I've seen no evidence that Wieters is being undervalued by not including pitch framing in WAR.
Kind of ironic that Wieters' own value was hurt by his TJ surgery, and now may be boosted because some other guy is having surgery. Looking around the league, the Nats, Mets, Tigers, Angels and Indians could all be suitors for Wieters (I haven't looked to see what internal solutions they might have). There are some other teams that could use him but probably wouldn't spend the money.
I think it's a good strategy, but I really don't want Joseph starting 120 games next year. That's just not happening. I'd rather have Sisco out there and make the offense better than have a good defensive catcher in there.

I couldnt disagree with you more.

The MLB will tear him apart, if he can't throw out the runners.

I think it's likely... He will not get a QO. There will be teams interested in his services - catcher is still a position that some clubs struggle with filling. The Orioles are going to have to tighten up payroll somewhere, and it's unlikely they'd splurge for Matt. I'd think he'd have to take a very team-friendly deal. Maybe he's got enough good vibes going with the team and Buck to do that. But I'm guessing he moves on.
I'm wondering just which teams need a C? Certainly not BOS, NYY, ATL, LAD.

I wish the pitch frame people would explain how they are able to determine whether an OZ strike is the umpire's mistake, the pitcher's skill, or the catcher's deception. To me it seems pretty muddy, not hard at all.

Why do you suppose every manager in baseball would disagree with you. Why to you think the majority of catchers are mediocre hitters or worse. Why do the think the defensive adjustment is highest for that position?

Archived