Chris Tillman....

osfansince85

On ESPN today in the Rumblings section I came across this...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings

• FOR THE BIRDS: You often hear Chris Tillman, obtained by the Orioles in the Erik Bedard deal, referred to as a "future ace." But one scout who covers the Eastern League -- where Tillman is currently 3-0, with a 2.87 ERA and a .173 opponent batting average -- says the 25-year-old right-hander has been over-ballyhooed. (Imagine that.)

"I don't see him as a front-of-the-rotation guy," the scout said. "I see him as more of a solid No. 4, No. 5 type guy. Don't get me wrong. He's got a good feel for pitching. He throws strikes. He's got a very good feel for what he's doing. But to me, he's kind of like an Ian Kennedy -- a guy who's advanced for his level, as far as knowing how to pitch. But his stuff isn't that dominating. I don't see enough power pitches to call him an ace."

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tillman is the youngest pitcher on any AA roster.

Kershaw is one month older.

Beat me to it. I just got done looking at all of the Eastern League rosters and was going to note that he wasn't just the youngest starter in the league, but the youngest pitcher in the league.

Yeah, over-hyped.:rolleyes:

Of course yesterday there is an article stating how mature and great Tillman is for his age and how great his makeup and stuff is.

And then along comes Stark to post this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings

• FOR THE BIRDS: You often hear Chris Tillman, obtained by the Orioles in the Erik Bedard deal, referred to as a "future ace." But one scout who covers the Eastern League -- where Tillman is currently 3-0, with a 2.87 ERA and a .173 opponent batting average -- says the 25-year-old right-hander has been over-ballyhooed. (Imagine that.)

"I don't see him as a front-of-the-rotation guy," the scout said. "I see him as more of a solid No. 4, No. 5 type guy. Don't get me wrong. He's got a good feel for pitching. He throws strikes. He's got a very good feel for what he's doing. But to me, he's kind of like an Ian Kennedy -- a guy who's advanced for his level, as far as knowing how to pitch. But his stuff isn't that dominating. I don't see enough power pitches to call him an ace."

Of course yesterday there is an article stating how mature and great Tillman is for his age and how great his makeup and stuff is.

And then along comes Stark to post this:

Well, let's start with the fact that he's not 25.

That scouting report is utterly contradictory to any other scouting report I've ever seen - which state that he sits at 92-94 and touches 95 with good life and that he's got a very good 12-6 curveball.

Orioles president Andy MacPhail refers to Tillman as "a scout's delight," a 6-foot-5 right-hander who receives high grades for his plus curveball, a fastball that touches 94 mph and a clean delivery that he easily repeats. Baseball America executive editor Jim Callis calls Tillman "your classic young, projectable pitching prospect."

Said Griffin: "Does he have a major league future? Yes, he does. Where he fits in, that will be Baltimore's choice. But he's not overmatched here by any stretch of the imagination. He fits in perfectly."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.tillman14may14,0,5519082.story

Sounds like we like him a lot and are overrating him according to "One AL Scout"

However, from everything we have read prior to this, we took Seattle behind the woodshed on this deal

Huh? It's Chris Tillman, not Chris Tejada...he's not 25. Get it right, Stark.

Anyway, thats one scouts opinion. Tillman's what, 19, 20? He's doing damn well for AA.

As far as not having "dominating" stuff, there have been many pitchers who have excelled without a 96 mph heater. I'm not worried.

Archived