Chris Tillman....

osfansince85

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
my bad, just was reading the Clemens article

Our backend of the rotation starter just K'd 9 in 6 innings of 3-hit shutout ball. In AA Bowie. At 20.

No. No. The scout's dead-on. Nothing to see here, baseball fans...

Beat me to it. I just got done looking at all of the Eastern League rosters and was going to note that he wasn't just the youngest starter in the league, but the youngest pitcher in the league.

Yeah, over-hyped.:rolleyes:

Baseball-reference has some very useful sortable leaderboards that include age:

http://minors.baseball-reference.com/pitch_leaders.cgi?yid=2008&lvl=AA&lid=&sort=age

The scout's opinion is different from what I've read, but we shouldn't just flat-out dismiss it.

I don't know. I mean, he's not 25. He's barely 20. And he does have power stuff. Plus, he's got a projectible frame. In two years he'll likely be sitting at 94-95.

How is he like Ian Kennedy, who tops out in at 90-91 and didn't get to AA until he was 22 (after college)?

They're nothing alike.

Our backend of the rotation starter just K'd 9 in 6 innings of 3-hit shutout ball. In AA Bowie. At 20.

No. No. The scout's dead-on. Nothing to see here, baseball fans...

And he does it with a mid-90s fastball and plus breaking ball. I would say that scout is in the minority. Maybe the scout thought he was 25??? Either way, I don't see how anyone can watch Tillman pitch and not see ACE stuff.

Perhaps he caught him on a bad day, but if I were him, I'd keep those comments to myself because he's going to make himself and Stark look foolish.

Only an injury keeps Tillman away from being a top of the rotation starter IMHO.

And he does it with a mid-90s fastball and plus breaking ball. I would say that scout is in the minority. Maybe the scout thought he was 25??? Either way, I don't see how anyone can watch Tillman pitch and not see ACE stuff.

Perhaps he caught him on a bad day, but if I were him, I'd keep those comments to myself because he's going to make himself and Stark look foolish.

Only an injury keeps Tillman away from being a top of the rotation starter IMHO.

If the scout was worth a salt, he'd know that Tillman is 20 and not 25, right? I can see the omission between say, 21 and 20...but 5 years is something that Tejada or Furcal didn't even try to cover up :laughlol:

It really sounds like the guy was scouting Berken, not Tillman. Berken will turn 25 this year. Berken actually does throw strikes - even after today's start, Tillman is averaging 4.82 BB/9. Berken's ceiling probably is as a #4 or #5 starter. And Berken pitched yesterday; Stark's article appeared today. I can imagine Stark calling his scout buddy and saying "What do you think about that kid starting for the Orioles' farm team? Is he going to replace Bedard?" and not realizing that maybe he needed to be more specific; if he had called a day earlier, the scout would have told him about Hernandez...

If the scout was worth a salt, he'd know that Tillman is 20 and not 25, right? I can see the omission between say, 21 and 20...but 5 years is something that Tejada or Furcal didn't even try to cover up :laughlol:

Sounds like Stark's scout does about as much homework as Stark does.

Archived