I think our rotation will be better next year

Frobby

I expect we will go to spring training with more or less the same rotation candidates as this year, but I think the starters as a group will outperform this year's staff.

- Gausman took a step up this year, seemed to gain confidence as the year progressed and I think he'll take it up a notch.

- Bundy learned a lot during his first year in the majors, will come into the season prepared to start, and will be in the rotation longer.

- Jimenez, Gallardo and Miley are more likely to improve than do worse. There's almost nowhere to go but up.

- Tillman probably is the most likely guy to do worse, but I have confidence he'll be solid.

- We shouldn't see much of Wilson or Wright, but hopefully they learned a bit while taking their lumps and will do a bit better the next time they're called upon.

All in all, I'd hope we could move into the average range next year. It doesn't seem too far fetched to me.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I expect we will go to spring training with more or less the same rotation candidates as this year, but I think the starters as a group will outperform this year's staff.

- Gausman took a step up this year, seemed to gain confidence as the year progressed and I think he'll take it up a notch.

- Bundy learned a lot during his first year in the majors, will come into the season prepared to start, and will be in the rotation longer.

- Jimenez, Gallardo and Miley are more likely to improve than do worse. There's almost nowhere to go but up.

- Tillman probably is the most likely guy to do worse, but I have confidence he'll be solid.

- We shouldn't see much of Wilson or Wright, but hopefully they learned a bit while taking their lumps and will do a bit better the next time they're called upon.

All in all, I'd hope we could move into the average range next year. It doesn't seem too far fetched to me.

Maybe better than average.

Maybe better than average.

Better than average would be sweet. Full year of Bundy and incremental improvement from Gausman, Tillman maintaining his norms, along with one or more of Gallardo, Ubaldo, and Miley pitching to their norms. Yeah, our pitching looks like it could be solid. Strangely, I like our pitching more than our offense at the moment.

I know we have Gallardo, Miley and Jimenez but I'm hoping we bring someone in to be more consistent at #3-4.

I know we are going to want to watch Bundy and his innings so I'm thinking at times when we can go with a 4 man rotation it would be nice to give Bundy the extra rest.

I do think the rotation can be better next year.

It's the line up that worries me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bundy's performance was the best thing to happen to the team this year in terms of future impact. It seems like a long time ago, but nobody was sure he would even be a viable 5th starter next year. It looks like he'll be quite a bit more than that.

If Bundy and Gausman fulfil their potential, maybe we don't need to hit 250 HRs next year to compete.

This is the main reason I think we have a solid chance of being similarly good next year as we were this year.

Tillman/Gausman/Bundy isn't an elite top three, but it should be solid. I doubt we add any SPs this winter but the Gallardo/Jimenez/Miley/Wright/Wilson contributions can't really be much worse than they were this year...can they? :leaving:

I think next years could be the O's best chance. A full year of Gausman/Tillman/Bundy and hopefully a mediocre performance between Ubaldo/Miley/Gallardo. The starting rotation could rival or surpass the 2014 Orioles. Bullpen should be money again. Just need to make the right moves with the position players, especially at catcher.

This is the main reason I think we have a solid chance of being similarly good next year as we were this year.

Tillman/Gausman/Bundy isn't an elite top three, but it should be solid. I doubt we add any SPs this winter but the Gallardo/Jimenez/Miley/Wright/Wilson contributions can't really be much worse than they were this year...can they? :leaving:

You really want to challenge that notion?

Archived