Mychal Givens could be our best trade target.

bpilktree

In a perfect world, you trade enough so that each side is balanced and still good.

The pen is ridiculous next year:

Britton $$

O'Day $$$

Brach $

Givens min

Hart min

Worley $

(6th man from rotation)

Trading one of those guys (like Brach or Britton) would not plunge the pen into DET badness, but merely take it a step back. I think this pen could afford to have 2 pieces traded from it and still be one of the best in the sport. It makes a lot of sense to trade 2 RP and get some serious minor league depth. But no way DD does that with the team competing right now.

You make some sense, and I agree.

But, you trade an arm away, sure, you have enough to get the job done, but what happens, when one of your star RP arms goes on the DL for a few weeks?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No way. We have Mariano Rivera for two more years basically, and we might as well ride him out. The time to trade him is if you are out of it at the deadline in 2018, and you would still get a boat load.

There aren't a lot of realistic trade chips on this team and FA is rarely kind to the O's. With it being a weak FA class that pushes the O's even further into obscurity. What I mean is no one signed the off season will be very significant. You've got to make the right trades and who else are we gonna trade? Brach and Givens should stay, Machado and Schoop are obviously off the table, everyone else is either an overpaid veteran or a nobody.

Drake is ready to become part of the pen.

Thats why I look to move Givens. We already have a great back end with 4 relievers in Brach, Britton, O'Day and Hart. Givens is a 6th inning man and Drake can do just that and he is even a guy that gets lefties and righties out. If you want to add another vetern right hander you can and save money getting him compared to the cost of a corner outfielder in a weak class. The relief pitching is the one spot of depth this year IMO.

Are you guys really that high on Drake? I haven't been too impressed so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was dominant the the last month for us this year. 12.1 Ip 6 hits 2 walks and 15 K's . I think he can be a very good 6th inning pitcher for us and I like he gets both righties and lefties out which is something Givens struggled with.

You make some sense, and I agree.

But, you trade an arm away, sure, you have enough to get the job done, but what happens, when one of your star RP arms goes on the DL for a few weeks?

You mean like O'Day did this year? Brach definitely hit a wall, but still finished with great numbers. A good pen has 3 great arms. We have 2 great (O'Day, Hart) and 3 elite (Britton, Brach, Givens). Losing 2 to trade and 1 to injury would definitely be a hit but not crippling. A lot of teams get by just fine with 1 great arm, 1 good arm, and a bunch of mediocre talent.

You mean like O'Day did this year? Brach definitely hit a wall, but still finished with great numbers. A good pen has 3 great arms. We have 2 great (O'Day, Hart) and 3 elite (Britton, Brach, Givens). Losing 2 to trade and 1 to injury would definitely be a hit but not crippling. A lot of teams get by just fine with 1 great arm, 1 good arm, and a bunch of mediocre talent.

You have to consider how much Brach is going to get in arbitration this year though. I imagine it will be a significant increase.

Not only would we get a nice return for him, we would save that money. And you also realize that we may have already gotten his best years out of him.

Givens is much cheaper and just scratching the surface.

Imagine what we could have gotten for Jim Johnson after the 2012 season.

You have to consider how much Brach is going to get in arbitration this year though. I imagine it will be a significant increase.

Not only would we get a nice return for him, we would save that money. And you also realize that we may have already gotten his best years out of him.

Givens is much cheaper and just scratching the surface.

Imagine what we could have gotten for Jim Johnson after the 2012 season.

I feel like you're having me respond to an argument I did not make. I'm fully on board with trading 2 of 3 of Brach, Britton or O'Day under the assumption they fetch great packages in return.

I just don't think there's any possibility DD would take a direction like that.

He was dominant the the last month for us this year. 12.1 Ip 6 hits 2 walks and 15 K's . I think he can be a very good 6th inning pitcher for us and I like he gets both righties and lefties out which is something Givens struggled with.

I have hope but would not want to go into next year banking on him if that makes any sense. He hasn't done enough for me to trust him.

Ten years?? There won't be any other way to acquire a catcher until 2026?

Nope. None.

Premise: the world is a barren wasteland with no catchers in sight. One man, Chance Sisco, is all that remains of once proud people.

Coming to an OPACY near you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived