2016 Arizona Fall League - Bird Watching

Legend_Of_Joey

Scott -- his SOP is to get behind with fastballs just off the plate and then groove cripples; his breaking ball (when not middle/middle) is down and off the plate glove side

The rundown botch:Top of 1st; Glendale batting; already scored 2 runs; 1 out; runners on 1st and 3rd; delayed steal attempt by runner at 1st; runner stops and attempts to retreat to 1st after catcher throws to Marin @ 2B; Marin chases runner almost all the way back to 1B before tagging him out while runner scores from 3B

Thanks Ron! Also, not sure if you got any of my PM's, since its been acting up since the site upgrade.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">DH DJ Stewart (<a href="https://twitter.com/Orioles">@Orioles</a>) hits his first home run of the Fall League to put Peoria ahead 3-2 in the 6th in Mesa. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/AFL25?src=hash">#AFL25</a></p>— Arizona Fall League (@MLBazFallLeague) <a href="
">November 9, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yep. He finally paid his BGE bill.

Recap of Peoria 11/9, which Peoria won:

3 Birds started, with an apperance by 2 others. Some good stuff, some bad stuff, some...Well, some stuff.

DJ Stewart (DH) - 3 *official* at bats, 1 hit (hr), 1 rbi, 1 run, 1 walk, 1 strike out

Austin Wynns © - 3 *official* at bats, 2 hits, 1 walk, 1 k, caught 3 runners stealing (including a strike out/throw out in the 9th), had 1 make it (off of Crichton, on an off speed pitch low near the dirt). Could of had atleast 1 rbi, but his second hit actually struck the runner going from 2nd to 3rd. Figures.

Tanner Scott (SP) - 2.0 IP, 3 hits (including a solo home run), 1 walk, 3 k's, 43 pitches, 29 strikes, 1 ground out, 1 fly out, 10 batters faced

Jimmy Yacabonis (RP) - 1.0 IP, 0 hits, 0 runs, 1 walk, 1 k, 16 pitches, 11 strikes, 2 ground outs, 4 batters faced

Stefan Crichton (RP) - 1.0 IP, 1 hit, 2 runs (1 earned), 1 walk, 1 k, 23 pitches, 14 strikes, 1 ground out, 1 fly out, 6 batters faced, 1 throwing error

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Austin Wynns © - 3 *official* at bats, 2 hits, 1 walk, 1 k, caught 3 runners stealing (including a strike out/throw out in the 9th), had 1 make it (off of Crichton, on an off speed pitch low near the dirt). Could of had atleast 1 rbi, but his second hit actually struck the runner going from 2nd to 3rd. Figures.

So he really got 4 base runners out. ;) Buck loves catchers who can throw, so Wynns might get a real look.

So he really got 4 base runners out. ;) Buck loves catchers who can throw, so Wynns might get a real look.

Haha yeah, Wynns was savage, taking out runners all over the place, regardless of team!

I've said it so many times before...Wynns is THE best defensive catcher in their system right now. He started off slow on the bat in the AFL, but has picked it up big time and has the highest average of the 3 Orioles there.

He is also Rule 5 eligible. I would love for him to be on the 40 before the draft, because Sisco is still green behind the plate and people have thrown out the idea of him being a DH or another position, so having a solid backstop in Wynns could be useful in Baltimore.

Peoria 11/11:

Only DJ Stewart played for the Birds.

DJ Stewart (LF) 4 abs, 2 hits, 1 run, 1 strike out

No other players or pitchers got in today.

Tomorrow night they will be on the MLB Network in a game against the Salt River Scorpions. Might be a good way to check out a few of the prospects. Gae is at 6:08 PM MST (So about 8:08 PM in Baltimore time.)

Side note: The catcher Peoria had tonight went 0-4 with 4 strike outs and allowed 3 stolen bases. Ouch. No, it wasn't Wynns.

Peoria played tonight (11/12) in the "Salute To Service" game and the Birds that played...Well...

They bombed.

I'm here all week folks!

DJ Stewart (LF) 3 at bats, 1 walk, 2 strike outs, 1 hit by pitch, caught stealing a base

Parker Bridwell (RP) 2 IP, 4 hits, 3 runs (2 earned), blown save, 20 pitches, 16 strikes, 1 wild pitch, 1 ground out, 2 fly outs, 10 batters faced

Stefan Crichton (RP) 1 IP, 1 k, 11 pitches, 6 strikes, 2 ground outs, 3 batters faced

We now enter the final week of the season!

Peoria played tonight (11/12) in the "Salute To Service" game and the Birds that played...Well...

They bombed.

I'm here all week folks!

DJ Stewart (LF) 3 at bats, 1 walk, 2 strike outs, 1 hit by pitch, caught stealing a base

Parker Bridwell (RP) 2 IP, 4 hits, 3 runs (2 earned), blown save, 20 pitches, 16 strikes, 1 wild pitch, 1 ground out, 2 fly outs, 10 batters faced

Stefan Crichton (RP) 1 IP, 1 k, 11 pitches, 6 strikes, 2 ground outs, 3 batters faced

For dj, isn't that a .500 obp?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They bombed.

I'm here all week folks!

Hasn't dj done pretty well overall?

Hasn't dj done pretty well overall?

Here are his stats so far:

DJ Stewart: 19 games, 68 at bats, 17 hits (5 doubles, 1 triple, 1 home run), 7 runs, 8 rbi's, 17 walks, 19 strike outs, 4 stolen bases, 2 caught stealing, .402 OBP, .397 slugging, .250 average, .799 OPS

Here is how he compares to his team:

Tied 1st in Games

2nd in At bats

4th in Hits

Tied for 3rd in Doubles (3 players with 6)

Tied with 5 players for 3rd in Triples

Tied for 6th with 5 others in Home Runs

Tied for 10th in Runs

Tied with several others in RBI's (towards the bottom)

1st in Walks

Tied for 4th in Strikes Outs

Tied for 1st with Stolen Bases

Tied for 2nd in Caught Stealing

6th for On Base Percentage

8th for Slugging

9th for Average

7th for OPS

Overall, he is average, which is where he usually is. Nothing stands out about him other than "1st Round Pick." Unfortuantely, I'm not there in person, so I don't know how his fielding is.

He was the Orioles only AFL All Star, which was confusing. Wynns wasn't going to make it, as he has been the back up catcher in Peoria (but leads the team in OBP, is .001 behind Stewart for OPS) and Adrian Marin is still getting his rental car, as far as position players go. But Stefan Crichton (RP) was the most dominant closer in the league, with a 0.00 era at the time with only a few scattered hits allowed.

Stewarts "1st Round Pick" is what gets him these chances. While other teams are posting articles about how amazing their top prospect is doing, the Orioles generally rely on articles about Crichton, their Rule 5 players in the AFL, Wynns with his hitting streak, or anything else, except DJ.

Not saying he won't come back in 2017 at Frederick and start turning into Hank Aaron, continuing through Bowie, and having an O's uniform on in September and being the Orioles version of Aaron/Mays/Trout all rolled into one...

But...Don't expect him at Camden Yards unless he has a ticket, at the rate he is going.

Crichton, Wynns, Yacabonis, and Scott all have better shots.

Here are his stats so far:

DJ Stewart: 19 games, 68 at bats, 17 hits (5 doubles, 1 triple, 1 home run), 7 runs, 8 rbi's, 17 walks, 19 strike outs, 4 stolen bases, 2 caught stealing, .402 OBP, .397 slugging, .250 average, .799 OPS

Here is how he compares to his team:

Tied 1st in Games

2nd in At bats

4th in Hits

Tied for 3rd in Doubles (3 players with 6)

Tied with 5 players for 3rd in Triples

Tied for 6th with 5 others in Home Runs

Tied for 10th in Runs

Tied with several others in RBI's (towards the bottom)

1st in Walks

Tied for 4th in Strikes Outs

Tied for 1st with Stolen Bases

Tied for 2nd in Caught Stealing

6th for On Base Percentage

8th for Slugging

9th for Average

7th for OPS

Overall, he is average, which is where he usually is. Nothing stands out about him other than "1st Round Pick." Unfortuantely, I'm not there in person, so I don't know how his fielding is.

He was the Orioles only AFL All Star, which was confusing. Wynns wasn't going to make it, as he has been the back up catcher in Peoria (but leads the team in OBP, is .001 behind Stewart for OPS) and Adrian Marin is still getting his rental car, as far as position players go. But Stefan Crichton (RP) was the most dominant closer in the league, with a 0.00 era at the time with only a few scattered hits allowed.

Stewarts "1st Round Pick" is what gets him these chances. While other teams are posting articles about how amazing their top prospect is doing, the Orioles generally rely on articles about Crichton, their Rule 5 players in the AFL, Wynns with his hitting streak, or anything else, except DJ.

Not saying he won't come back in 2017 at Frederick and start turning into Hank Aaron, continuing through Bowie, and having an O's uniform on in September and being the Orioles version of Aaron/Mays/Trout all rolled into one...

But...Don't expect him at Camden Yards unless he has a ticket, at the rate he is going.

Crichton, Wynns, Yacabonis, and Scott all have better shots.

I think you're being a bit too harsh on Stewart. Considering his poor performances at Aberdeen and Delmarva, I'm pleased that he improved at Frederick and has held his own in the AFL. How many guys playing in the AFL this year have only one full season of MiL ball, including half a season at high A and none at AA, under their belt? Hardly any, I'd bet. I agree Stewart is no phenom, and still kind of disappointing for a late first-round draft pick out of a big-time college program, but he's done enough to place himself at AA in 2017, and if he keep putting up a .380+ OBP this year, then I do think he's a major league prospect, even if not a prospective star.

I think you're being a bit too harsh on Stewart. Considering his poor performances at Aberdeen and Delmarva, I'm pleased that he improved at Frederick and has held his own in the AFL. How many guys playing in the AFL this year have only one full season of MiL ball, including half a season at high A and none at AA, under their belt? Hardly any, I'd bet. I agree Stewart is no phenom, and still kind of disappointing for a late first-round draft pick out of a big-time college program, but he's done enough to place himself at AA in 2017, and if he keep putting up a .380+ OBP this year, then I do think he's a major league prospect, even if not a prospective star.
Agreed 100% with Frobby. It's all about him adjusting the mechanics of his stance. And if Scott ends up with a more successful ML career, I'll eat my O's hat.

I may be a bit harsh on the evaluation of Stewart, but it is because, to me atleast, I don't get the hype. He was doing pretty bad in Delmarva and was bumped up. If he wasn't a first round pick, I don't think that would have happened. On paper, he seems to have good numbers. Nothing impressive, but nothing bad. But in person, there is just something that doesn't seem right. I can't put my finger on it, but he just looked average and like someone that will make a career out of the minors. But with the horrors of the outfield in Baltimore, he might eventually get a look.

As far as mechanics of his stance...You're right. Once he works on it and works on his hand speed and bat control, it might get better. He has a decent eye for the zone. His fielding needs work and his arm is average, at best.

As far as Bowie goes, that to me, would be a big rush. Let him get a full season at Frederick. Keep working on his mechanics and skills first. Bowie is a different world than Frederick. If he tears up Frederick, then go ahead. If he keeps being spotty, keep working with him.

Now, for Tanner Scott...Control has been the biggest issue. He throws in the really high 90's, so you already know he is on the radar for the Orioles. If he even shows a bit better command and cuts down on the long ball, he will get a shot, just because of the triple digits.

I think he'll break out this year.

Archived