2016 Arizona Fall League - Bird Watching

Legend_Of_Joey

Last one makes me happy

As you should be.

I'm going to do a breakdown after the season, but right now, here are my thoughts on the O's there:

Stewart: His status as a 1st round pick opened doors for him. His average is down, his power and contact are down. He has a lot of walks though, so his eye at the plate has increased.

Wynns: He was drafted for defense, not his bat. It shows. There are 3 catchers on the team, so he doesn't get a lot of reps. Batting has increased a little lately and is no longer the worst on the team, but his defense is one of the best in the league (0 passed balls, 1 error, will have to check his stolen base stuff at the end)

Marin: If he moves up from Bowie, it'll be for his glove. He has played 2nd, 3rd, and ss. 0 errors, several turned double plays. Arm needs a little work, but his glove is excellent. Currently searching ebay for batting skills.

Scott: Decent starter. Throws 100 to the plate, but has TJ McFarland syndrome with the long ball, when he actually gets it over the plate.

Yacabonis: Started off very well, but hit a rough spot. Gave up a bunch of hits and runs the past few appearances. I think he is working on a new pitch.

Crichton: Very solid reliever. He was ok in Bowie but has been dominant in the AFL while others have struggled. Gets the ball on the ground and pounds the strike zone. Diamond in the rough.

Liranzo/Bridwell: Liranzo had 1 appearance, didn't do well, and was recently replaced due to an injury. Bridwell hasn't appeared yet, to my knowledge.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There have been guys within the Orioles organization that have been pointing out Crichton for the last two years, but his numbers never add up to the hype. His problems have been inconsistent command, but when he's on, he's as good as anyone. Sounds like out in the AFL he's been on, but I'd like to see him put up some extended successful in season time at AAA before getting too excited over him. He's still in that Yacobonis, Meisinger, Bridwell group. Right-handed relievers who have a chance to pitch in the big leagues. Meisinger is the best "pitcher" of them all, but his fastball is lacking compared to the other three.

Stewart (67 PA): .226/.388/.340, 0 HR, 5 RBI

Wynns (30 PA): .240/.367/.280, 0 HR, 0 RBI

Marin (42 PA): .158/.250/.211, 0 HR, 5 RBI

Crichton: 9 IP, 0.00 ERA, 0 BB, 6 K's

Scott: 8.2 IP, 6.23 ERA, 3 BB, 8 K's

Yacobonis: 8 IP, 6.75 ERA, 4 BB, 9 K's

Liranzo: 1.2 IP, 5.40 ERA, 2 BB, 1 K (shut down)

I don't consider Stewart's performance too bad, considering he's only played half a season of high A. It would be nice to see him get his BA up and hit a couple of long balls, but the OBP is where you'd like it to be.

Stewart (67 PA): .226/.388/.340, 0 HR, 5 RBI

Wynns (30 PA): .240/.367/.280, 0 HR, 0 RBI

Marin (42 PA): .158/.250/.211, 0 HR, 5 RBI

Crichton: 9 IP, 0.00 ERA, 0 BB, 6 K's

Scott: 8.2 IP, 6.23 ERA, 3 BB, 8 K's

Yacobonis: 8 IP, 6.75 ERA, 4 BB, 9 K's

Liranzo: 1.2 IP, 5.40 ERA, 2 BB, 1 K (shut down)

I don't consider Stewart's performance too bad, considering he's only played half a season of high A. It would be nice to see him get his BA up and hit a couple of long balls, but the OBP is where you'd like it to be.

I'd say that this is pretty much what we could expect from the group of guys we sent. Crichton is promising and I hope he carries this momentum into AAA next year. Looking back on it he had a solid season in AA, but not spectacular.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=592233#/career/R/pitching/2016/ALL

Pretty much expected this from Scott, especially since they are starting him and not just using him in 1 inning stints. Nothing to worry about as far as I'm concerned. Stewart's numbers would look a lot better if you just replaced an out with a HR.

Liranzo being shut down is troublesome since he has to be protected on the 40 man or be eligible for the Rule 5 draft. Might be a tough decision there. Overall it looks like a pretty meh AFL for O's fans.

November 4th results:

So, Peoria lost, but I think they emptied their bench just about. Lots of good and bad for the O's in this game.

Stewart, Marin, and Scott started the game. Wynns, Bridwell, and Yacabonis all made appearences.

First the stats:

DJ Stewart (LF) - 3 abs, 2 hits, 1 strikeout (.250 average going into the all star break) (pulled in 6th)

Austin Wynns © - 1 ab, 1 hit (.269 average going into the all star break), caught 1 runner stealing (came on in 7th)

Adrian Marin (2nd) 2 at bats, 0 hits (.150 average going into all star break, hit for in 6th)

Tanner Scott (SP) - 2.0 IP, 2 hits, 3 runs, 3 earned, 3 walks, 1 strike out (7.59 era), took the loss (0-2); 38 pitches, 18 strikes, 2 ground outs, 1 flyouts, 9 batters faced

Parker Bridwell (RP) - 1.0 IP, 1 hit, 1 walk, 1 strikeout (0.00 era, first apperance); 15 pitches, 7 strikes, 1 ground out, 4 batters faced

Jimmy Yacabonis (RP) - 0.1 IP, 2 hits, 0 runs, 0 walks, 0 strike outs (6.48 era); 7 pitches, 5 strikes, 1 ground out, 3 batters faced, 1 inherited runner scored

Thoughts:

Well, they emptied their bench and all the Birds got in, except Crichton. They had extra rest from the rain out and have another extra day off, due to the All Star Game tomorrow (available on MLB Network.)

Scott struggled with his command. He has lost it during the Fall League. Hopefully he can work on it and have a good Spring Training and get it under control.

Bridwell finally made an apperance and decided to do a bit of everything.

Yacabonis struggled a bit in his 0.1 inning, but the entire pitching staff had a rough outing. This is a bit normal for him, but he also came in during an inning.

Stewart finally picked things up a bit. Seems to be his M.O. Make you wonder why he is where he is, then he will do just enough to say "hmm..." He gets the All Star nod for tomorrow, so lets see what happens.

Wynns is finally getting his bat in order. He is a contact hitter and the balls are finally going through. His defense still shines. The catcher he replaced made a throwing error earlier in the game (his 5th), while Wynns still has only a "catchers interference" to his record. Also caught a runner stealing.

Marin is still all glove. He wasn't a bad hitter in Bowie, but this isn't a good sign. I don't know if they are tweaking his batting and he is having difficulty adjusting, but his glove remains there.

In replies to the thread, Stewart is a always off to a slow start. He mixes in "maybe he is onto something" with "what the hell where the Orioles thinking!?" He could grow into a first round Nolan Reimold.

Crichton will probably start off in Bowie and if he continues like the way he has, I could see a trip to Norfolk early in the season for him (like Gunkel and half of Bowie had a month into the year.) If he continues to impress there, I could see him in an Orioles uniform.

They plan to limit Scott at 2.0 IP every start. His control has gotten a bit worse with the walks, but he is allowing more hits, so he is getting the strike zone a bit too. He needs another pitch, as a fastball in the high 90's will only work for so long. He doesn't hide the ball like Randy Johnson was able to.

Liranzo does bother me too, as he has been hurt all year. Keeping him on the 40 is risky, but so is exposing him. It depends on his injury though.

I'm not sure who else is "Rule 5" eligible.

I expect Wynns and Marin to be in Bowie to start off. Wynns ended last season in Norfolk, after Pena was called up on the expanded roster (and then left at the airport, since we never saw him) and Perez got hurt. His defense is the best thing going for him and probaly the organization. I wouldn't be shocked if he is a non-roster invitee, like Heim was. Marin will need to work on the bat and if he can get his swing back, I could see him possibly being called up after next season if he keeps his defense up and can get the lumber. He would be a Paul Janish 2.0 player.

Yacabonis moved from Frederick to Bowie last season and showed some good stuff in Bowie. If he can work there and get his stuff under control like he had at the start of the AFL, Norfolk may not be too far away for him. Orioles bullpen? Hmm...Maybe with a few injuries.

Bridwell just needs to get his head straight after his MLB debut. He could still come back and impress.

All hope is not lost.

The All Star game is over! Stewart didn't start, but he played.

DJ Stewart (LF) 2 *official* at bats, 1 k, 1 hbp, 1 ground out (came in as a pinch hitter in bottom of 4th)

So, 0-2 in the All Star game, along with being drilled once. Wouldn't be too bad...

But this was NOT a pitchers game.

Most pitchers had a 18.00 ERA, one even had an 81.00 ERA.

There were 16 runs, 17 hits, and 4 home runs combined.

The league resumes play on Monday. Peoria plays a night game that will be televised on the MLB Network next Saturday (11/12) if anyone is interested in seeing the team without the flight costs.

11/7 Updates:

Well, since starting the AFL season extremely hot (after 2 straight ties...) Peoria has decided to turn into the Cleveland Browns of the AFL.

3 of the Birds got in, none with good results. To be fair, Glendale (the opponent) scored 15 runs off 16 hits, so it isn't like the team was good...On the bright side, none of the 4 home runs hit came off an Orioles prospect pitcher. So, there is that...

DJ Stewart *fresh off his AFL All Star Game "because everyone gets in" time* (LF) - 2 *official* abs, 0 hits, 1 rbi (sac fly), 1 walk

Yacabonis (RP) - 0.2 IP, 2 hits, 4 runs (all earned), 2 walks, 1 strike out, 1 wild pitch, 25 pitches, 11 strikeouts, 1 flyout, 6 batters faced

Crichton (RP) - 0.2 IP, 2 hits, 2 runs (all earned), 1 walk, 1 strike out, 2 inherited runners scored, 22 pitches, 14 strikes, 5 batters faced

Also, Yacabonis, Crichton, Wynns, and Marin are the AFL players that are Rule 5 eligible for the Orioles, so that is something to keep an eye on. So is Liranzo, but with him being injured, who knows.

11/8 game stuff:

2 of the Birds started and neither one was named "DJ Stewart!"

Austin Wynns (DH) 3 abs, 1 hit, 1 run, 1 walk (also advanced a runner over, which led to...)

Adrian Marin (3rd) 2 abs, 1 rbi (sac fly after Wynns advanced the runner), 1 k, 1 hbp, had 2 errors in the field (d'oh!)

Parker Bridwell (RP) 1.0 IP, 2 hits, 1 walk, had a runner caught stealing, 18 pitches, 11 strikes, 1 ground out, 1 fly out, 6 batters faced

Thoughts:

After a great defensive showing, Marin lost it tonight with the 2 errors. Wynns is getting his swing going in the late innings again (hit in the 9th), and Bridwell had his second outing.

Appearances by Tanner Scott, DJ Stewart, Adrian Marin, Parker Bridwell, Austin Wynns and Jimmy Yacabonis

Tanner Scott -- I've seen him a few times now; pitches out of the stretch with a 3/4 arm slot; threw fb 98-99 mph and occasional breaking ball (slider (maybe a cutter)) @ 91 - 92 mph; little command but not totally wild; behind most hitters; both his breaking ball and fastball were hit hard in the 1st inning; looked way better in the 2nd inning -- has potential but needs a lot of tuning

DJ Stewart -- I've seen him a few times now; for the 1st time, saw him field a couple of balls (a double past the 3b (uncertain on arm strength); has some speed but not a burner (caught attempting to steal 2nd on the back end of a double steal); one of his 2 ground ball hits to the left of ss was sharply struck; looks like he may have an idea as a hitter; will require patience and help

Adrian Marin -- played 2b; botched a rundown and allowed a run to score; fielded a couple of ground balls ok; lined out sharply to left

Parker Bridwell -- threw from the stretch; 92 - 94 mph; not particularly sharp; walked a batter after falling behind 3 - 0; a couple of hard hit balls; got a couple of swings and misses

Austin Wynns -- late inning replacement; strong, accurate arm (got a caught stealing); got a single; he'll be 26 in December; has 8 strikeouts and 6 walks in 35 PA's

Jimmy Yacabonis -- from the stretch and low 3/4 arm slot (close to sidearm); control ok, command no; too many balls in middle/middle

Players to watch: Austin Gomber; Kean Wong (Kolten's brother)

Appearances by Tanner Scott, DJ Stewart, Adrian Marin, Parker Bridwell, Austin Wynns and Jimmy Yacabonis

Tanner Scott -- I've seen him a few times now; pitches out of the stretch with a 3/4 arm slot; threw fb 98-99 mph and occasional breaking ball (slider (maybe a cutter)) @ 91 - 92 mph; little command but not totally wild; behind most hitters; both his breaking ball and fastball were hit hard in the 1st inning; looked way better in the 2nd inning -- has potential but needs a lot of tuning

DJ Stewart -- I've seen him a few times now; for the 1st time, saw him field a couple of balls (a double past the 3b (uncertain on arm strength); has some speed but not a burner (caught attempting to steal 2nd on the back end of a double steal); one of his 2 ground ball hits to the left of ss was sharply struck; looks like he may have an idea as a hitter; will require patience and help

Adrian Marin -- played 2b; botched a rundown and allowed a run to score; fielded a couple of ground balls ok; lined out sharply to left

Parker Bridwell -- threw from the stretch; 92 - 94 mph; not particularly sharp; walked a batter after falling behind 3 - 0; a couple of hard hit balls; got a couple of swings and misses

Austin Wynns -- late inning replacement; strong, accurate arm (got a caught stealing); got a single; he'll be 26 in December; has 8 strikeouts and 6 walks in 35 PA's

Jimmy Yacabonis -- from the stretch and low 3/4 arm slot (close to sidearm); control ok, command no; too many balls in middle/middle

Players to watch: Austin Gomber; Kean Wong (Kolten's brother)

Thank you very much!

Just a few questions:

For Scott, were most of his pitches missing high, low, or off the plate?

Marin's botch of the rundown, was that on the double steal? Curious about that one for recording purposes.

Thank you very much! Just a few questions: For Scott, were most of his pitches missing high, low, or off the plate?

Marin's botch of the rundown, was that on the double steal? Curious about that one for recording purposes.

Scott -- his SOP is to get behind with fastballs just off the plate and then groove cripples; his breaking ball (when not middle/middle) is down and off the plate glove side

The rundown botch:Top of 1st; Glendale batting; already scored 2 runs; 1 out; runners on 1st and 3rd; delayed steal attempt by runner at 1st; runner stops and attempts to retreat to 1st after catcher throws to Marin @ 2B; Marin chases runner almost all the way back to 1B before tagging him out while runner scores from 3B

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">DH DJ Stewart (<a href="https://twitter.com/Orioles">@Orioles</a>) hits his first home run of the Fall League to put Peoria ahead 3-2 in the 6th in Mesa. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/AFL25?src=hash">#AFL25</a></p>— Arizona Fall League (@MLBazFallLeague) <a href="

">November 9, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived