2016 Arizona Fall League - Bird Watching

Legend_Of_Joey

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I may be a bit harsh on the evaluation of Stewart, but it is because, to me atleast, I don't get the hype. He was doing pretty bad in Delmarva and was bumped up. If he wasn't a first round pick, I don't think that would have happened. On paper, he seems to have good numbers. Nothing impressive, but nothing bad. But in person, there is just something that doesn't seem right. I can't put my finger on it, but he just looked average and like someone that will make a career out of the minors. But with the horrors of the outfield in Baltimore, he might eventually get a look.

As far as mechanics of his stance...You're right. Once he works on it and works on his hand speed and bat control, it might get better. He has a decent eye for the zone. His fielding needs work and his arm is average, at best.

As far as Bowie goes, that to me, would be a big rush. Let him get a full season at Frederick. Keep working on his mechanics and skills first. Bowie is a different world than Frederick. If he tears up Frederick, then go ahead. If he keeps being spotty, keep working with him.

Now, for Tanner Scott...Control has been the biggest issue. He throws in the really high 90's, so you already know he is on the radar for the Orioles. If he even shows a bit better command and cuts down on the long ball, he will get a shot, just because of the triple digits.

I will be surprised if Stewart begins 2017 in high A. I think the whole point of sending him to the AFL was to get him an extra 100 PA against semi-advanced pitching so he could avoid returning to Frederick. And I think he's done enough in the AFL to advance to AA next April.

As to Scott, I have a real bias against hard throwers who can't throw strikes.

I will be surprised if Stewart begins 2017 in high A. I think the whole point of sending him to the AFL was to get him an extra 100 PA against semi-advanced pitching so he could avoid returning to Frederick. And I think he's done enough in the AFL to advance to AA next April.

As to Scott, I have a real bias against hard throwers who can't throw strikes.

The only reason I could see him at High A to start is to keep his confidence up, before going to Bowie. If he starts in Bowie and tanks, then what? Send him down, sit him, or keep playing him and hoping he pulls through?

Scott is...Like an early version of Randy Johnson, without the strike outs. He throws hard, he throws wild, but he also throws to contact.

I think as he develops a bit more, he will reduce the speed and gain more control.

Well, Peoria started the last week of the AFL season today (11/14), 1 game back in the standings.

Things didn't go so well...

DJ Stewart (LF) 3 at bats, 0 hits, 1 walk, 1 strike out

Jimmy Yacabonis (RP) 1.0 IP, 3 hits, 2 runs (both earned), 0 walks, 0 strike outs, 19 pitches, 11 strikes, 2 ground outs, 5 batters faced

3 more games left in the season. 4, if they make it to the championship on Saturday.

The only reason I could see him at High A to start is to keep his confidence up, before going to Bowie. If he starts in Bowie and tanks, then what? Send him down, sit him, or keep playing him and hoping he pulls through?

Scott is...Like an early version of Randy Johnson, without the strike outs. He throws hard, he throws wild, but he also throws to contact.

I think as he develops a bit more, he will reduce the speed and gain more control.

He's much more likely to be an early version of Brad Pennington, Kam Mickolio, Jim Hoey or dozens of other guys who threw in the high 90's but had no ability to command the baseball.

He's much more likely to be an early version of Brad Pennington, Kam Mickolio, Jim Hoey or dozens of other guys who threw in the high 90's but had no ability to command the baseball.

Thanks. I honestly had no clue who those guys where. The only two really hard throwers who were also wild that I know are Randy Johnson and Rick Vaughn. I need to learn more.

Peoria played today (11/15) and...Well...

It was the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Lets start off with stats!

DJ Stewart (RF) 3 at bats, 0 hits, 1 walk

Austin Wynns © 4 at bats, 2 hits (1 home run), 2 runs scored, 2 rbis, 1 strike out (10 pitches), 1 runner caught stealing, 1 error (catcher interference) *second time this season...*, allowed a stolen base (see: Crichton)

Tanner Scott (SP) 3 IP, 1 hit, 5 k's, 40 pitches, 27 strikes, 3 flyouts, 9 batters faced *the minimum*, had a pickoff at 1st

Stefan Crichton (RP) 0.1 IP, 5 hits, 5 runs (all earned), 1 walk, 1 wild pitch, 19 pitches, 9 strikes, 1 fly out, 7 batters faced

The Good:

Austin Wynns now has a 6 game hitting streak, hit his first AFL home run, had a 10 pitch at bat (struck out eventually, but 10 pitches..), saved sevearl wild pitches/passed balls, caught a runner stealing (had no chance on the second one, as Crichton threw it very low and outside)

Tanner Scott had a VERY solid outing, facing the minimum thanks to the caught stealing/pick off. 5 k's is, I believe, his most in that many innings this fall. It shows he can be overpowering a bit when he gets his control.

The Bad:

DJ Stewart went hitless. Adrian Marin is probably walking back to Baltimore right now, as he hasn't played in over a week. Peoria is just about elminated from playing for the Championship.

The Ugly:

Stefan Crichton. One bad outing, but man, was it BAD! Gave up Tebow's only hit (double) and didn't have much control. 5 earned runs is bad enough, but throw in 5 runs in only 7 batters, with a wild pitch and a walk...Not the best day at the ballpark.

2 more games left in the AFL season, as it would take something impressive for Peoria to play Saturday. I'll have a breakdown of stats and some notes after their last game, whichever day it is.

vs. Tim Tebow and the Scorpions @ Scottsdale Stadium

Observations:

DJ Stewart:

Played right field; involved in several fielding plays; after seeing him play several times, this was the first occasion on which I got a good view of his fielding prowess; he's OK; he made an excellent play retreating to the fence in right center and making a running over the shoulder grab; he raced in a couple of times to catch short flies and a humpback liner; also came in on a couple of occasions to field sharp singles with runners in scoring position; he threw weakly, but accurately, to the first baseman cutting off the ball on 1 hop about 35 feet up the line to 1b.

At the plate: popped to short; worked the count to 3 and 2 with a couple balls fouled back and walked on a close pitch middle/out; chopper off the trademark to the second baseman; popped to short; seemed fooled on a couple breaking balls

Austin Wynns:

Caught one runner stealing @ 2B; another later attempt was successful; all his throws were low and accurate; pop time average 2.01 seconds -- considered decent for a major league catcher; the best throwing catchers are at 1.8 - 1.9; had his second interference call, again reaching in too far to catch a ball at which the batter swung -- strange

At the plate: blasted a line drive home run deep to left-center (I think it was a low 90's fastball); creamed a line drive to the third baseman who made a nice backhand play to snare it; struck out on a breaking ball away; pop fly single to right center on which it appeared center fielder lost the ball while Tim Tebow spectated

Tanner Scott:

This was the best I have seen him look; fastball was 97 - 98; threw more breaking balls (most down/in to righties and down/away to lefties); only 2 hard hit balls; first pitch of the game was lined to center for the only hit off of him; the long ball to right center on which Stewart made the difficult catch; picked the only runner off of 1B; struck out 5 and walked none

Stefan Crichton:

Was absolutely clobbered; the only out that he got was a fairly well hit ball to center that went for a sac fly; the only ball not hit well was an rbi grounder through the 1B/2B hole; saw 93 on the gun and line drives all over the field

Tim Tebow:

It's obvious he hasn't played in the field in years; Scott made him look bad; struck out twice in the game but hit a deep line drive double off Crichton to left-center but Crichton was throwing batting practice

I think you're being a bit too harsh on Stewart. Considering his poor performances at Aberdeen and Delmarva, I'm pleased that he improved at Frederick and has held his own in the AFL. How many guys playing in the AFL this year have only one full season of MiL ball, including half a season at high A and none at AA, under their belt? Hardly any, I'd bet. I agree Stewart is no phenom, and still kind of disappointing for a late first-round draft pick out of a big-time college program, but he's done enough to place himself at AA in 2017, and if he keep putting up a .380+ OBP this year, then I do think he's a major league prospect, even if not a prospective star.

I agree. How can anyone not be happy about what he's done since being promoted from Delmarva?

I'm not going to sit here and be a Stewart apologist, but ok I will. He signed late last year. Had a long baseball season because of FSU being good. Didn't work out for an extended period because he was negotiating a contract. That's his agents MO, and it's smart for the player.

This year he was in really good shape. Remember like what Eddie Lacy said "Not everyone is built like Adrian Peterson." He's a short stocky guy, but I don't think he's got a lot of body fat and he's got some wheels. I think a lot of people want to criticize him because he's built more like Kirby Puckett than Tim Tebow :hearts:. Just admit it.

I'd be willing to bet that he starts next year in Bowie. 1.5 seasons of pro ball to reach AA is nothing to be let down about. He'll be 23 for all of next baseball season. Hopefully that will be spread out over AA/AAA.

Observations:

DJ Stewart:

Played right field; involved in several fielding plays; after seeing him play several times, this was the first occasion on which I got a good view of his fielding prowess; he's OK; he made an excellent play retreating to the fence in right center and making a running over the shoulder grab; he raced in a couple of times to catch short flies and a humpback liner; also came in on a couple of occasions to field sharp singles with runners in scoring position; he threw weakly, but accurately, to the first baseman cutting off the ball on 1 hop about 35 feet up the line to 1b.

At the plate: popped to short; worked the count to 3 and 2 with a couple balls fouled back and walked on a close pitch middle/out; chopper off the trademark to the second baseman; popped to short; seemed fooled on a couple breaking balls

Austin Wynns:

Caught one runner stealing @ 2B; another later attempt was successful; all his throws were low and accurate; pop time average 2.01 seconds -- considered decent for a major league catcher; the best throwing catchers are at 1.8 - 1.9; had his second interference call, again reaching in too far to catch a ball at which the batter swung -- strange

At the plate: blasted a line drive home run deep to left-center (I think it was a low 90's fastball); creamed a line drive to the third baseman who made a nice backhand play to snare it; struck out on a breaking ball away; pop fly single to right center on which it appeared center fielder lost the ball while Tim Tebow spectated

Tanner Scott:

This was the best I have seen him look; fastball was 97 - 98; threw more breaking balls (most down/in to righties and down/away to lefties); only 2 hard hit balls; first pitch of the game was lined to center for the only hit off of him; the long ball to right center on which Stewart made the difficult catch; picked the only runner off of 1B; struck out 5 and walked none

Stefan Crichton:

Was absolutely clobbered; the only out that he got was a fairly well hit ball to center that went for a sac fly; the only ball not hit well was an rbi grounder through the 1B/2B hole; saw 93 on the gun and line drives all over the field

Tim Tebow:

It's obvious he hasn't played in the field in years; Scott made him look bad; struck out twice in the game but hit a deep line drive double off Crichton to left-center but Crichton was throwing batting practice

Great work. Much appreciated. Bet Crichton wishes he would have just set the last 2 games out. There goes his stat line. Maybe just a dead arm after a long season.

Good to hear about Scott. I think he's going to get a good look in ST. What a weapon he could be.

Observations:

DJ Stewart:

Austin Wynns:

Tanner Scott:

Stefan Crichton:

Tim Tebow:

Thanks for the amazing write up, as usual. Wish I could have been in Arizona this year.

I agree. How can anyone not be happy about what he's done since being promoted from Delmarva?

I'm not going to sit here and be a Stewart apologist, but ok I will. He signed late last year. Had a long baseball season because of FSU being good. Didn't work out for an extended period because he was negotiating a contract. That's his agents MO, and it's smart for the player.

This year he was in really good shape. Remember like what Eddie Lacy said "Not everyone is built like Adrian Peterson." He's a short stocky guy, but I don't think he's got a lot of body fat and he's got some wheels. I think a lot of people want to criticize him because he's built more like Kirby Puckett than Tim Tebow :hearts:. Just admit it.

I'd be willing to bet that he starts next year in Bowie. 1.5 seasons of pro ball to reach AA is nothing to be let down about. He'll be 23 for all of next baseball season. Hopefully that will be spread out over AA/AAA.

For me, it's got nothing to do with his size. Something just stands out to me as him not being up to the hype. It might just be me, but something seems...Off. He did improve going from Delmarva to Frederick with his average. Was it a good thing? Yeah. Imagine if he had been moved up and was still putting up Delmarva numbers in Frederick. I could see him starting the year off in Bowie, but I'd rather he get his cuts in Frederick, unless he would be really holding someone back. If he does good in Frederick, move him up and give him some confidence. Remember last year when half of Bowie got shifted to Norfolk and there were a lot of moves in the first month/month and a half? I could see something like happening again.

Great work. Much appreciated. Bet Crichton wishes he would have just set the last 2 games out. There goes his stat line. Maybe just a dead arm after a long season.

Good to hear about Scott. I think he's going to get a good look in ST. What a weapon he could be.

Could be the issue with Crichton. He has been hit the past few games and it has been a long year.

With Scott, he needs the control to get better. This was an amazing game for him, after a few bad performances. Is it "turning the corner," or is it "one of those games?" I agree that he will get a long look in Spring Training. I'm interested to see where he ends up and how he does next season.

Peoria is playing right now and the only starter for the Birds is DJ Stewart as DH. I'll try to get the game stats up once it ends, but it might be a bit later due to some personal stuff.

Archived