2016 Arizona Fall League - Bird Watching

Legend_Of_Joey

Stefan Crichton - 7 games, 8 IP, 1 save, 8 hits, 1 unearned run, 6 k's, 0 walks, 0.00 era in the AFL.

23rd round pick in 2013. Spent 2016 in Bowie. Is a former starter who has good control, who pounds the strike zone. Has a decent fastball and a good off speed/breaking pitch.

Wxpect him in Bowie to start off but don't be surprised to see him in Norfolk and possibly Baltimore by mid-season.

I like the sound of this

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My observations:

Tim Tebow:

Hits out of an exaggerated crouch Weak ground ball to right of 2nd base that skids to outfield for a single; weak ground ball to short, barely avoids double play at 1st; Wynns throws him out pretty easily on attempted steal of 2nd

Greg Bird: 4 at bats -- all pulled balls; 3 sharply lined to right; one caught; one topped to 1b; looked good

Tyler O'Neill -- good looking hitter

DJ Stewart:

Hits out of a crouch -- apparently less severe than original stance This is the second time time I've seen him; DH; have yet to see him field a ball; seems reasonably patient at the plate until he gets to 2 strikes; seemed susceptible to low/away breaking ball; had 1 hit in 5 at bats topped grounder to 2b; struck out on 3 and 2 low and away breaking ball; hump back line drive single to left; chopped grounder to 2b; broken bat popup to ss -- looks to have average speed -- 1st to 3rd on a single to right/center; so far, eh!

Austin Wynns:

All throws on attempted steals were accurate and on a low line to base; caught only 1 of 4, including a steal of 3rd with Yacabonis on the mound; also reached too far for a catchers interference; had 2 hits; sharply hit grounder to right of 3b who made a diving stop but threw wide to 1b; sharp single in hole to left; after swing and miss on a 2-0 pitch, walked on 3-1; struck out swinging wildly on a pitch way up and in

Adrian Marin: Played 3b; slow to react on a sharply hit ball that got by him to his left for a single; no hits, but a couple of sharply hit balls to center

Jimmy Yacabonis:

2nd time that I've seen him; not as sharp; 2 hits, 3 hard hit balls (including the one past Marin); made a nice play to field a comebacker and throw runner out at home; fastball at 94/95; breaking ball @ 80; too many belt high; has decent stuff

Stefan Crichton:

1st time that I've seen him; fastball at 93/97; most pitches down; looked good

So what people are saying is:

Tanner Scott is good but inconsistent

DJ Stewart is going to a 17 year MiLB veteran, with 17 MLB games to his name.

Austin Wyns is a good bat, but meh with the glove

Stephon Crichton is gonna be all that and a bag of chips

Flip the opinion on Wynns. He is a great defensive catcher, who has an ok bat. He is almost the polar opposite of Sisco.

Scott is like Rick Vaughn.

Crichton could be a hidden gem pitcher.

Stewart will be the new Lew Ford.

Marin and Yacabonis are...There. Yacabonis is a good pitcher and they are grooming Marin for a Paul Janish type role.

So what people are saying is:

Tanner Scott is good but inconsistent

DJ Stewart is going to a 17 year MiLB veteran, with 17 MLB games to his name.

Austin Wyns is a good bat, but meh with the glove

Stephon Crichton is gonna be all that and a bag of chips

That's probably not the way I'd describe Scott. His ERA in the fall league is 6.23. That follows his 5.63 ERA at Bowie and his 4.47 at Frederick. He has been consistent!

Maybe, but most don't get picked in the first round, and not as an OF'er with questionable power

Maybe the power wasn't questionable, but this was the first quick example I thought of....I am sure their are more. And I not saying the players are slightly comparable, just the first, first rounder with a questionable physique that came to mind.

The Milwaukee Brewers drafted Fielder in the first round, with the seventh overall selection, of the 2002 Major League Baseball draft. He signed with the Brewers, and began his professional career in minor league baseball with the Ogden Raptors of the Rookie-level Pioneer League.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Fielder

Maybe the power wasn't questionable, but this was the first quick example I thought of....I am sure their are more. And I not saying the players are slightly comparable, just the first, first rounder with a questionable physique that came to mind.

The Milwaukee Brewers drafted Fielder in the first round, with the seventh overall selection, of the 2002 Major League Baseball draft. He signed with the Brewers, and began his professional career in minor league baseball with the Ogden Raptors of the Rookie-level Pioneer League.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Fielder

Not an outfielder and no one questioned his power.

Archived