Update: O's sign Trumbo to 3yr/$37 mil deal

Dark Helmet

1 hour ago, Sanfran327 said:

The better question is, why didn't Trumbo jump on said four-year contract? I'll tell you why. As much as Duq learned his lesson from Cruz, Trumbo learned a lesson from CD last year. When you know there's really only one team in the race, holding out makes that team bid against themselves. Trumbo will be in Baltimore for the next few years in all likelihood, but he'll hold out for a few more bucks because he can. He knows that OPACY is where his bread gets buttered, and that this park was a HUGE factor for his career year (and maybe some lineup protection, if you buy into that sort of thing), so he'll want to keep socking dingers for as long as he can. 

My prediction is that he ends up signing here for about 4/72-76. 

If Trumbo gets $72 million, Duquette should be fired immediately. 

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

If Trumbo gets anything more than the rumored 4 years 52M - which in and of itself is ridiculous - DD should be fired immediately.

That seems over-the-top to me.    You don't fire a GM who has been to the playoffs three times in five years because you disagree with one signing.    

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don't think the Orioles really "bid against themselves" in the Davis situation.    The final deal had about the same economic value as the original deal, but with more deferred money so that the total looks a little higher.    Basically, they let Scott Boras save face.   I don't think Trumbo stands to gain much by waiting the Orioles out.   

I think the O's probably expected Trumbo's market to be a four-year deal.    At his age, it wasn't unreasonable to think that.   

Also, I'm pretty sure that the Tigers were very much in on Davis.  IIRC, the owner really wanted him and the GM finally persuaded him that they should go in a different direction.  I think Davis signed after Detroit bowed out.

Similarly, I think the Rockies have been very much in on Trumbo.  Perhaps the Rangers, as well.  Toronto is even possible.  I don't think that it is fair to say that the Orioles are bidding against themselves on Trumbo.

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

Also, I'm pretty sure that the Tigers were very much in on Davis.  IIRC, the owner really wanted him and the GM finally persuaded him that they should go in a different direction.  I think Davis signed after Detroit bowed out.

Similarly, I think the Rockies have been very much in on Trumbo.  Perhaps the Rangers, as well.  Toronto is even possible.  I don't think that it is fair to say that the Orioles are bidding against themselves on Trumbo.

But it's a lot more fun to just say the Orioles FO and DD are dumb and bid against themselves.  The Davis contract isn't that bad considering he deferred money and has become a GG level 1B.  

Like Trumbo or not, but it's still probably going to take 3+ years at 12mm per to sign him.  So right around the 4/52.  Any lower than that, and COL, TEX and maybe TOR get involved.  

I don't think Trumbo is a perfect fit but I don't want to lose him to TOR over 5 million dollars.  Then BOS would have added Sale, and EE.  TOR would have added Trumbo, and kept Joey Bats(likely), we would then be sifting through role player FA's or having to make a trade to fill our holes.  It'll be 2014 all over again.  

I don't want to lose Brach because we lost Trumbo.  I say give him the 4/52 and be done with it. 4/52 isn't going to cripple the franchise anymore than a 3/36 deal would.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

That seems over-the-top to me.    You don't fire a GM who has been to the playoffs three times in five years because you disagree with one signing.    

I'm biased because I absolutely hate watching Trumbo play baseball, and if we yoke ourselves to him for four more years, I will mutiny. There's never been an everyday player for the Orioles who I disliked more, and so the thought of overpaying to keep him around is sickening to me. 

He is at best a 2 WAR player. At best. He is mediocre at every single aspect of baseball except for hitting the ball over the fence. We have too many hitters like him already. Chris Davis at least gives you value outside of his home run power. 

I would not resign Trumbo for anything beyond one year. 

Archived