Update: O's sign Trumbo to 3yr/$37 mil deal

Dark Helmet

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

We already have a team full of DH's

We need some OF'ers who can run and catch. Not a single plus defender on the roster

and if we sign Trumbo look for DD to trade Mancini, then watch Mancini out WAR Trumbo for the life of Trumbo's contra

And at the signing of such a player, most will complain about his lack of power. I don't know what the solution is. I do think, with all the lack of defensive players on either side of AJ, its got to wear him down and is why the corner outfielders pinch the gaps. I like Trumbo and give him credit for not complaining out there in RF. He certainly looked uncomfortable and relieved every time he made a play.

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, El Gordo said:

All the metrics say Smith is better in LF . Why do you think he is better in RF?

Yes, you have proven me wrong with the metrics.  Good for you!  I am sorry I wasted your time by suggesting a way to retain Mancini's bat in the line-up and keeping Kim out of the OF.

20 minutes ago, ELMERO said:

Yes, you have proven me wrong with the metrics.  Good for you!  I am sorry I wasted your time by suggesting a way to retain Mancini's bat in the line-up and keeping Kim out of the OF.

You can do both by platooning them at DH.

24 minutes ago, ELMERO said:

Even without Trumbo going forward it's going to be hard to keep Mancini on a 25 man roster.  He's never going to play 1B because of Davis.  So Mancini is basically a DH/PH vs LHP.  If we signed Trumbo or a DH, it wouldn't be the worst thing to have Mancini in AAA for one more year.  It's not like it's going to hurt his value, we pretty much know what we have there.  I like Mancini and I think there is value there, but I wouldn't be mad if we went with Trumbo or Alvarez at full time DH over him.  

4 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Saunders to the Phillies

As soon as Trumbo is the last free agent standing, the single guy no one in baseball wants to pay.... then it will be DD time! DD will  swoop in and give him the offer he can't get and wouldn't be offered by anyone else in baseball

I'm confused.

You complain about the OF defense, and then turn around and make a post that appears to be lamenting the Orioles not signing Michael Saunders to play OF for us.

So which is it?

2 hours ago, ELMERO said:

Well,(sigh), had you actually read the line-up proposals, I posted, you would've seen that's how I had it.

But you had Smith in RF. Sign Pagan or trade for Granderson and you platoon Smith and Joey in LF where both are better,

18 hours ago, El Gordo said:

But you had Smith in RF. Sign Pagan or trade for Granderson and you platoon Smith and Joey in LF where both are better,

Look, Angel Pagan has not played RF since 2010, (33 games), 9 games in 2009 and 1 game in 2008, (true, according to his metrics, he had a perfect fielding pct. in those years.)  So, you want to gamble that a 35, soon to be 36 year old guy can suddenly become our everyday RFer?  As for Granderson, they love him in N.Y., he's their lead-off hitter.  Do you seriously believe a late inning RH relief pitcher, (Brach), and a minor leaguer would be enough to pry him away?

3 minutes ago, ELMERO said:

Look, Angel Pagan has not played RF since 2010, (33 games), 9 games in 2009 and 1 game in 2008, (true, according to his metrics, he had a perfect fielding pct. in those years.)  So, you want to gamble that a 35, soon to be 36 year old guy can suddenly become our everyday RFer?  As for Granderson, they love him in N.Y., he's their lead-off hitter.  Do you seriously believe a late inning RH relief pitcher, (Brach), and a minor leaguer would be enough to pry him away?

Absolutely.  No minor-leaguer needed.  In fact, I would expect the Mets to kick in some cash.

2 minutes ago, ELMERO said:

I think the Granderson for Brach rumor earlier this offseason has some legs.  They need to shave payroll and they have two 8 figure RFers.  I'm sure they'd like to move Bruce, but are there any takers?

5 minutes ago, ELMERO said:

That's 15 Million we have to pay though, and I'd rather have a switch hitting Pagan for 2/16 who a true lead off hitter like Brain Roberts was back in the day. 

6 minutes ago, ELMERO said:

Pagan was a CF he should be fine in RF. Brach was an AS relief pitcher and could become a closer. Mets need bullpen help and Granderson while popular is expenive. They need to move one of Granderson or Bruce. No one seems to want Bruce so they will try and get as much as they can for one year of Granderson. We would have to add something to Brach or eat the whole 15 M to get him but he would be a spark plug to our offense,

4 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Pagan was a CF he should be fine in RF. Brach was an AS relief pitcher and could become a closer. Mets need bullpen help and Granderson while popular is expenive. They need to move one of Granderson or Bruce. No one seems to want Bruce so they will try and get as much as they can for one year of Granderson. We would have to add something to Brach or eat the whole 15 M to get him but he would be a spark plug to our offense,

Why?

I would want Pagan over Granderson just because I want to keep Brach, but Granderson is the better fit. 

As for the plausibility of a Brach for Grandy trade, I think it comes down entirely to the Mets' actual NEED to move payroll. With Familia likely to serve a suspension and the bullpen a bit light after he and Reed anyway, there's certainly a need for bullpen help. Brach helps provide that while also helping to alleviate some payroll so that they can pursue some of the relief options on the market. The issue is that right now, Granderson figures to be their imperfect solution in CF. Should be play CF at this point in his career? No, but I don't see them going with Lagares as a full-time CF and Granderson is the best bet in that position. If they move Bruce, they put Michael Conforto in RF and that solves the OF overload (despite the weak D in CF). If they move Granderson, they have to go with Lagares in CF which still offers the question of what to do with Conforto or put him in CF which is an even less perfect option than Granderson. 

In terms of value, Brach for Granderson seems about right to me, but the motivation to move him by the Mets (even if they cannot move Bruce) is where the question resides. 

Archived