Orioles told Bautista's reps...Orioles fans don't like him

Dark Helmet

1 hour ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Well yeah - which means if he puts up a 5-win season he pretty much needs a Triple Crown.  Which I highly suspect won't happen.

Nelson Cruz almost put up a 5-win season last year, playing mostly DH. He's the same age as Bautista.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's what you guys don't get about Ortiz. The dude destroyed the Yankees in a way that I don't think any player in baseball history ever did. More than anyone else, he took out the Yankees in that 2004 ALCS. You think just any old personality can do that? You think a nice guy does that? You have to be super-competitive to come through the way he did, over and over again, in the clutch. That you guys don't appreciate that honestly befuddles me.

And as much as I hate to say it, I suspect there's a cultural issue here as well. Bonds, Bautista, Belle, Ortiz...all of them not white. In a sport where more than half the players are white, I find that interesting. You guys will like minority players if they smile and are friendly. But would you hold white players to the same standard? Did you all hate Pete Rose before the scandals in the late 1980s? Did you all hate Paul O'Neill for the same reasons? Or did you just describe them as "intense" and "competitive"? 

Last thing I'll say and then I'll shut up: I happen to know that when SABR published a new book on The Negro Leagues in the late 1990s, Albert Belle personally paid to have a copy of it shipped to every living Negro Leaguer. Sure, easy to do at his salary, but a sincerely thoughtful gesture all the same, and one that he insisted receive no press or media attention. 

Alright I'm done. You guys can go back to preferring Mark Trumbo over Jose Bautista, and wondering why Adam Jones talks about baseball as a "white man's game"...

7 minutes ago, crawjo said:

Here's what you guys don't get about Ortiz. The dude destroyed the Yankees in a way that I don't think any player in baseball history ever did. More than anyone else, he took out the Yankees in that 2004 ALCS. You think just any old personality can do that? You think a nice guy does that? You have to be super-competitive to come through the way he did, over and over again, in the clutch. That you guys don't appreciate that honestly befuddles me.

And as much as I hate to say it, I suspect there's a cultural issue here as well. Bonds, Bautista, Belle, Ortiz...all of them not white. In a sport where more than half the players are white, I find that interesting. You guys will like minority players if they smile and are friendly. But would you hold white players to the same standard? Did you all hate Pete Rose before the scandals in the late 1980s? Did you all hate Paul O'Neill for the same reasons? Or did you just describe them as "intense" and "competitive"? 

Last thing I'll say and then I'll shut up: I happen to know that when SABR published a new book on The Negro Leagues in the late 1990s, Albert Belle personally paid to have a copy of it shipped to every living Negro Leaguer. Sure, easy to do at his salary, but a sincerely thoughtful gesture all the same, and one that he insisted receive no press or media attention. 

Alright I'm done. You guys can go back to preferring Mark Trumbo over Jose Bautista, and wondering why Adam Jones talks about baseball as a "white man's game"...

I wanted Rajai Jones. I liked Nelson Cruz, Frank Robinson is my favorite Oriole. Eddie Murray was my second favorite. You are wrong about me. I just hate Ortiz and Bautista. 

54 minutes ago, crawjo said:

So I'm a racist because I don't like David Cruz? What an absolute asinine statement.

35 minutes ago, crawjo said:

I always hated Pete Rose.    Like weams, my two favorites players were Frank and Eddie, neither of whom are exactly warm and fuzzy.   

I acknowledge David Ortiz as a great player and one of the greatest clutch hitters I've ever seen.  It doesn't mean I have to like him, when he acts like a petulant child.    

I'm glad Albert Belle has done done good deeds in his life.    I don't think I'm going out on a limb to say he was one of the most disliked players of his era and had many run-ins with fans, the media and others that were despicable.   

I really dislike Bautista, but no more than I disliked Brett Lawrie when he was a Blue Jay.    

53 minutes ago, crawjo said:

fision.gif

56 minutes ago, crawjo said:

This post is all kinds of off-base. 

#1: Ortiz certainly hit well against the Yankees. So what? Is anyone here saying that he wasn't a great hitter? I think most of the focus has been on the fact that he often acted like a giant crybaby, which he did.

#2: When has anyone given even the slightest indication in this thread that race has anything to do with liking or disliking specific players? Why are you bringing that up out of the blue?

#3: Are a lot of people here clamoring for Trumbo over Bautista? I think there's a pretty strong sentiment (though not unanimous, of course) that we don't want the O's to re-sign Trumbo, either. 

Archived