Orioles told Bautista's reps...Orioles fans don't like him

Dark Helmet

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

They would still hate Duquette for giving up a draft pick to sign him while there are other options on the table.

Would any of those other options put up a 140 OPS+? Because Bautista is certainly capable of that. He did it in 2015. 

24 minutes ago, crawjo said:

Would any of those other options put up a 140 OPS+? Because Bautista is certainly capable of that. He did it in 2015. 

I really don't care. My favorite moment of 2016 was Odor punching him in the face. I hope someone else punches him in the face in 2017, and I hope he's not wearing orange and black when it happens (unless he's a Giant).

9 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

I must admit, seeing Joey Bats being left out in the cold doesn't hurt my feelings...at all. I wonder how disrespected he's feeling right now? Maybe disrespecting teams on a consistent basis is catching up to him. Karma is...well you know.

someone really needs to explain this fantasy to me and how it works in real life. Aside from the $, and the draft pick, and the guy being a class A bonehead, and old, and injury prone, what exactly is the case for him?

The BlueJays will re-sign him. they are the ONLY team that has any real desire for him.

He is NOT what we need. End of discussion.

15 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

I must admit, seeing Joey Bats being left out in the cold doesn't hurt my feelings...at all. I wonder how disrespected he's feeling right now? Maybe disrespecting teams on a consistent basis is catching up to him. Karma is...well you know.

Toronto got incredibly good deals on Bautista and Encarnacion.  They paid Bautista $79 mm over the last six years, and by fangraphs' reckoning he's been worth about $204 mm in that window (he could have been a free agent after the first of those six years).   They paid Encarnacion $43 mm in those six years (again, he could have been a free agent after the first of those) and he's been worth $156 mm in that time.   Combined, that's $360 mm in value for $122 mm in cost.   

It's interesting to see the Blue Jays taking their winnings on these two players and not doubling down.    That's probably the smart play, but it'll probably be a long time before they get excess value like that again from veteran players.     

Archived