Bucholz to the Phillies

Aristotelian

Not directly Orioles related, but my question whether the Bucholz deal offers us hope that another team would see a similar opportunity in Ubaldo or Gallardo. I must admit, I am surprised a team like the Phillies was interested in Bucholz, even if they may not have given up much.

http://m.redsox.mlb.com/news/article/211925232/right-hander-clay-buchholz-traded-to-phillies/

Not surprised Boston moved him with all those starters, but I am kind of surprised it was to Philly.  Doesn't really seem like a move a rebuilding team makes, but I guess someone has to pitch for them.

Edit: Eh, kind of makes sense after reading the article.  I'd think they'd want to hold on to their prospects, but maybe Tobias is blocked by another prospect in their system or something.  Probably not a bad move, as I could see Buchholz having a good season.

3 hours ago, esmd said:

If Boston gets EE, we're pretty much playing for a WC and praying that we get hot in October.  That's IF we win a WC spot, which is certainly no guarantee.

I think this is Boston's plan as well.  No market for EE so why not jump in and take him.  They can always sort out the payroll and AB's.  Heck they have 100's of millions wasted in Rusney Castillo and Panda.  You could probably throw Hanley into that category as well.  

13 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think this is Boston's plan as well.  No market for EE so why not jump in and take him.  They can always sort out the payroll and AB's.  Heck they have 100's of millions wasted in Rusney Castillo and Panda.  You could probably throw Hanley into that category as well.  

It is my understanding that they are trying to get under the 189 for this season.

4 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

We had 3 starters with similar potential that we'd like to move?

How come Dan didn't send one to the Phillies?

Love to know if he had even discussed it with the Phillies

Exactly my question...but looking at the numbers it appears Bucholz is a little better and costs a little less than Ubaldo. I can see why the Phils might have gone for Bucholz instead. Miley may have been comparable but the O's probably want to hold onto him. Still makes me hopeful that another team may be interested. 

10 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Exactly my question...but looking at the numbers it appears Bucholz is a little better and costs a little less than Ubaldo. I can see why the Phils might have gone for Bucholz instead. Miley may have been comparable but the O's probably want to hold onto him. Still makes me hopeful that another team may be interested. 

Did Boston pay any of Bucholz's 2017 salary?

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Nothing about that in the article. Appears to be a straight salary dump for a prospect with the Phillies absorbing the money. 

I have trouble buying that with, Andy in charge at Philly.

With that said, even with Bucholz, according to spotrac, they are at 83 million, with 24 million being dead money.

Archived