O's like their options for No. 4 draft pick

"Baseball is not a draft where you draft need. It's not the NFL," Orioles president Andy MacPhail said recently. "I just want them to get the guy that they think will be the most productive big league player."

and later in the article...

"My history has been to take a bat if there is one there that we really like," said Jordan, who has selected a position player with the Orioles' top pick in all three of his drafts. "I think you can get pitching later in the draft, but there are a lot of pitchers I like as well. We have some work to do, but we're going to have a really good option. I don't know exactly which name it's going to be, but I'll be excited when we pull the name."

Music to my ears.

So, who does everyone figure the six names to be?

I'm guessing it's T. Beckham, Alvarez, Matusz, Smoak, G. Beckham and Hosmer.

I concur. Although I would order them slightly different. It has already been reported Joe Jordan has personally been scouting Gordan Beckham so I believe he is one of the six players.

Not so sure about G. Beckham. Maybe. I wonder if Yonder Alonso can sneak up.

Big no on Alonso -- not a top 5 pick based on his questionable defense.

My guess would be T-Bex/Alvarez/Matusz/Posey/Hosmer/Smoak (though it probably is G-Bex over Posey, frustratingly...).

Big no on Alonso -- not a top 5 pick based on his questionable defense.

My guess would be T-Bex/Alvarez/Matusz/Posey/Hosmer/Smoak (though it probably is G-Bex over Posey, frustratingly...).

Whoops, I forgot about Posey.:drek: Honestly, I think Posey would probably be in there instead of Hosmer.

Archived