Regret

Camden_yardbird

7 hours ago, esmd said:

Wow, Brandon Fahey.  He was  Ryan Flaherty before there was a Ryan Flaherty, lol...I've blacked out all memories of the guy in the middle of that pic as an Oriole....talk about my least favorite Oriole ever...

I honestly didn't know who it was. I thought it was the batboy. :P

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, weams said:

So they would have come in ninth in the bidding for Miler's services?

The time to extend Miller was after the traded for him. Not saying it was possible but you'd like the team make an effort due to the resources traded away to get hm.

with that said O'Day has been healthy and effective during his tenure here. Hopefully last year was a hiccup and he returns to his former self.

49 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

The time to extend Miller was after the traded for him. Not saying it was possible but you'd like the team make an effort due to the resources traded away to get hm.

with that said O'Day has been healthy and effective during his tenure here. Hopefully last year was a hiccup and he returns to his former self.

Oh? That happens? Yeah, he was a free agent to be. Who got more and more wonderful as the year went on and played himself into the mega contract after never having been healthy before. And I loved having him. He should have pitched in the World Series.

51 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Also, the trade expense never enters in to an extension. They are separate transactions. Always. That's why they don't do the trade extension windows anymore. Different game than it once was.

8 minutes ago, weams said:

Also, the trade expense never enters in to an extension. They are separate transactions. Always. That's why they don't do the trade extension windows anymore. Different game than it once was.

Agreed but it has to be weighed in what resources you gave up to get him. Obviously the resource is gone and not available the following year.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

Agreed but it has to be weighed in what resources you gave up to get him. Obviously the resource is gone and not available the following year.

No really. You are renting a guy. That's the deal. You want to win that World Series. 

Just now, weams said:

No really. You are renting a guy. That's the deal. You want to win that World Series. 

See that is where we will always disagree. Over the last five or six years the Os have been competitive. Which is much better that the previous 10-15. 

I have never felt like they had the winner that was 1 player short of a World Series.

The weak farm system has made most of the additions half hearted. Miller was one of the exceptions.

look I'm not saying it's done that way. But how about a little creativity once in a while.

Being aggressive and getting our own good players under extensions is another example of what I'm referring too.

Tillman should have been extended last year. Manny and Britton now, 

i have concerns about Manny walking and having nothing to show for it but a crappy comp pick.

Our next super star position player is not currently in the system. It took from Ripken to Machado for the Orioles scouting people to get one right.

how about a little ingenuity for a change!

i don't think Duquette has the best interest of the Orioles long term it heart. It's fine to win now if possible ...but not at all costs.

45 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

See that is where we will always disagree. Over the last five or six years the Os have been competitive. Which is much better that the previous 10-15. 

I have never felt like they had the winner that was 1 player short of a World Series.

I didn't like the Miller trade, because I thought the long term loss of EdRod wasn't worth the short-term addition of Miller, especially since we already had a very good bullpen.    But that team won 96 games, second most in MLB.    It absolutely was a team that objectively had a decent shot to win the World Series.    They ran into a red-hot team that had every break go its way -- that's baseball.    But it's not like that was a team who barely scraped its way into the playoffs.    

9 hours ago, Bradysburns said:

How is that possible? How are all of these guys suddenly these hot MLB prospects? It seems like the moment they leave Baltimore, they're all lining up for Cy Young awards before throwing a pitch for their new team. Maybe it's the Arrieta Effect. If we held Jake back that much, maybe our farm system is full of natural talent, but our coaches and trainers don't know what the heck they're doing. These ratings... I dunno. I think they tend to be pretty hit or miss. But that's just my observation - based on zero data.

Hader and Arrieta are very different cases.    There's nothing bad to be said about our development of Hader.   He was a 19th round pick who performed very well for us in the GCL and at Aberdeen just after being drafted at age 18 in 2012, and again at Delmarva in 2013 before we traded him.    He was a promising prospect, but a very long way from the majors (as evidenced by the fact that he's still in the minors after 3+ more seasons).    We traded him in a "win now" move, and he has continued to develop each year in the Houston and Milwaukee systems, as he did in ours.   One could question the wisdom of trading him, but there was nothing wrong with our development of him prior to the trade, and I wouldn't call his emergence as a top prospect "sudden."   He's gradually won over many doubters who thought his stuff and command might not translate over to being a major league starter, but there are still some doubters and we'll see what he becomes.    

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Hader and Arrieta are very different cases.    There's nothing bad to be said about our development of Hader.   He was a 19th round pick who performed very well for us in the GCL and at Aberdeen just after being drafted at age 18 in 2012, and again at Delmarva in 2013 before we traded him.    He was a promising prospect, but a very long way from the majors (as evidenced by the fact that he's still in the minors after 3+ more seasons).    We traded him in a "win now" move, and he has continued to develop each year in the Houston and Milwaukee systems, as he did in ours.   One could question the wisdom of trading him, but there was nothing wrong with our development of him prior to the trade, and I wouldn't call his emergence as a top prospect "sudden."   He's gradually won over many doubters who thought his stuff and command might not translate over to being a major league starter, but there are still some doubters and we'll see what he becomes.    

Well said.

Every transaction carries risk.  Every single one.  When we look back at them in hindsight, we will amazingly make the right call every time.  We should have signed this guy.  We should have never traded that guy.  We overpaid for this guy.  Funny how that works.

If a team's GM had a sports almanac from the future, they would make the right call on every transaction.  xD  In reality, though, it is highly unlikely that a team could regularly trade players that are worthless in return for players that will obviously become superstars.  Decisions have to be made based on a team's needs, areas of strength, the knowledge they possess at the time, and their best guesses about the future of the players involved.  Sometimes they guess right, other times not.

Archived