Roch on the team's weaknesses

Frobby

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

Trumbo has fallen off a cliff in the second half for his entire career. One of many reasons I didn't want to sign him. Get your 1.5 WAR before the all star game, cause Trumbo wont give much in the second half.

Overall, perhaps.  Entire?  No.  In 2015, for example, Trumbo was markedly better in the second half than the first.  He has trended better in the first half most years, but has "fallen off a cliff" in the second half only a couple of times - not every season.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Pretty sure we don't know one way or another.  How often do you hear a player petition for days off?

I think it;s pretty clear that Manny, CD, Schoop, and AJ, don't like to take the day off. These ate basically the guys who should occasionally. Hardy probably doesn't mind a blow now and then, and every other position is platooned.

1 minute ago, El Gordo said:

I think it;s pretty clear that Manny, CD, Schoop, and AJ, don't like to take the day off.

I'll give you AJ since the man is playing hurt so often.  The other three?  I don't think they would fight overly hard about the occasional day off, you know like every other player in MLB gets.

I think it's telling that only the O's have guys playing 162 recently.

I'm not quite sure how much off days really affect MLB position players.  They still get up and go to the ballpark.  They still get in their running and take BP.  They are still there in the dugout for the games.  It isn't like staying home from work.  I've got to tell you, I get just as worn out from BP and practice as I do from playing.  Probably more-so.  But then, I'm an old man.  xD  I'm not saying it doesn't help - I'm saying I just don't know.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll give you AJ since the man is playing hurt so often.  The other three?  I don't think they would fight overly hard about the occasional day off, you know like every other player in MLB gets.

I think it's telling that only the O's have guys playing 162 recently.

i doubt Manny likes to sit out and CD played hurt most of last season as well. You really think Schoop who loves to compete with Manny would like a day off.

6 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

i doubt Manny likes to sit out and CD played hurt most of last season as well. You really think Schoop who loves to compete with Manny would like a day off.

Right, the O's just happen to have four guys that want to play 162 and every other team combined have 0.

Or maybe you are right, and every team has a bunch of guys that want to play 162 but the other team's managers have enough sense to rest them occasionally anyway.

Either way I don't think it is a good thing that only the O's players are doing this.

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right, the O's just happen to have four guys that want to play 162 and every other team combined have 0.

Or maybe you are right, and every team has a bunch of guys that want to play 162 but the other team's managers have enough sense to rest them occasionally anyway.

Either way I don't think it is a good thing that only the O's players are doing this.

One look at the actual games played statistics would have prevented you from making this post.

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable.jsp#elem=[object+Object]&tab_level=child&click_text=Sortable+Player+hitting&game_type='R'&season=2016&season_type=ANY&league_code='MLB'&sectionType=sp&statType=hitting&page=1&ts=1485381906679&sortColumn=g&sortOrder='desc'&extended=0

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

And yet, Buck's Orioles teams are 117-86 in September and October, a 93-win pace.    They've been over .500 in September/October every year Buck's been here, except for 2013 when they were exactly .500.     Part of that success is Buck's mastery of using his expanded bullpen and bench that time of year, but it's kind of hard to say that Buck has hurt our late-season performance by the way he uses his players.    

Buck should never be questioned as to his use of players, just ask Britton:)

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

True enough.  I knew Machado was the only one that played 162 in 2015 and didn't recall hearing about anyone other than Schoop doing it in 2016.

I should have checked.

I think the overall point remains but I certainly didn't check the details like I should have.

Can't ask for anymore humility to be displayed than this. Well done!

Archived