Dan's not done. Wants to add pitcher & speedy outfielder

wildcard

I wouldn't be surprised if we see someone like Desmond Jennings on a minor league deal with an invite. He had a  big fall the last couple years, but he would seem to fit what DD is looking to acquire. As for pitching, if it's a start depth guy, my guess is Jorge De La Rosa. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It would be interesting if there was some public source of information about teams' defensive positioning.    I certainly have the impression that the O's have a lot of data about hitter tendencies and position their defense accordingly. 

Isn't Wayne Kirby responsible for the OF positioning?  He's such a lovable guy.  He's everybody's buddy.  IYO, is he really a good coach or more the like a team mascot and confidant?  We often here the announcers say he shades the guys more towards the alleys because anything down the lines is a HR or double, anyway.  Also, it seems we get an awful lot of guys picked-off first.  Is that on him?  I know he's not going anywhere, as long as the current regime is here, just sayin'.  Ya can't help but love the guy, as a person.  His clowning around with Jonesy is a big part of the entertainment factor for every game.

3 minutes ago, ELMERO said:

Isn't Wayne Kirby responsible for the OF positioning?  He's such a lovable guy.  He's everybody's buddy.  IYO, is he really a good coach or more the like a team mascot and confidant?  We often here the announcers say he shades the guys more towards the alleys because anything down the lines is a HR or double, anyway.  Also, it seems we get an awful lot of guys picked-off first.  Is that on him?  I know he's not going anywhere, as long as the current regime is here, just sayin'.  Ya can't help but love the guy, as a person.  His clowning around with Jonesy is a big part of the entertainment factor for every game.

He is considered to be a very good outfield coach. Especially with stiffs like Delmon and Cruz and Trumbo and Reimold that have been thrown out there for him. Manny is the one who on his own gets picked off a lot. And runs poorly. I suspect that Kirby has nothing to do with this. I know Stubbs got picked off, but he was there for speed only. And training was not part of that. 

3 minutes ago, ELMERO said:

Also, it seems we get an awful lot of guys picked-off first.  Is that on him?  

Actually, we don't get a lot of guys picked off first.   We were 3rd-lowest in the majors last year, with 6.   The league leaders had 20.   Of course, pickoffs are extra annoying for us, since you know we're not attempting to steal.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It would be interesting if there was some public source of information about teams' defensive positioning.    I certainly have the impression that the O's have a lot of data about hitter tendencies and position their defense accordingly. 

It is noticeable to fans when defensive positioning doesn't work.  Not so much when it does.

1 minute ago, Number5 said:

It is noticeable to fans when defensive positioning doesn't work.  Not so much when it does.

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Actually, we don't get a lot of guys picked off first.   We were 3rd-lowest in the majors last year, with 6.   The league leaders had 20.   Of course, pickoffs are extra annoying for us, since you know we're not attempting to steal.

Thanks, Frobby. That clears it up for me.  I didn't want to put the blame on Kirby, I love the guy.  He is the morale booster of the squad and adds a lot of fun to the game, which there should be more of.

It seems to me there are two options here. Option 1) A good fielding OBP type who could play RF full time and keep Trumbo out of the OF. That means two of Joey, Kim, or Mancini go..., somewhere. Or 2) We get a defense/PR type to play late ining defense for the RF (either Smith or Trumbo). In this case one of Joey or Mancini goes. Looks to me they want a MiL contracy type with a ST invite.

On Friday, January 27, 2017 at 9:47 AM, Redskins Rick said:

Not sure what people expect Dan to say.

If he says, the roster is what it is, and people will fight for some open spots in ST. They will poke at him and said he is clueless.

He comes out and says he isn't done yet, and people are not happy either.

There's not a lot of quality left out there that fits the Orioles needs. So if this team is set, Go O's. If the Orioles don't mind having a $13m mop up man, I'd like to see Jason Hammel taking Ubaldos starts in 2017.

On 1/27/2017 at 9:19 AM, jamalshw said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we see someone like Desmond Jennings on a minor league deal with an invite. He had a  big fall the last couple years, but he would seem to fit what DD is looking to acquire. As for pitching, if it's a start depth guy, my guess is Jorge De La Rosa. 

Sigh... And to think we could have had De La Rosa for the low low price of Kevin Gausman.

On 1/27/2017 at 1:36 PM, El Gordo said:

It seems to me there are two options here. Option 1) A good fielding OBP type who could play RF full time and keep Trumbo out of the OF. That means two of Joey, Kim, or Mancini go..., somewhere. Or 2) We get a defense/PR type to play late ining defense for the RF (either Smith or Trumbo). In this case one of Joey or Mancini goes. Looks to me they want a MiL contracy type with a ST invite.

Since Ricard is the only one good against LH, I doubt he's going anywhere.

also Kim is not going anywhere either

On 1/27/2017 at 10:07 AM, Frobby said:

You have to get on base to get picked off. And it usually happens when trying to steal and we don't try to steal.

Archived