Mark Reynolds Accepts Minor League Deal?

Rene88

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, weams said:

I think it is clear that Mark Trumbo told the Orioles he was signing a deal now. If not with the Orioles, with the next best thing. 

Carter and Pedro are bobos. They work. No swoosh. 

Pretty sure Mark told the fans that his preference was to play in Baltimore and he would have accepted less to play there.

Who exactly was he going to be signing this deal with?  Fuddruckers?

2 minutes ago, weams said:

Maybe he did accept less. Maybe that is what he told us. You and I sure don't know. Anyway. I get it. Bad deal, bad player, bad front office. I get it. 

I guess you don't get it.

Decent player, decent deal, front office with different objects than I have.

But they could have had him for less.  And less is better.  Wouldn't you have preferred Trumbo sign for 2/24 with an option?

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But they could have had him for less.  And less is better.  Wouldn't you have preferred Trumbo sign for 2/24 with an option?

Maybe its because last year Trumbo had more HR, RBI, better Avg, Slugging pct, and OPS than Carter.  He also struck out 36 less times.  Carter has led his league in strikeouts twice.  Trumbo has never led the league in strikeouts.   And with Chris Davis on the O's maybe the O's didn't want Davis and Carter in the same lineup.

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Maybe its because last year Trumbo had more HR, RBI, better Avg, Slugging pct, and OPS than Carter.  He also struck out 36 less times.  Carter has led his league in strikeouts twice.  Trumbo has never led the league in strikeouts.   And with Chris Davis on the O's maybe the O's didn't want Davis and Carter in the same lineup.

I agree with all this, though they were close in many categories, Carter had the higher OBP and it's  a bit surprising that the market for the two players appears to be so different.   (Edit -- I would expect Trumbo to make considerably more than Carter, though).

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You are entitled to your opinion, but I'm not sure how you can say this with any certainty.  There were plenty of reports about other teams being in on Trumbo.  Colorado, Texas, Toronto, etc.  It is for certain that Trumbo signed with the Orioles for less than the "experts" projected for him.  I'm not sure how the fact that there are some lesser players that can't play outfield still unsigned means anything.  Maybe you are right, but maybe not.  Maybe by waiting longer the Orioles would have gotten Trumbo for less, or maybe by waiting longer we would have lost him and we would be in an even worse pickle in the outfield and at DH than we are as things stand.  My preferred target was Saunders.  Once that was out the window, Trumbo was a good get, IMO.

Just now, Number5 said:

You are entitled to your opinion, but I'm not sure how you can say this with any certainty.  There were plenty of reports about other teams being in on Trumbo.  Colorado, Texas, Toronto, etc.  It is for certain that Trumbo signed with the Orioles for less than the "experts" projected for him.  I'm not sure how the fact that there are some lesser players that can't play outfield still unsigned means anything.  Maybe you are right, but maybe not.  Maybe by waiting longer the Orioles would have gotten Trumbo for less, or maybe by waiting longer we would have lost him and we would be in an even worse pickle in the outfield and at DH than we are as things stand.  My preferred target was Saunders.  Once that was out the window, Trumbo was a good get, IMO.

Trumbo flat out said that he would have accepted less to play for the Orioles than he did other teams.  So unless you have some information about a team bidding higher than the O's (Trombo alluded to the fact that he had no higher offers) it is obvious they could have signed him for less.  Just wait until his price dropped low enough for another team than matched it, you wouldn't even have to go lower than the other team.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree with all this, though they were close in many categories, Carter had the higher OBP and it's  a bit surprising that the market for the two players appears to be so different.   

Maybe not that surprising.  There are only so many DH spots in baseball.   Neither player is considered very good defensively.  However, Trumbo led he league in homers in his first year with O's  which made him more desirable to them.  Meanwhile Carter led the league in strikeouts of the budget oriented Brewers and they decide to go cheaper.  That is not a huge surprise.

Trumbo's agent over estimated the  market.  Ask of way too much and therefore Trumbo had to wait until mid January to get signed.  His agent almost blew it completely but came to his senses in just enough time that the O's had not moved on.   Probably a lot of that was that Peter Angelos liked what Trumbo did for his team last year.   The Brewer's owner, not so much on Carter.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Trumbo flat out said that he would have accepted less to play for the Orioles than he did other teams.  So unless you have some information about a team bidding higher than the O's (Trombo alluded to the fact that he had no higher offers) it is obvious they could have signed him for less.  Just wait until his price dropped low enough for another team than matched it, you wouldn't even have to go lower than the other team.

So, to make sure I understand what you are saying, the Orioles have access to what other teams are bidding?  And you actually believe that Trumbo was advising the Orioles how much he was being offered elsewhere and telling them to bid less?  Come on.  Frankly, neither the timing nor the amount of Trumbo's contract was poor, by any realistic measure.  Again, you are welcome to your opinion, but making such a statement as you have made, and then asking others to prove a negative is the definition of a straw man argument, as you know..

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Its easy to say now that the O's should have waited.   However the  Rangers still might add a first basement and the Rockies just signed Reynolds.  Either one could have scooped up Trumbo if his price continued to fall.

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree with all this, though they were close in many categories, Carter had the higher OBP and it's  a bit surprising that the market for the two players appears to be so different.   (Edit -- I would expect Trumbo to make considerably more than Carter, though).

If you take one team out of the equation would the market be that different?  There was little interest that I saw in Trumbo's services.  If the O's hadn't have signed him do you think another team would have by now?

I think that for the most part the rest of MLB have moved on from these types of players.

Just now, wildcard said:

Its easy to say now that the O's sure have waited.   However the  Rangers still might add a first basement and the Rockies just signed Reynolds.  Either one could have scooped up Trumbo if his price continued to fall.

And Trumbo's agent wouldn't have shopped their offers to the O's?  When Trumbo wanted to stay?

Archived