Mark Reynolds Accepts Minor League Deal?

Rene88

1 minute ago, Number5 said:

So, to make sure I understand what you are saying, the Orioles have access to what other teams are bidding?  And you actually believe that Trumbo was advising the Orioles how much he was being offered elsewhere and telling them to bid less?  Come on.  Frankly, neither the timing nor the amount of Trumbo's contract was poor, by any realistic measure.  Again, you are welcome to your opinion, but making such a statement as you have made, and then asking others to prove a negative is the definition of a straw man argument, as you know..

I think teams have, for the most part, a pretty good idea of what is going on.

And I most certainly think that Trumbo's agent would have shopped any offers back to the O's, given his client's wishes to stay.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

And Trumbo's agent wouldn't have shopped their offers to the O's?  When Trumbo wanted to stay?

Players always say the wanted to stay after they sign.  And if the go some where else they said how much they are glad to be there.  It doesn't mean too much.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Players always say the wanted to stay after they sign.  And if the go some where else they said how much they are glad to be there.  It doesn't mean too much.

I don't recall a player ever stating that they:

1- Would have taken less to stay.

2- Hadn't had much in the way of solid offers from other teams.

Trumbo's comments didn't seem like the same cliches.

But if you guys want to ignore the market and all the media reports and believe that the O's had to bid what they did or they would lose his services go right ahead.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I agree with this.    I do think Trumbo was well liked and respected in our clubhouse and was comfortable here, but the reason he signed with us is we offered him the best deal.   I'm fine with the deal -- I don't see it as either a steal or a debacle.    My biggest reservation about it is that it blocks Mancini, who intrigues me even though it's likely Trumbo would be better in 2017, and possibly in the future as well.    For that reason, plus the cost savings and draft pick, I'd probably have let Trumbo walk, but if we were going to get him back, I think the terms were reasonable.

Just now, Frobby said:

I agree with this.    I do think Trumbo was well liked and respected in our clubhouse and was comfortable here, but the reason he signed with us is we offered him the best deal.   I'm fine with the deal -- I don't see it as either a steal or a debacle.    My biggest reservation about it is that it blocks Mancini, who intrigues me even though it's likely Trumbo would be better in 2017, and possibly in the future as well.    For that reason, plus the cost savings and draft pick, I'd probably have let Trumbo walk, but if we were going to get him back, I think the terms were reasonable.

I agree.  Just I think something like 2/24 with an option was there for the taking.

I'd rather not have Trumbo on the books come 2019.

I think we'll have better context once we see where Napoli and/or Alvarez come in.  I read yesterday that the Rangers may be waiting to sign Napoli until after camp opens and they can put Tyson Ross on the DL, thereby opening a 40-man roster slot.  Napoli, Carter and Alvarez all may benefit when clubs get that tool in another couple weeks.

3 minutes ago, weams said:
Twitter_pic_normal.jpg Jayson Stark (@jaysonst)
New column: Why can't all those free agent sluggers find a job? Because GMs don't dig the long ball anymore! espn.com/mlb/story/_/id…

Decent enough piece once you get into the main body of it.

"Over the last couple of years," Stearns said, "the arbitration market has valued home runs, power hitting and counting stats [much higher than] the free-agent value of the same types of players."

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I was in complete agreement with what you are saying right up until the point when all of the other plus options to fill our open lineup spots were gone.  At the time we signed Trumbo, that looked to me to be the best option available to us.  Depending on both Mancini and Rickard to produce, and still being an additional right-handed hitting outfielder short, with little to no decent such players remaining on the market, was not really a great option at that time, IMO.  Trumbo was not my first choice entering the off-season, but at the time of his actual signing, yeah, I think he pretty much was the best option.

1 minute ago, Number5 said:

I was in complete agreement with what you are saying right up until the point when all of the other plus options to fill our open lineup spots were gone.  At the time we signed Trumbo, that looked to me to be the best option available to us.  Depending on both Mancini and Rickard to produce, and still being an additional right-handed hitting outfielder short, with little to no decent such players remaining on the market, was not really a great option at that time, IMO.  Trumbo was not my first choice entering the off-season, but at the time of his actual signing, yeah, I think he pretty much was the best option.

Carter is almost the identical player when it comes to offensive production.  While Trumbo is superior at first how often is Davis not going to be at first and the O's do have a major league ready option at AAA if Davis does miss significant time.

So basically you are looking at Trumbo's dubious value in the outfield as the main determining factor among the on the field stuff.

If you could get Carter for what Alvarez signed for last year that would seem to me to be at least as good an option.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Carter is almost the identical player when it comes to offensive production.  While Trumbo is superior at first how often is Davis not going to be at first and the O's do have a major league ready option at AAA if Davis does miss significant time.

So basically you are looking at Trumbo's dubious value in the outfield as the main determining factor among the on the field stuff.

If you could get Carter for what Alvarez signed for last year that would seem to me to be at least as good an option.

We disagree.  To me, Trumbo is clearly the superior player.  I prefer that the Orioles play superior players whenever possible.  Sure, you could sign whatever scraps are left over if you want, but, of course, competing would be out of the question.  At the time of Trumbo's signing, he was the best option available to us, IMO.  Certainly nothing you have said has persuaded me to think otherwise.  And, yes, the fact that he can play right field was a factor at the time of the signing.  You are welcome to believe that is not the case, if you wish.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think teams have, for the most part, a pretty good idea of what is going on.

And I most certainly think that Trumbo's agent would have shopped any offers back to the O's, given his client's wishes to stay.

And of course you are taking Trumbo's comments that he wanted to stay at face value.  Would he really have said, "I didnt really care if I stayed or not, I just wanted to get paid".  Why would you potentially insult the team who is giving you more money than you have ever made in your lifetime by saying something like that?  Believe it or not some of these guys have PR guys who actually coach them up on answers to questions.  Not all of them are morons on camera.  

7 minutes ago, terps19 said:

And of course you are taking Trumbo's comments that he wanted to stay at face value.  Would he really have said, "I didnt really care if I stayed or not, I just wanted to get paid".  Why would you potentially insult the team who is giving you more money than you have ever made in your lifetime by saying something like that?  Believe it or not some of these guys have PR guys who actually coach them up on answers to questions.  Not all of them are morons on camera.  

He didn't have to volunteer that he would have stayed for more money or that his market was tepid.

He could have just stayed with the standard cliches.

That lends an aura of authenticity to his statements, to me at least.

Plus the depressed market for one tool sluggers has been the main storyline of the offseason.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I have course don't agree that they are the same offensive of player.  Though some stats might allude to that. 

Archived