Tillman is Back

backwardsk

Tillman's last 9 GS through today - 41 ER in 39 IP, ERA 9.46
If it weren't for his very first start with 5 shutout innings, he would make this ignominious list led by Brian Matusz in 2011.

Worst ERA ever for a pitcher who made at least 10 starts in a season.

1. Brian Matusz (Bal, 2011): 10.69 ERA in 49 2/3 IP
2. Roy Halladay (Tor, 2000): 10.64 ERA in 67 2/3 IP
3. Micah Bowie (Atl/ChC, 1999): 10.24 ERA in 51 IP
4. Aaron Myette (Tex, 2002): 10.06 ERA in 48 1/3 IP
5. Steve Blass (Pit, 1973): 9.85 ERA in 88 2/3 IP
6. Sean Bergmann (Min, 2000): 9.66 ERA in 68 IP
7. Andy Larkin (Fla, 1998): 9.64 ERA in 74 2/3 IP
8. Edgar Gonzalez (Ari, 2004): 9.32 ERA in 46 1/3 IP
9. Todd Van Poppel (Oak/Det, 1996): 9.06 ERA in 99 1/3 IP
10. Bryan Rekar (Col, 1996): 8.95 ERA in 58 1/3 IP

Note this list is from 2011, I don't know if there are any more recent entries
Source - http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2011/09/25/brian-matusz-breaks-roy-halladays-major-league-record/

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

I thought he looked a bit better in spite of the score.:noidea:

He at least had some flashes of good pitching.    Just saw him interviewed and he's still very unhappy with himself, but he seemed less resigned than after his last start.    

1 minute ago, panick said:

Any chance he gets his ERA below 5.0 by the end of the season?

o

Yes, there is a chance.

But being that the season is already almost half over, it would probably take a prime Tillman for the majority of his remaining starts to do so.

o

3 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Yes, there is a chance.

But being that the season is already almost half over, it would probably take a prime Tillman for the majority of his remaining starts to do so.

o

One of the mathematical facts is that when a pitcher is pitching well, he throws more innings per start and thus the bad season starts are outweighed.   

Tillman has allowed 42 ER in 44 IP.    In theory, if his season turned around tomorrow, maybe he'd average 6 IP/start the rest of the way over 19 starts, and throw another 114 innings.     He'd need to throw to a 3.55 ERA in those innings to get his overall ERA under 5.00.     

32 minutes ago, panick said:

Any chance he gets his ERA below 5.0 by the end of the season?

29 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Yes, there is a chance.

o

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

One of the mathematical facts is that when a pitcher is pitching well, he throws more innings per start and thus the bad season starts are outweighed.   

Tillman has allowed 42 ER in 44 IP. In theory, if his season turned around tomorrow, maybe he'd average 6 IP/start the rest of the way over 19 starts, and throw another 114 innings. He'd need to throw to a 3.55 ERA in those innings to get his overall ERA under 5.00.     

o

And that would be a prime Tillman, from 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2016.

o

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Tillman has allowed 42 ER in 44 IP.    In theory, if his season turned around tomorrow, maybe he'd average 6 IP/start the rest of the way over 19 starts, and throw another 114 innings.     He'd need to throw to a 3.55 ERA in those innings to get his overall ERA under 5.00.     

If he does that and Bundy continues to do well, the Orioles might have a chance in the weak AL East. But it may be wishful thinking.

6 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

If he does that and Bundy continues to do well, the Orioles might have a chance in the weak AL East. But it may be wishful thinking.

I'm not holding my breath.    Frankly, if he could pitch to a sub-5.00 ERA starting now I'd be pretty happy.

1 minute ago, MDtransplant757 said:

He's cooked. Fortunately, we won't keep him in when he hits the market. 

I think he's as likely to end up back with the O's as with another team.

He's going to be just the type of bargain Dan likes, the only drawback being he won't cost a draft pick.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I think he's as likely to end up back with the O's as with another team.

He's going to be just the type of bargain Dan likes, the only drawback being he won't cost a draft pick.

I wouldn't mind him in Norfolk. He'd bother me on the big league club, however. 

Archived