Orioles Sign Craig Gentry (Outrighted to AAA 5/16)

Rene88

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think you have to look at his numbers in the last two seasons before you start looking at his career line.

It's been a pretty sharp dropoff.

It has been reported that much of the dropoff was due to injury. He has to prove that he's healthy first, and then we can see if there's a dropoff. He's had a couple of concussions, and hasn't performed well since the second one, so there's a chance he's permanently damaged. At least they aren't paying him Brian Roberts money to find out.

Craig Gentry injury history

In addition to these injuries Gentry has had three concussions prior to 2011  playing baseball.  That five total.

Nov 01, 2010

Missed the last 32 regular season and all 16 playoff games (wrist injury)

Aug 11, 2011 Missed 13 games (concussion

Jun 26, 2012 Missed 2 games (sore right ankle).
Jul 18, 2013

Missed 20 games (fractured left hand).

Apr 12, 2014 Missed 9 games (back injury).
Aug 22, 2014

Missed 22 games (broken right hand).

Sep 30, 2014 Missed the last 18 regular season and first playoff games (concussion).
Jul 30, 2016 Missed 83 games (back injury).

52 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't hate Gentry.  I just wonder whether he can stay healthy.

I actually think he is a good signing to a minor league contract.  I am glad he is  in camp.

Exactly.  I have nothing against him, I like the signing.  I'm just not sure he can stay healthy and hit at an acceptable level.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

The point is, is that neither Gentry or Rickard are power guys, so it's natural to assume that they would need a good OBP component to have a decent OPS.   Elementary, my dear Watson.

Yes, I agree with this.    If either Gentry or Rickard could put up a .350ish OBP they'd be quite useful and their OPS would be respectable.    I think Rickard has more power than Gentry, but Gentry is the better defender and baserunner.  Which guy can get on base more?    Rickard had a .324 OBP last year and you'd hope he can improve it in his 2nd year.    Gentry has a .335 career mark, but has been much lower in 2014-16.    

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes, I agree with this.    If either Gentry or Rickard could put up a .350ish OBP they'd be quite useful and their OPS would be respectable.    I think Rickard has more power than Gentry, but Gentry is the better defender and baserunner.  Which guy can get on base more?    Rickard had a .324 OBP last year and you'd hope he can improve it in his 2nd year.    Gentry has a .335 career mark, but has been much lower in 2014-16.    

What number equals a respectable OPS?

I've only skimmed most of today's post in this thread. You guys seem to be forgetting that we're only going to need to carry 11 pitchers for most of April. Flaherty, Gentry, Joey, they're all in the mix. Plus the un-DL-able Rule 5 pick. I can see Mancini ripping up IL league pitching simply because he has an option. He's a piece we can't lose for nothing.

Should be trade bait if we could get something for him.

Archived