Adam "Real American Hero" Jones

ChuckS

100 feet. 97.3% Route Efficiency.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/219956510/adam-jones-robs-manny-machado-of-home-run/?topicid=209143850

No one who was in the crowd of 43,002 or watching on MLB Network is going to forget this play any time soon. It was a catch that put the Classic in World Baseball Classic, a signature moment with the kind of star power and imagery that transcends. Every person in the shot told the story. It was perfect. There was no fan interference. Just pure athleticism by a hometown giant in front of a patriotic, flag-waving, America-loving crowd in San Diego.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ba9oriole said:

The World Baseball Classic doesn't really matter, but why is Manny Machado playing for the Dominican team? He was born in the United States and is a U.S. Citizen. I think it's shameful all these players who reaped the benefits of being born United States and then show loyalty to a country they obviously don't like enough to live in.

Shameful? Really? Pssst, hey -- it's a game. That's like finding it shameful if Tina Yothers joined the CBS team on Battle Of The Network Stars.

1 hour ago, weams said:

It would be nice if he came through for us in the 2017 postseason the way he has in the WBC.    And I'm not saying that to be snarky -- maybe this great performance will allow Jones to relax when he's on the big stage for the Orioles.    This could be a harbinger of one of those magical career years.   

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

You know, after mulling it over a bit I kinda want GI Jones to be a thing.

Would make a great t-shirt.

And I really don't care for folks recycling nicknames.  David Wright was Captain America.

Except, even with the strong military connection, Adam never served. At least in that way. He is a bit of a super hero though. Especially for the children. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

Except, even with the strong military connection, Adam never served. At least in that way. He is a bit of a super hero though. Especially for the children. 

Captain America is ever bit the veteran that GI Joe is.

Both are cartoons/comics/movies/toys that draw from the military.

I'm not sure how one is OK and the other wouldn't be.

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

14W0AYc.jpg

I actually like this shot better.

If I can be contrarian just for a moment:  it's a very good catch, but this picture shows Jones really wasn't at full extension.  He's what, 18 inches off the ground?    It's a very good play but we've seen him make many tougher catches in his career.    

Archived