The Outfield Dilemma

Answerman

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Do you think that is somehow a binding agreement?

I can certainly see a scenario where Trumbo moves back into his almost an everyday outfielder position and Pedro once again becomes a platoon DH. 

No, I do not see it as binding BUT I see it as a way to place him on the Norfolk Roster until his OPT OUT date (May???) and get no flack from him or his agent (Boris).  Pedro was being touted as an Infielder/Outfielder by Boris through the winter.  The Orioles signed him to a MiLB contract for him to prove that the outfield portion of the sales pitch was GENUINE.  Time is for Pedro to put up the proof in Norfolk.

Now if he is raking at Norfolk and Trumbo is off to his usual early hitting trend with others on the roster not producing then yes your scenario of Mark Trumbo being in the Outfield will probably play out.

19 hours ago, Answerman said:

Having just returned from four consecutive spring training games, I can say Joey Rickard was the most effective position player I saw all week. Second place wasn't close. He has to be on this team.

Why would you trust your observation of 4 games over the 85 games we saw last year where he played to a negative WAR? Numbers that line up with his minor league history and his projections (all negative WAR).

Well if Smith starts on the DL,it might give the Orioles some time. I could see Trumbo in right and Pedro at DH. Against righties.

outfielder Seth Smith is nearing two full weeks on the sidelines with a hamstring injury that has lingered longer than he or the team hoped, but said he’s confident he won’t need to start the season on the disabled list.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-seth-smith-confident-hamstring-injury-won-t-require-season-opening-dl-stint-20170321-story.html

12 hours ago, Moondoggie said:

In truth, it's not even remotely possible for the Orioles to field the outfield I want from within the organization. I want an outfield with speedy, athletic types that can cover lots of ground, play good defense and get on base. Lots of other clubs seem to have them. The Orioles just keep loading up on corner infielders and trying to remake them as outfielders. They're completely obsessed with home runs.

That's because they believe they can go without elite starting pitching if they have a bunch of bombers and elite relief pitching ... it's Duquette's formula ... if you are going to give the other team extra runs early on, you need guys who can quickly get them back for you in the later innings ...

2 hours ago, Phantom said:

Why would you trust your observation of 4 games over the 85 games we saw last year where he played to a negative WAR? Numbers that line up with his minor league history and his projections (all negative WAR).

Statcast has cast doubt on the defensive component of Rickard's negative WAR, which many people disputed using the eye test.   As to offense, Rickard had ups and downs last year, and was hitting pretty well when he got hurt, so it's reasonable to believe he'll do better this season.    I'm not saying I'm sold on the guy, but I don't think WAR figures from 2016 are the sole determinant here.     Obviously, 4 spring training games aren't, either.    

1 hour ago, OrioleMagic79 said:

That's because they believe they can go without elite starting pitching if they have a bunch of bombers and elite relief pitching ... it's Duquette's formula ... if you are going to give the other team extra runs early on, you need guys who can quickly get them back for you in the later innings ...

What happened to the days when Dan kept trading for Pedro Martinez?

(Of course I realize the Expos and Red Sox actually had something to trade for him.)

24 minutes ago, dan-O said:

I'm willing to overlook Rickard's shakiness in LF (I think he'll get better, though) for the skillset and energy he brings to the team. We need a guy that can run and make contact and has a good eye. We overlook Kim's defense for the same reasons (minus the running), so I'm not sure why Rickard is getting so much heat.

Also - he's got more power than Kim IMO. Rickard is an asset and he is 100% making the 25-man roster in some kind of role. 

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/player?player_id=572073&player_type=batter

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/player?player_id=547957&pos=7&player_type=batter

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

MLB statcast says Rickard has more range than Jones. Even if slightly. Also says Trumbo is the worst in baseball on routine (1 star) plays, By a large margin. 

Trumbo was better than terrible last year but both Kim and Trumbo have no place in the OF.

Archived